Thread: FL - West Palm Beach supermarket shootout

Post imported post

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...oceryguns.html

By SONJA ISGER

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

WEST PALM BEACH — It could've been a typical spat between grocery store customer and manager, with the customer announcing he planned to take his business elsewhere. But then the customer drew his gun. The store manager drew his and so did the assistant manager.

It all happened at 5 p.m. Monday at the IGA Supermarket at 1000 36th St. in West Palm Beach. And in the end, West Palm Beach police arrested customer Marshall Hugo Grant for attempted first-degree murder, shooting into an occupied dwelling, aggravated assault with a firearm and carrying a concealed firearm.

Police reported Tuesday morning that Grant, 73, entered the store through the exit despite manager Marino Hernandez's warning not to enter that way. The confrontation escalated, Grant drew a handgun; assistant manager Roberto Espinal drew his handgun. Hernandez also pulled a gun. Grant backed out of the store, firing three times as he went, the arrest report states.

The managers, who witnesses said never returned fire, ended up surrounding Grant, who hid behind a vehicle while continuing to fire, according to the police report. Grant eventually surrendered his weapon to the managers, once they told him police were on their way.

Grant appeared Tuesday morning before Judge Nancy Perez, who ordered him held without bond while he undergoes a psychiatric examination.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Wow. All this stuff is happening in WPB lately. I used to live down there :P

The story sounds a bit fishy. Why didn't the manager's shoot back? Maybe they were in shock or somethin'....

Post imported post

UPDATE

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

WEST PALM BEACH — Being a lousy shot might well have saved Marshall Hugo Grant's life.

After Grant fired three times Monday from the doorway of the King IGA grocery store, manager Marino Hernandez made a split-second decision not to fire back. "I was afraid he was going to keep shooting, but I already had in mind that he wasn't a good shooter," Hernandez said Tuesday.

Grant, 73, appeared Tuesday morning before Judge Nancy Perez, who ordered him held without bond while he undergoes a psychiatric examination.

Grant was a daily customer who'd never been a problem, said Hernandez, who manages the large supermarket at 1000 36th St.

On Monday afternoon, Grant and Hernandez argued after he tried to enter the store through the exit. "I said, 'You know what? Take your business elsewhere.'" Grant then drew a handgun. Assistant manager Roberto Espinal, behind a side counter, drew his gun. When Grant turned that way, Hernandez pulled his.

It was 5 p.m., and the store was jammed with customers, loading up for dinner on their way home, who hadn't counted on a 3-way Wild West standoff. Grant made the first move. He backed out of the store and started firing. One bullet struck the front wall above the doorway, one hit the wall to the side of the door, and one imbedded in the ceiling over the cash registers. One cashier, all of 16 years old, was on her first day on the job.

"A lot of chicken was left on shopping carts," Hernandez said. "Customers started screaming, going for the floor." But, he said, "I'm a quick thinker. When I saw the first bullet hit high, right away I knew I was dealing with someone that was not a good shooter."

The two managers surrounded Grant as he backed into the parking lot, hid behind a car, and fired a fourth shot. "He said, 'You calling the police?'" I said, 'Hell yeah I am.'" Hernandez said. "I said, 'Put the gun down. Put the gun down. It's not worth it.' Then he said, 'You're going to beat me up if I put the gun down.' I said, 'I'm not going to beat you up.'"

Police then arrived and took Grant away. He was charged with attempted first-degree murder, shooting into an occupied dwelling, aggravated assault with a firearm and carrying a concealed firearm.

Post imported post

Flintlock wrote:
    ...But then the customer drew his gun. The store manager drew his and so did the assistant manager.
    I thought this was a joke at first...

Post imported post

That's one lucky man. When he turned to the manager drawing his weapon at the side counter, I would have drawn and ventilated him.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

Pointman wrote:
    UPDATE

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

WEST PALM BEACH — Being a lousy shot might well have saved Marshall Hugo Grant's life.

After Grant fired three times Monday from the doorway of the King IGA grocery store, manager Marino Hernandez made a split-second decision not to fire back. "I was afraid he was going to keep shooting, but I already had in mind that he wasn't a good shooter," Hernandez said Tuesday.

Grant, 73, appeared Tuesday morning before Judge Nancy Perez, who ordered him held without bond while he undergoes a psychiatric examination.

Grant was a daily customer who'd never been a problem, said Hernandez, who manages the large supermarket at 1000 36th St.

On Monday afternoon, Grant and Hernandez argued after he tried to enter the store through the exit. "I said, 'You know what? Take your business elsewhere.'" Grant then drew a handgun. Assistant manager Roberto Espinal, behind a side counter, drew his gun. When Grant turned that way, Hernandez pulled his.

It was 5 p.m., and the store was jammed with customers, loading up for dinner on their way home, who hadn't counted on a 3-way Wild West standoff. Grant made the first move. He backed out of the store and started firing. One bullet struck the front wall above the doorway, one hit the wall to the side of the door, and one imbedded in the ceiling over the cash registers. One cashier, all of 16 years old, was on her first day on the job.

"A lot of chicken was left on shopping carts," Hernandez said. "Customers started screaming, going for the floor." But, he said, "I'm a quick thinker. When I saw the first bullet hit high, right away I knew I was dealing with someone that was not a good shooter."

The two managers surrounded Grant as he backed into the parking lot, hid behind a car, and fired a fourth shot. "He said, 'You calling the police?'" I said, 'Hell yeah I am.'" Hernandez said. "I said, 'Put the gun down. Put the gun down. It's not worth it.' Then he said, 'You're going to beat me up if I put the gun down.' I said, 'I'm not going to beat you up.'"

Police then arrived and took Grant away. He was charged with attempted first-degree murder, shooting into an occupied dwelling, aggravated assault with a firearm and carrying a concealed firearm.
    If someone pulls out a gun and starts shooting at me I'm not going to sit around and analyze their style and accuracy. Even if the guy is a lousy shot he still might hit you on accident. This fellow was VERY lucky that the two store employees didn't justifiably kill him. I know that I would likely have shot himif I were in that situation. (But I wasn't there, so it's entirely possible that I would have dived under a table and quietly crapped my pants.)

Post imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
    Pointman wrote:
    UPDATE

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

If someone pulls out a gun and starts shooting at me I'm not going to sit around and analyze their style and accuracy. Even if the guy is a lousy shot he still might hit you on accident. This fellow was VERY lucky that the two store employees didn't justifiably kill him. I know that I would likely have shot himif I were in that situation. (But I wasn't there, so it's entirely possible that I would have dived under a table and quietly crapped my pants.)
    BIG +1 for honesty and truth
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Post imported post

The only new part in Nicker's story:

"They have a right to protect their business and themselves," police Capt. Pat Maney said. "They showed great restraint by not firing back ... That store has been robbed several times."

Post imported post

Capt. Pat Maney said:
    "They have a right to protect their business and themselves. They showed great restraint by not firing back ... That store has been robbed several times."
    Typical cop response. :X

Post imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
    Capt. Pat Maney said:
    "They have a right to protect their business and themselves. They showed great restraint by not firing back ... That store has been robbed several times."
    Typical cop response. :X
    Why the frowny face? What's wrong with that comment? They did show great restraint. They do have the right to protect themselves and their business.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."