• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing in Erie - A journal

JNod

imported post

First off, I would like to thank everyone for the useful information that I have gathered here and I have decided to start OC'ing some of the time. Normally I CC, but with the warmer months coming up, I don't want to add more layers than necessary to conceal my XD9 4".

4/28/08
Today was a lovely day, 40ish degrees and off and on rain. I really wanted to OC for the first time today, but wearing a sweatshirt was necessary for most of the time I spent at work.

Hilltop Beer - Harborcreek
Work: Used a sweatshirt most of the day, but got warm enough receiving new inventory to take the sweatshirt off. Figured now or never and went for it. It was liberating and cooling. Eventually went back to CC due to the temp, but before hand one of the delivery guys noticed my XD and we talked a little about how unsafe retail is at night. Otherwise it was uneventful and no customers at the time to worry about.

Tomorrow I carry to school for the first time and take advantage(?) of my school having a locker where I can store the gun while I am getting my school on. I hope it goes smoothly as I have not used this service before.

Thank you again and I look forward to learning more and conversing with you all.

JNod

imported post

I am at Gannon, which is a Catholic university. I didn't know whether they would allow me to deposit my firearm or not, but they have that policy for oncampus students who hunt, so I called and they allow it. I was pretty shocked too! It might help their safety mentality that LEO are kitty corner to most of the campus buildings.

I didn't grab my carry before I left this morning because I was running on a tight schedule and did not know how long the process would take, but I do have to go back later this evening and will carry then.

Bootleggers Bar/grill - Harborcreek
Seeing as how a small outing is planned for a birthday tomorrow evening, I decided to call ahead and ask the manager what her policy on OC is. The answer was not good. Before I even got to explain that I would be DD'ing that night, she told me "I perfer they aren't in here at all" and quickly hung up.

I would honestly perfer to just OC in and see how things go, but I won't ruin someone's birthday party for my own reasons, so I guess I get to CC tomorrow followed by not serving them again with my business.

OnlineErie.com

imported post

JNod wrote:
It might help their safety mentality that LEO are kitty corner to most of the campus buildings.
JNOD,

I work across the street from Gannon at the Pa. DOC Community Corrections Center.

I am NOT permitted to have my firearm on the DOCproperty, NOT even in the parking lot. When I do have it with me on the way to work, I have to park on the street and secure my firearm in my truck. I REALLY do not like doing that!!

Dave Martin
Pa. DOC

JNod

imported post

4/29/08
Cornerstone Bar/Grill
- Erie
Walked into the building with my sweatshirt on. When I sat at the bar I removed and rested it on the back of the chair. Ordered coffee and lunch. No strange looks that I noticed, not sure if anyone even knew I was carrying. Was super nervous, but everything went smoothly.

School
Check in was easy. Filled out a form, put the gun in storage, went to class, came back and picked it up. So stunningly easy that I expected to be cuffed walking on my way to my truck, but the campus seems to like giving their students some freedom with 2A. There was one rifle in a case also that I saw and that was it. Was on my way home.

Dave, do you know of any good places to OC in Erie? If you do, perhaps we can meet up for a sammich sometime. Maybe I can walk with you to work too and protect you. If you ask nicely, I might even hold your hand to cross the street. :lol:

Bersa45

imported post

I have open carried in Texas Roadhouse in Erie several times. Wifey and I go there at least twice a month for dinner. So, you are saying that Max and Erma is very gun friendly. Maybe we will visit that the next time. Try something different right.:D

imperialism2024

imported post

As for restaurants and their policy regarding firearms, I'd tend to believe that the vast majority don't have a problem with OCers, even in groups, coming there and eating. But if people start complaining, or the police show up, they just don't want their restaurants being the scene of it, and will thus turn anti-OC... see the Dickson City OCB.

steveforopen

imported post

Max and Erma's hosted our open carry fellowship dinner for PAFOA & Open Carry members. It garnished some small, positive media coverage. Two of us from PAFOA were lucky to be interviewed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyJekNPwPjA

Bersa45 wrote:
I have open carried in Texas Roadhouse in Erie several times. Wifey and I go there at least twice a month for dinner. So, you are saying that Max and Erma is very gun friendly. Maybe we will visit that the next time. Try something different right.:D