• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

911 operator falls asleep during attempted break-in

Sa45auto

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
My multiple lines of always ready/available defense (without reloads):.....1 80 lb black lab.....I also have a Mossberg Persuader but it is the cruiser model (pistol grip).  Great shotgun but brutal on the thumb joint after 8-10 rds of 00......

I have a black lab too, but he is more likley to lick you to death than anything else.

As for the Mossberg, try the hunting stock.

Mine may have a 20 in. barrel, but I still use to hunt ducks, shoot clays and varments.

It is the most useful gun I own.

Pointman

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
That lady should have just called 1911 instead LOL

(...continued good stuff)
Too bad we can't photocopy a select few persons so we could distribute common sense and a good dose of humor on a national level.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
My multiple lines of always ready/available defense (without reloads):.....1 80 lb black lab.....I also have a Mossberg Persuader but it is the cruiser model (pistol grip). Great shotgun but brutal on the thumb joint after 8-10 rds of 00......

I have a black lab too, but he is more likley to lick you to death than anything else.

As for the Mossberg, try the hunting stock.

Mine may have a 20 in. barrel, but I still use to hunt ducks, shoot clays and varments.

It is the most useful gun I own.
Here's the key to a black lab. He has a surrogate mom - the rott/lab mix- and a best friend - the golden. The rott/lab is 6 1/2, the golden is 5 1/2 and the lab is almost 2. He is sweet, lovable, lick you to death ball of fur. Unless you upset his "mom" or best friend. At doggie day care he ripped open the door on a metal crate by bending the hell out of it and snapped at the groomer who was trimming his "mom's" nails when she yelped. "Mom" is pretty bad-ass and would physically engage an intruder and I am confident the other 2 will back her up.

Thanks for the advice on the stock for the Mossberg guys. I have been considering my options and will get a new stock for it once I decide on exactly what I want. I was supposed to have a hunting stock for it at a few bucks over cost a while back but long story short, it didn't happen.

Deanimator

imported post

Two or three years ago, I called 911 on my cell phone to report a guy passed out in the gutter in front of a bar. I was first connected to the general 911 number. The guy who answered took the call in a competent, professional manner. I was then transferred to Lakewood, Ohio 911. I repeated the previous information in a calm and measured way. The Kelly Bundy clone on the other end then said, "He's in the gutter... he's on the roof?"

911 is what you call to get yourself listed as the victim in a conflict, or to report an event you're not logistically capable of handling, such as a large fire or a medical emergency. If you call 911 to be "protected", you're naive, a fool or both. I need merely point out the recent example of the woman in Detroit, shot by her husband. The 911 operator demanded that she put her husband, THE MAN WHO SHOT HER, on the line.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Deanimator wrote:
Two or three years ago, I called 911 on my cell phone to report a guy passed out in the gutter in front of a bar. I was first connected to the general 911 number. The guy who answered took the call in a competent, professional manner. I was then transferred to Lakewood, Ohio 911. I repeated the previous information in a calm and measured way. The Kelly Bundy clone on the other end then said, "He's in the gutter... he's on the roof?"

911 is what you call to get yourself listed as the victim in a conflict, or to report an event you're not logistically capable of handling, such as a large fire or a medical emergency. If you call 911 to be "protected", you're naive, a fool or both. I need merely point out the recent example of the woman in Detroit, shot by her husband. The 911 operator demanded that she put her husband, THE MAN WHO SHOT HER, on the line.
Link, please? There are tons of news articles about husbands and wives in Detroit shooting each other and calling 911 (appears to be the local sporting activity there are so many) but I don't find one that matches the facts you reference. Sounds most interesting.

Deanimator

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

Link, please? There are tons of news articles about husbands and wives in Detroit shooting each other and calling 911 (appears to be the local sporting activity there are so many) but I don't find one that matches the facts you reference. Sounds most interesting.

I haven't been able to find the original story yet, but here's a CNN story which refers to it in connection with the 911 call from the young boy which was ignored, leading to the death of his mother.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/04/10/911.lawsuit/index.html

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Deanimator wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

I haven't been able to find the original story yet, but here's a CNN story which refers to it in connection with the 911 call from the young boy which was ignored, leading to the death of his mother.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/04/10/911.lawsuit/index.html
Thank you for taking the time to find that link. I appreciate it. I remember that case of the 5 year old calling 911, too. There is good reason to call 911 "dial a prayer".

unreconstructed1

imported post

personally, if they make it past my first line of defense(my 85-90 lb boxer"rebel"), , they still have to contend with my second round, which includes:3 rounds of 16 ga.,16 rounds of 9mm hollow point,10 rounds of .380, 20 rounds of .22, then my machetes, knives, and even my chainsaw if time allows. if they survive mysecond line of defense, which I doubt, THEN I'll take over the 911 call from my wife and ask them nicely to please remove the bloody pile from my house before the stains set into teh carpet.

edit: after re-reading my post, it appears taht I may have come off as sort of "Texas Chainsaw massacre-ish" please note that at any point that the intruder wishes to end teh engagement, I will discontinue my second line of defense. I am sorry to anyone who misunderstood and thought that I may hve mental issues...:shock:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
personally, if they make it past my first line of defense(my 85-90 lb boxer"rebel"), , they still have to contend with my second round, which includes:3 rounds of 16 ga.,16 rounds of 9mm hollow point,10 rounds of .380, 20 rounds of .22, then my machetes, knives, and even my chainsaw if time allows. if they survive mysecond line of defense, which I doubt, THEN I'll take over the 911 call from my wife and ask them nicely to please remove the bloody pile from my house before the stains set into teh carpet.
[align=left]
Chainsaw?

WHOA!!!! :)

THAT would get my attention if I were a burglar!

That would occasion new signage (humor on):[/align]
[align=center]

"Trespassers will be Stihl-ed"

"Steal from me, and I will Stihl body parts from you!"[/align]
[align=left]

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, OWWWCH! :)

[/align]

unreconstructed1

imported post

Citizen wrote:
unreconstructed1 wrote:

Chainsaw?

WHOA!!!! :)

THAT would get my attention if I were a burglar!

"Trespassers will be Stihl-ed"

"Steal from me, and I will Stihl body parts from you!"

Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, OWWWCH!

what? you don't keep a chainsaw in your house? serously though, anything within arms reach can and will be used as a weapon by me. since I don't have a shed, it is actually quite possible dependent upon the circumstances ( me in the back room, intruder coming through the fron) that the chainsaw would be the first thing I come across on teh rare occasiontaht I don't have a gun within arms reach. plus, if any of ya'll have daughters, its a great detterent for hormone driven teenage boys...

sit on your rocking chair and polish your shotgun when the boys come over if you want... I'll be oiling up my chainsaw instead....

:cool: :(:shock::what:

Tomahawk

imported post

Hmm...chainsaw, huh. I like the potential psychological effect. Some people think racking a shotgun is scary, the sound of a chainsaw revving up in the dark may be a few notches above that.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Hmm...chainsaw, huh. I like the potential psychological effect. Some people think racking a shotgun is scary, the sound of a chainsaw revving up in the dark may be a few notches above that.

Jes what I waz thinkin'. :)

'Course,his first thought is to wonder who in their right mind is firing up a 2-cycle engine while he's breaking in. But, if there's any country-boy in him, he'll recognize that hiss when the clutch engages and the chain starts moving.

Can you say, "GONE FROM THERE?" :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
what? you don't keep a chainsaw in your house?
Naw, suh.

Daddy wuz so pore, we had to borry a cross-cut saw. And the fella we borried it from wuz so pore it only had one handle on it.

He couldn't afford to git it fixed right, so we had to drawit through, take it out of the slot, turn it around, and draw it through t'other way.

It wouldn't have been so bad if my brother hadn't liked Beechnut. You see, he had to spit on his hands every third stroke or so, so's you can guess what was on the handle when it was my turn to draw it through.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

'Course that last one wudn't as bad as my cousin.

He actually bought a chainsaw. Worked and worked all day to saw up this little pile of wood that didn't amount to nothin'.

So he takes it back to the store and complains thatitstwice as much work as using a cross-cut saw.

The clerk takes it out back to the woodpile, yanks the cord. RRRRRRRRRRRR. It fires right up.

My cousin jumps back and says, "What's that noise?"

imperialism2024

imported post

Damn. Now I want to get a chainsaw.

Hmm, these gas-powered cut off saws look a bit more badass, though:
b_HandheldCutOffSawsHandheldCutOffSawsGasPowered-PartnerHusqvarnaK125016inch.jpg

And at 119cc, I think it has a larger displacement than a Prius. Though 35lbs would be a bit unwieldy... I'd be concerned with underpenetration, though, as it only has a maximum cutting depth of 6".

Now, for less power but deeper cutting, there's this model that offers a cutting depth of 16", even though it only puts out about 5hp... Only 23lbs, too!
b_HandheldCutOffSawsHandheldCutOffSawsGasPowered-PartnerHusqvarnaK650CutNBreak.jpg

Take that, zombies! :celebrate

bohdi

imported post

You'd probably need to have a pair of them fancy automatic noise reduction hearing protection thingy's - cut out the high frequecies so you can hear the intruder move through the house, and out the back door once you started that monster up :D