• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry: Tactically Useless and Politically Shameful?

ShadowOfTheHat

imported post

I started to post this as a Reply to this thread in the "Tactics & Personal Defense" section of 1911forum.com, asking them the question, "Why are y'all so concerned about being concealed?"

Then I decided I didn't want to hijack their discussion and I posted it the "Legal and Political" section of the 1911forum. Hopefully it generates some good conversation, but here's the copy below if you're interested . . .

Let me first say this: Outside of the Corps (20+ years ago), I have never carried as a citizen, though I plan to as soon as I feel confident in my training to do so, which I am working on now. Also, I do plan to get my CCW, though at this point it's more a matter of convenience than a desire to actually conceal. That being said, I hope you can solidify my armchair logic , or change my mind here . . . so, "Why are y'all so concerned about being concealed?"

Aside from any potential tactical advantage of surprise or avoiding the dreaded gun grab, IMHO I feel concealed carry does more overall harm than good when looking at the bigger picture.

I say this for several reasons:

1) As Americans, we should be proud of our RIGHT to legally and responsibly carry. Most citizens around the world can't carry at all, and if we don't turn the tide against those Americans who find open carry to be "socially unacceptable" or "discomforting," we too soon shall join the rest of the world and you won't have to worry about concealing it. To me, concealing equates to slinking around almost shamefully, and amounts to no more than allowing the government and political correctness to subdue you to into being embarrassed that you carry. We are on the verge of no carry at all, and once they turn the corner on that, there's no going back.

2) Over 10,000 people in my county alone applied for purchase and/or ccw permits last year. I would bet for most of them it's a knee-jerk reaction to our local crime scene, as well as it being their first time owning or handling a firearm. If for no other reason than I don't want a single inexperienced person who happens to have a "paper CCW" opening fire while I'm in range, these people need every opportunity we can give them to learn and discuss the seriousness of their undertaking. By openly carrying in public, we show them it's not shameful or sneaky to be armed, and for those who are interested, we get to discuss guns (yeah!) and educate them about ownership. Every wonder why people who conceal feel compelled to tell someone they see openly carrying that they too are carrying? It's our duty to inform and educate others about why we do, and how they too can learn to defend themselves.

3) From the crime reports we hear about daily in our local news, it's apparent that the thugs we have here living here have zero regard for human life. They'd just as soon kill you for fun as they would take your wallet. They're also not too bright to begin with. That being said, if they walk into a store and see five people and no guns, either they figure, "No one's armed" or "Maybe 2 out of 5 are armed" and they act, figuring they'll take their chances. In most cases, they're right - either the shoppers are not armed, or if they are the concealed carriers are sure keeping their guns hidden since all we hear around here is how the BG's get away all the time. Conversely, if the BG walks into to a store and sees three armed people, he's likely to choose easier game. If he does engage, then he'd forced to choose a first target. If he's successful with his first choice, the other should be able to take him out, or they shouldn't be carrying. In fact, if all three are true shepherds, then they should see what's about to happen before the BG makes his move.

4) Lastly, and I have no proof to back this up (except that I see and read that "most" people who carry have never been in a gunfight on the street), I have to conclude that no matter how you carry, the odds of being killed are very slim. If this is true, and we then assume you open carry, the odds of you getting killed because you didn't have the element of surprise or because someone took your gun away from you and used it on you, though perhaps slightly higher than if you had concealed, would still be extremely low. Therefore, we can conclude that your morning commute is probably more dangerous than open carrying, and that as a lawfully armed citizen you could take that risk and live your whole life doing a ton of good for others (see points # 1 and 2).

=========

Okay, so let the games begin. Slam me up one side and down the other. I know I'm a newbie, and still wet behind the ears, and all that. But, I'm here to learn, so learn me oh wise ones!

Dave

acritical

imported post

Very well written. I have my CHP, but mainly for a reason of convenience. When it is cold or raining and I have to wear a jacket, I do not have to worry about the fact that my firearm is covered. Unless I am going to the bank or some place that is post "No Concealed Weapons".

Other than that, I open carry whereever I go.

Oh yeah, would also probably conceal when going to church. Again, jacket.

ShadowOfTheHat

imported post

So here's the first words of wisdom I got over at 1911:

"I don't carry openly because I think it's poser-silly and offers nothing for me as far as self-protection goes. Mall ninja stuff, as far as I'm concerned."

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Eloquent and intelligent. Great combo and post, but the 1911forum crowd is a little squemish about OC as you'll begin to see. There is a more heterogenous mixture over there that includes many collectors and sport shooters who generally don't even carry their pistols.

Sa45auto

imported post

For me how I carry is a matter of confort, choice and necessity.

There are times when it is not prudent for others to know that I am armed, so I conceal.

There are times when for comfort's sake I carry openly, or conceald as needed.

There are times when for tactical reasons I conceal or opencarry as I chose.

Having a permit to carry allows me to chose, as needed.

ShadowOfTheHat

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Eloquent and intelligent. Great combo and post, but the 1911forum crowd is a little squemish about OC as you'll begin to see. There is a more heterogenous mixture over there that includes many collectors and sport shooters who generally don't even carry their pistols.

Boy you said that right! I'm getting slammed over there!! 3 pages long, 54 posts, and they're still hammering away me.

You guys should be over there at least lurking on this one - they do make some pretty strong arguments . . .

Dave

Gunslinger

imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
For me how I carry is a matter of confort, choice and necessity.

There are times when it is not prudent for others to know that I am armed, so I conceal.

There are times when for comfort's sake I carry openly, or conceald as needed.

There are times when for tactical reasons I conceal or opencarry as I chose.

Having a permit to carry allows me to chose, as needed.
I agree. Often, I carry under a jacket that, when opened, exposes the holster and pistol. I don't worry about it, as I have a CCW. In hot weather, I use a fanny pack to carry because it is the most comfortable. In Colorado Springs, OC is rarely a problem, and 100% legal. You can CC in CO without a permit in your car. So, living here, it's not a problem no matter what my choice is. I open carried a bit in NH, and a lot in VA. Indeed, having a permit allows me the choice. Well said, Sa45!