• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off-roading, Open Carry, and Tresspassing

nova

imported post

Just kidding...I wouldn't want to tresspass on someone elses land when off-roading, but sometimes it is unavoidable when land isn't posted.

I was thinking of bringing along a pistol with me when going on my treks in the woods and grasslands, so I was just wondering, if I did end up on someone's property and did get charged with tresspassing, would there be any extra charges tacked on because I had a gun with me?

I know in some other states (you know which ones...;) ) they'll tack on a charge such as "possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime" or something of that nature.

Just wondering if Virginia had anything like that or if I'm good to go (and be careful of course)

Thanks!

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Off roading in Northern VA!!!???:what:I wish I could find a place to get a little muddy, but it just isn't possible in northern virginia anymore. Be careful where you go. Over by AOL in Leesburg I knew of a guy who went back on the trails and got stopped by a LEO back there. He didn't realize that the land was DULLES AIRPORT's:banghead: Well $25k later and not allowed on government land without calling ahead just sucks. I would hate for them to find a gun in your vehicle on Dulles Airport property. Not saying your going there, but just making a point. Just be careful where you off road. always make sure that you have permission of the person who owns the land IN WRITING before you go.:)
Here is my baby.
10725-15177-216839.jpg

Neplusultra

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Off roading in Northern VA!!!???:what:I wish I could find a place to get a little muddy, but it just isn't possible in northern virginia anymore. Be careful where you go. Over by AOL in Leesburg I knew of a guy who went back on the trails and got stopped by a LEO back there. He didn't realize that the land was DULLES AIRPORT's:banghead: Well $25k later and not allowed on government land without calling ahead just sucks. I would hate for them to find a gun in your vehicle on Dulles Airport property. Not saying your going there, but just making a point. Just be careful where you off road. always make sure that you have permission of the person who owns the land IN WRITING before you go.:)
Here is my baby.
THE HAYFIELD PITS!!!! OH, YEAH. Too many stories to tell..... First time I ever rolled a vehicle. I was on my way to a job interview and had a some extra time, so what better thing to do but go pit riding. That was a mistake. Long interesting story made short I made it home to clean up the blood and made it to the interview in time and got the job. HA! Those were fun days, back when I had no respect for traffic laws, driving was so much fun, I was free except for those three pages of traffic tickets. Now that I've gotten responsible, eh. Point A to Point B.

Maybe I'll post photos of the Baha Bug if I can find them......... I've got the stories.

Didn't even own a gun back then so I guess I'm off topic.

nova

imported post

Nice truck!

Here's a crappy phone pic of the last time I really pushed it to the limit (crossing several ditches that were a foot deep and nose diving the truck into one...lucky my bull bar took the brunt of that! :)) with grass that was above the wheels in height.

dodgegrass2.jpg

mydak.jpg

I'm sure that where I go is public land before I go there...most of the time...hence the question for those times when property isn't posted.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Thanks man! I have spent so much on that damn truck lol. Nice dakota you have there. If it isn't posted then that is a good question. It would all depend on where you ended up and how the owner of the land felt. I.E. wanted to press charges. Maybe LEO 229 knows some more about that and maybe even a few legal places to recommend to off roaders like us who are trying to stay legal in the concrete jungle of northern VA.:banghead:

Neplusultra

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Thanks man! I have spent so much on that damn truck lol. Nice dakota you have there. If it isn't posted then that is a good question. It would all depend on where you ended up and how the owner of the land felt. I.E. wanted to press charges. Maybe LEO 229 knows some more about that and maybe even a few legal places to recommend to off roaders like us who are trying to stay legal in the concrete jungle of northern VA.:banghead:
I take it you guys are young and live in NOVA, modern NOVA. I really do have to find those pictures...... :^). Of course my vehicle at the time was NO WHERE NEAR what your vehicles are worth....

Which may be why I used to do what I used to do :D

LEO 229

imported post

Sorry.... I know of no place to go off roading.

I know there is aproblem with people doing donuts on the park grass and tearing it up.

I do not recommend that... it costs thousands to fix it.

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

I know there is aproblem with people doing donuts on the park grass and tearing it up.

Where do the cops do donuts then????? I've seen them do it, just was a long time ago. Ah, so much fun in the snow covered parking lot of the local Catholic Church. HA! Now I remember the name. Good Shepard, in Mount Vernon. How many 360's can you do???

LEO 229

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Where do the cops do donuts then????? I've seen them do it, just was a long time ago. Ah, so much fun in the snow covered parking lot of the local Catholic Church. HA! Now I remember the name. Good Shepard, in Mount Vernon. How many 360's can you do???
Is that the videoon Fairfax Underground?

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Is that the videoon Fairfax Underground?
Not unless it's 25 years old. Do you have a link? Who knows, perhaps someone was videotaping in Betamax?

streetdoc

imported post

nova wrote:
Just kidding...I wouldn't want to tresspass on someone elses land when off-roading, but sometimes it is unavoidable when land isn't posted. ....

Thanks!
The biggest difference between property being posted or not posted is the amount of the fine that you can be given if you are on private property with out the written permissionof the owner. If I remember correctly $2500 and up to a year in jailfor posted and $500 for unposted property.

eyesopened

imported post

I've seen people offroading in Leesburg near Pevs paintball. Not sure if it's legal or not, probably not, but I used to see them all the time when I was an avid paintballer.

I have the same bar on my 4Runner:

4runner1.jpg

I wouldn't call it a bull bar by anymeans though. I took the truck offroading at Rausch Creek in PA and bent the tab for the light. A little coercion with a hammer bent it back, but a real bull bar wouldn't have had an issue. I'd love to get an ARB or Shrockworks bar one day.

nova

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I've seen people offroading in Leesburg near Pevs paintball. Not sure if it's legal or not, probably not, but I used to see them all the time when I was an avid paintballer.

I have the same bar on my 4Runner:

4runner1.jpg

I wouldn't call it a bull bar by anymeans though. I took the truck offroading at Rausch Creek in PA and bent the tab for the light. A little coercion with a hammer bent it back, but a real bull bar wouldn't have had an issue. I'd love to get an ARB or Shrockworks bar one day.
Well mine definately held up well through all I put it through...nose diving it into a ditch was nothing compared to what happened later that spring when someone lost control and slid sideways into the front of my truck at 20mph...

baaa.jpg

Force was enough that part of the other car hit my front headlight and broke the lense and put a good dent in the fender...and knocked out my fog light...
But the "safari bar" as the company calls it held up just fine, and even protected my Hella 500 lights on the bar...they still work just fine to this day :)

Last edited:

eyesopened

imported post

Yikes, looks like it held up pretty good. The tabs for the light are pretty thin so I wasn't suprised it bent when I went down the incline a little too fast, but the bar itself is pretty solid. I bought it mainly to protect the front end from people who parallel park "by feel". On the rear bumper I have my tow hitch sticking out to deter people from running into the back of me :lol:

We even have the same lights - I guess we both have good taste :cool:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I have driven out there by Pevs and it is all blocked off with concrete barriers except for a little tiny bit I guess. I don't think it is very legal, but I see people out there all the time. I wish someone would just open an offroad park in leesburg for people in northern virginia. Oh also a motocross park too:lol: Too bad land in northern virginia is so darn expensive:banghead:

nova

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Yikes, looks like it held up pretty good. The tabs for the light are pretty thin so I wasn't suprised it bent when I went down the incline a little too fast, but the bar itself is pretty solid. I bought it mainly to protect the front end from people who parallel park "by feel". On the rear bumper I have my tow hitch sticking out to deter people from running into the back of me :lol:

We even have the same lights - I guess we both have good taste :cool:
Same here! Back in high school I used to park behind the school in the street and I did have a few idiots back into my truck...good powdercoating on the bar scraped the paint on THEIR cars which just wiped off my bar with a wet cloth :D

Also have a trailer hitch on the back of mine as well, for the same reason...
And it's worked :)

Those are some nice toyotas! I looked at tacomas back a few years ago but they were too small for me inside them so I found the Dodge Dakota which could come with a V8 (which I got... a 5.2L (318 cubic inch) ) in a "compact" truck makes for a fun vehicle on and off road :)