• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MI case law on open carry for CPL in .234d places

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

On the MGO site

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25311&page=2

Mr. Simmons Esq. mentions a case where someone with a CPL was convicted while openly carrying in a gun free zone. Because the person is a client he would not elaborate on the case. I have zero information other then his post below. I don't know when it was, where it was, what judge, if it was appealed. I post here only as a cautionary tale. Does the judge interpret the exemption to mean that you can carry concealed in these zone in contradiction to the new CPL laws? It would be very important to know what year this case was tried.

His post from MGO:

"I agree with you that the way the law reads, it should be legal. And I agree with the reasoning behind 7113. But I know of one case where a district judge rejected 7113 and convicted a CPL holder for open carry in a CEZ. The judge ruled that the 324d(2)(c) exception applied only to CPL holders carrying concealed.

Bottom line: until an appellate court says what we think the law says, there's enough wiggle room that I say don't do it. What constitutes enough wiggle room? People getting convicted."

Attorney at Law
Shelby Township, MI
NRA Pistol Instructor Class Graduate, RSO

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Venator wrote:
On the MGO site

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25311&page=2

Mr. Simmons Esq. mentions a case where someone with a CPL was convicted while openly carrying in a gun free zone. Because the person is a client he would not elaborate on the case. I have zero information other then his post below. I don't know when it was, where it was, what judge, if it was appealed. I post here only as a cautionary tale. Does the judge interpret the exemption to mean that you can carry concealed in these zone in contradiction to the new CPL laws? It would be very important to know what year this case was tried.

His post from MGO:

"I agree with you that the way the law reads, it should be legal. And I agree with the reasoning behind 7113. But I know of one case where a district judge rejected 7113 and convicted a CPL holder for open carry in a CEZ. The judge ruled that the 324d(2)(c) exception applied only to CPL holders carrying concealed.

Bottom line: until an appellate court says what we think the law says, there's enough wiggle room that I say don't do it. What constitutes enough wiggle room? People getting convicted."

Attorney at Law
Shelby Township, MI
NRA Pistol Instructor Class Graduate, RSO

IMO, yes, but there's no way to know for sure until we have the date of his decision, at the very least.

Odd, 234d clearly reads: possession of a firearm. It does not mention concealed or openly carried firearm.

Only subsection (2) (c) Licensed by this state or another state to CC.

I suspect this case was before preemption (In 1990, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 123.1102) or possibly before 234d was amended and went into effect August 15, 1994.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I've spent a great deal of time researching for someone arrested and convicted of OC in Michigan and can not find one case. There are many cases for pending/convictions for brandishing and disturbing the peace (See MSP CCW Reports) over the last several years, but not for OC.