• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hidden or open gun?

packnrat

imported post

what makes a conceld carry ver open carry?

i have a old surplus pistol i might like to carry. it is in a factory holster with a cover flap. would this be a "hidden" gun or a open gun?

the holster is shaped like a pistol and has a tool for cleaning and spare mags.

the pistol is a swedish P-40 lahti, a better ver of the german luger.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OCDO.

Even though the holster is shaped like a pistol (guessing you mean it generally follows the outline of the pistol) and has places for trappings that would suggest a pistol accompanies them, there are potential problems that need to be addressed and resolved.

For instance, Virginia law says that a handgun must be in plain view or it is considered to be concealed, yet the courts have handed down a confusing array of opinions regarding the ability to discern that a handgun is a handgun by the fact that only the grip was clearly visible (Va "IWB open carry") and that a pistol temporarily obscured from the officer's view by a duffle bag the defendant was holding was concealed. There are more, but these ought to be enough to start you on a lifetime of :cuss:and :banghead:.

So, in answer to your question, and based on Virginia case law, the answer to your question
would this be a "hidden" gun or a open[ly carried]gun?
is a unmitigated, definate, unqualified "Maybe."

Go read the statutes in your state, and then find the case law, and then roll the dice and see what happens between you and the local cops and then the courts. As Red Green used to say, "I'll be pullin' for ya."

On a personal note, I'd say that some folks are going to be more concerned about your ability to draw with speed that whether or not your holster qualifies as open or concealed carry.

stay safe.

skidmark

packnrat

imported post

well i am traped in ca,:banghead:

as i have been told by "leo" that even having a fixed bladed knife "coverd" by my jacket is hidden and =jail time.

and seeing as this covers the pistol completley, swedan wanted to "protect" the pistols in question.

would post a photo but not sure how. working on that.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I like the military flap holsters because they DO protect the gun. And like your Lahti's holster, mine has a cleaning rod holder and extra magazine pocket. Neat.

I hope they are legal for OC in NM...and hopefully, in TX when we get OC here.

BTW, does the "accelerator" feature of your Lahti cause any problems shooting it in warm/hot weather? Do you notice any diference in recoil shooting in cold vs. hot weather?

-- John D.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

packnrat wrote:
would post a photo but not sure how. working on that.
Click on: Reply

Near the bottom of hte reply window is an empty text box that reads to the left "Attachment" and has a button to the right reading "Browse..."

Click on browse, pick out the pic you want to post and it is pretty self-evident from there. You can only post one pic per post using that feature to the best of knowledge (or at least I have never been able to post more than one).