• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best wishes to all our friends in VA

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080429/D90B6K0O0.html

[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"] RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Apparent tornadoes swept through central and southeastern Virginia on Monday afternoon, damaging multiple homes and buildings and injuring more than 200 people, authorities said. Gov. Timothy M. Kaine declared a state of emergency for the damaged areas of southeastern Virginia.
Two apparent tornadoes struck the city of Suffolk, city spokeswoman Dana Woodson said. Bob Spieldenner from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management said at least 200 people were injured there.
At least 18 more people were injured when the storm hit Colonial Heights, Spieldenner said. Three of those were taken to hospitals. Woodson initially said one person died in Suffolk but later said the death was not connected to the storm.
Sentara Obici Hospital in Suffolk was damaged, but remained operational, Spieldenner said. Another hospital in the city also was treating the injured, Woodson said.

Please let us know if we can help.
[/font]

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

I live in Suffolk and my dad owns a business there. Luckily everything at my parents' house was fine, but they said 1/4 mile down the road there are buildings down to the foundation.

Hopefully everything turns out alright.

It's sad.

ODA 226

imported post

Thanks Deep. I'm currently in Germany and was freaking out until my sister went to my place and told me that I wasn't touched.

Unfortunately a guy I work with had his house destroyed. He went back to the states yesterday. Please pray for him and his family (who were not hurt thank God).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Please pray for him and his family (who were not hurt thank God).
Done!

My wife and I are NOAA spotters. We were in Petersburg when Colonial Heights got hit and then went to Suffolk later. That's the worst storm path I've ever seen in Virginia.

That makes 3 confirmed tornado producing storms this month we have looked at and through the grace of God, no one has been killed. I didn't know you were overseas ODA. I'll PM you my phone number. Call if you need anything!

Just to give you an idea of how lucky people have been this month, the tornado in Chesterfield hop skipped. This fellow had straight line wind damage to the trees in front of his house and the siding sucked out on one side of the house only. It looks like the rotation bumped one end of the house and hopped while there were straight line winds in front. No other damage.

small10.jpg

Bullbuster

imported post

I seen 4 tornado's touch down here at Naval Station Norfolk while at work 2 only lasted but a few seconds. My causon was working on pier 2 whenone hit there.Had one of my night checkers house hit by one in Portsmouth. One of our day checkers lives in Suffolk and had adecentamount of damage at her place but the neighbors behind her lost their house.
Never seen anything like it in my life. I felt like I was in the movie twister. All I grew up with was dust devils in SE WA. So far no report of anyone killed which is great considering the damage and time of day.

saluney

imported post

I live in Suffolk also. I watch it touchdown from my work in downtown over my home near the hospital. Called my house to check on my daughter and g-son. They were in the bath tub and very scared. She saw it coming across the field behind our house and ran for cover.We lost only a tree, wich fell on a neighbors truck. Many trees and power lines down. Two doors down several neighbors had heavy damage but thankfully no one hurt physically.