• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off-roading, Open Carry, and Tresspassing

XD40coyote

imported post

Take up trapping and drive around tractor lanes after a rain to check trapsLOL- of course the land owner might get pissed at you for making ruts and messes- or worst yet- getting stuck!

I have driven on some crappy farm dirt lanes, water filled ditches you clunk-clunk into then have to gun it to get up out of, deep ruts, etc. Gotten stuck before too. Really quite stupid and I just park next to the paved road or something and walk in now anyway- no more of that crap. Worst was damned groundhog hole and bent my driveshaft.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Guys, I hate to ruin your fun but off roading does a tremendous amount of damage. It cuts ruts and compacts the land.

I had one outbreak of people going off road on my property and I buried boards with 10 inch pole barn spikes in them, at every access point I could find. It stopped after that. Imagine that!

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Guys, I hate to ruin your fun but off roading does a tremendous amount of damage. It cuts ruts and compacts the land.

I had one outbreak of people going off road on my property and I buried boards with 10 inch pole barn spikes in them, at every access point I could find. It stopped after that. Imagine that!
You are one dirty harry :^). As long as you don't get too far out there like a landowner down here did when he got tired of people running motocross through his land. He put up aircraft cable across one trail and caught a rider under the chin - killed him. I'm pretty sure the land owner no longer owns that land.

casullshooter

imported post

When you get stuck call a friend that has a Diesel Truck to pull you out. 700 lb-ft. of torque (double to triple most gas engines) and better fuel milage.

I love that politically incorrect black smoke too........:p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:

You are one dirty harry :^). As long as you don't get too far out there like a landowner down here did when he got tired of people running motocross through his land. He put up aircraft cable across one trail and caught a rider under the chin - killed him. I'm pretty sure the land owner no longer owns that land.
It's not something I'd want to hurt someone over, especially since they were kids....but 4 expensive flats is funny as hell....or at least I thought so!:D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

casullshooter wrote:
When you get stuck call a friend that has a Diesel Truck to pull you out. 700 lb-ft. of torque (double to triple most gas engines) and better fuel milage.

I love that politically incorrect black smoke too........:p

Yeah....I love mine too...until I have to fill it up.

nova

imported post

Off-roading doesn't damage the land nearly as much as paving a road through a forest does... ;)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nova wrote:
casullshooter wrote: Off-roading doesn't damage the land nearly as much as paving a road through a forest does... ;)

Your right nova...but I don't have any paved roads either. I'm two miles from the nearest paved road. The roads I cut are all seeded (sod roads) using something that's useful for wildlife. I have no utility easements or poles as I'm 100% off grid. Everything is powered by solar, hydro or wind. The septic system is a composting type so no discharge into the groundwater and I sawed all the lumber for the house on my own sawmill, with my own trees and cured in my own solar kiln.

Water is from one of my three springs and pumped using solar electricity.

The trees were replanted BTW.

mirwin

imported post

Not to try and start an argument, but some NATURAL resources, are meant to be used. I admire your effort to help the environment but I think you may be going a bit overboard.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

mirwin wrote:
Not to try and start an argument, but some NATURAL resources, are meant to be used. I admire your effort to help the environment but I think you may be going a bit overboard.

Oh really!
You might be right. When you pay for it, I'll consider your opinion. Until then, it ain't subject to a vote!

mirwin

imported post

I'll stop it at that, I don't want to start an argument. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Renegade

imported post

If you are interested in some really enjoyable off-roading plan on spending a weekend every now and then. Within a few hours of NOVA are many public lands that have "unimproved roads" that can get pretty nasty at times. Private lands are best though. Crozet, Paragon (still open?), etc.

I have personally wheeled all up and down the east coast from PA down to FL - even wheeled out west in CO and UT. I always carry.

Attachments

• szymecki.jpg
    szymecki.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 140

JeffersonDavis

imported post

peter nap wrote:

Your right nova...but I don't have any paved roads either. I'm two miles from the nearest paved road. The roads I cut are all seeded (sod roads) using something that's useful for wildlife. I have no utility easements or poles as I'm 100% off grid. Everything is powered by solar, hydro or wind. The septic system is a composting type so no discharge into the groundwater and I sawed all the lumber for the house on my own sawmill, with my own trees and cured in my own solar kiln.

The trees were replanted BTW

Guns emit lead and carbon so you should probably be on a bow and arrow forum...:D

nova

imported post

Renegade wrote:
If you are interested in some really enjoyable off-roading plan on spending a weekend every now and then. Within a few hours of NOVA are many public lands that have "unimproved roads" that can get pretty nasty at times. Private lands are best though. Crozet, Paragon (still open?), etc.

I have personally wheeled all up and down the east coast from PA down to FL - even wheeled out west in CO and UT. I always carry.
I had planned on making a trip to Paragon with my truck ...but before I could plan it I saw the bad news on their website :(

But right now my truck is destined to stay on safe ground until I find a junkyard that has some skidplates for my truck since the dealer no longer stocks them...

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

JeffersonDavis wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Guns emit lead and carbon so you should probably be on a bow and arrow forum...:D

I am! Several actually.

You do make me think though. Lets see, this weekend I have to plow and plant game plots and our garden and I might shoot a turkey....but back at my burb house, it's race weekend at RIR. How could I possibly want to spend the time in peace and quiet while I could be here, watching 10,000 drunken idiots snarl up traffic and cheer cars going in circles. Not to mention the cop at every intersection and the wave of soccer moms trying to get little bumbleass Jr. to the game on time.

Shucks, I could even drive down to the beach and look at the BEEUITUFUL skyline and even buy some genuine saltwater taffy ,,,that's made in China.

While I am there, I could go to Chesapeake and spend some time with the farmer I bought my tractor from.. No wait, a developer bought his farm. It's full of little houses owned by retired Jewish folks from New York now.

What was I thinking?:shock:

nova

imported post

peter nap wrote:
JeffersonDavis wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I am! Several actually.

You do make me think though. Lets see, this weekend I have to plow and plant game plots and our garden and I might shoot a turkey....but back at my burb house, it's race weekend at RIR. How could I possibly want to spend the time in peace and quiet while I could be here, watching 10,000 drunken idiots snarl up traffic and cheer cars going in circles. Not to mention the cop at every intersection and the wave of soccer moms trying to get little bumbleass Jr. to the game on time.

Shucks, I could even drive down to the beach and look at the BEEUITUFUL skyline and even buy some genuine saltwater taffy ,,,that's made in China.

While I am there, I could go to Chesapeake and spend some time with the farmer I bought my tractor from.. No wait, a developer bought his farm. It's full of little houses owned by retired Jewish folks from New York now.

What was I thinking?:shock:
your post explains exactly why after I finish college I want to move to the western part of the state somewhere between Winchester and Blacksburg :cool:

Tomahawk

imported post

nova wrote:
your post explains exactly why after I finish college I want to move to the western part of the state somewhere between Winchester and Blacksburg :cool:
Take a number. I would if I could get a job in my chosen profession. Unfortunately, for engineers, DC metro area is where the work's at right now.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
nova wrote:
Take a number. I would if I could get a job in my chosen profession. Unfortunately, for engineers, DC metro area is where the work's at right now.
That does make it difficult, doesn't it Tomahawk. You spend the first part of your life preparing for a career, then working and raising a family. When you reach the point where you can move where you want, a major chunk of your life is gone and you can't do what you once could.

I had to do some roof work on my house today. Once I could carry three bundles of shingles up a ladder. Too many years wearing a tie have gone by though. Today it was one at a time and bitch about it in between.