• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Report vs discussion threads

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

So whats everyones thoughts on having some threads designated as reporting only/minimal discussion threads? I think this is something that is somewhat in effect already, but it seems like the forum gets into tangental discussion that can go on for pages. There is nothing wrong with that except certain threads are there to document trailblazing efforts and side disscussions can muddy the waters so to speak.

Flintlock

imported post

longwatch wrote:
So whats everyones thoughts on having some threads designated as reporting only/minimal discussion threads? I think this is something that is somewhat in effect already, but it seems like the forum gets into tangental discussion that can go on for pages. There is nothing wrong with that except certain threads are there to document trailblazing efforts and side disscussions can muddy the waters so to speak.
I like the conceptbut I think it would be equally difficult to manage. In the Virginia updates, if someone had an OCissue at a restaurant for example, itcould linger into a long thread of debate until the next issue occurred instead of just having it's own thread from the beggining...

I am fine with either way as long aswe are discussing topics and learning.

imperialism2024

imported post

Well, I'm a fan of, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

What threads or kinds of threads do you have in mind?

It seems to me that side discussions that detract from the original topic fall into two categories: 1) off-topic digressions that are typically intentionally meant to distract from the subject matter, and 2) legitimate discussions of the validity of the original topic. The former can be controlled by cracking down on OT posts again, and the latter shouldn't be stifled, in my opinion.

Not to mention that announcement-type threads can be stickied by a mod and then locked, to provide news and such.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We used to do those on a forum I moderated. We had a system that worked pretty well, but it required vigilance from the mods and admins.

When someone wanted a reporting only thread they would so state in the OP, thread title or thread description.

Once that was requested the mods would enforce it.

The first few OT comments would be mod edited to state something like: Thank you for your comments, however this is a reporting only thread - no discussion. Please start a separeate thread for any discussion. - Moderator"

Later OT comments would just be deleted without mod/admin comment. Not a big deal once people get use to it.

LEO 229

imported post

Notnecessary.

Nothing is broken here that needs to be fixed.

LEO 229

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Notnecessary.

Nothing is broken here that needs to be fixed.
How does that go?

"Move along, nothing to see here.. :::Tap, Tap, Tap :::"
:lol: You got it down perfectly!!