• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

911 operator falls asleep during attempted break-in

Flintlock

imported post

http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=8239189

Reported by Lori Brown

When you call 911, you expect help immediately. Lisa, a Memphis resident, got anything but.

"Our lives were in danger," she said. "Our lives were at stake, and our lifeline was severed."

Severed, she said, because during a recent call to 911,the operator fell asleep while she was on the line.

Action News obtained a copy of the call through an open records request. It begins as Lisa calls 911 and a Memphis operator comes on the line. Lisa tells the operator she was robbed at gunpoint earlier in the evening, and that she now hears someone trying to break into our home.

"I just heard tapping on my window," she tells the operator. "I need somebody over here."

The line goes silent. As Lisa continues to explain her situation, the dispatcher does not respond - not for just 15 or 30 seconds, but for one full minute.

Then, sounds of snoring can be heard on the line.

"Are you there?" Lisa asks.

"Yes ma'am," the operator replies. "What is the, um, what's your address?"

Lisa can then be heard hanging up the phone.

(You can listen to audio ofthe call in the video player to the right of this story.)

Reached for comment, a Memphis Police Department spokesperson said an investigation was launched into the call after Action News 5's request for the tape in January. Since then, a supervisor with the Memphis Police Department has repeatedly denied requests for an interview, saying, "It would not be proper to give an interview on the incident before the administrative hearings have been held in order to avoid any perception of bias on the part of administration."

Why is it taking so long for the administrative hearing? According to the police spokesperson, the hearing cannot take place until the dispatcher returns to work. The dispatcher has been on extended sick leave since Action News 5's request for the tape of the 911 call.

Collierville Police Chief Larry Goodwin, who listened to the call for this story, said the silence on the other end of the call indicates something went wrong.

"There is obviously something that went on that caused that delay between the time the individual answered the telephone to the time she prompted him back," Goodwin said. "Now what that is, I don't know."

Lisa eventually got help, but only after she called another 911 agency. Because she works for another 911 agency in the Mid-South, and does not want to create conflicts with her employer, she asked that her name and appearance not be revealed in this story.

If you have a complaint about 911 or a dispatcher, call the non-emergency number where you live, and ask for a 911 manager.

Since the incident described in this story, Lisa has moved outside the city limits of Memphis.

UPDATE: Late Monday afternoon, a Memphis Police Department spokesperson said the dispatcher and supervisor on duty the night of the call have been relieved of duty. The supervisor was relieved for 20 days, and the dispatcher for 7 days. Neither have yet returned to work.

Sa45auto

imported post

You can only depend on yourself.

When and if I ever call 911, it will be to ask them to send the meat wagon.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=8239189

"Our lives were in danger," she said. "Our lives were at stake, and our lifeline was severed."

This is whats wrong with the Sheeple mind. "Someone come save me!" If you leave yourself defenseless, who is there really to blame? The Crook, sure. But don't blame the police because you've denied yourself the right of self defense.

Personally, My life-line includes 15 9mm hydrashocks.

Mainsail

imported post

SpokaneIrish wrote:

Blind links can be dangerous in some workplaces, it's better to post the link and the text.

When you call 911, you expect help immediately. Lisa, a Memphis resident, got anything but.

Severed, she said, because during a recent call to 911, the operator fell asleep while she was on the line.

Action News obtained a copy of the call through an open records request. It begins as Lisa calls 911 and a Memphis operator comes on the line. Lisa tells the operator she was robbed at gunpoint earlier in the evening, and that she now hears someone trying to break into our home.

"I just heard tapping on my window," she tells the operator. "I need somebody over here."

The line goes silent. As Lisa continues to explain her situation, the dispatcher does not respond - not for just 15 or 30 seconds, but for one full minute.

Then, sounds of snoring can be heard on the line.

"Are you there?" Lisa asks.

"Yes ma'am," the operator replies. "What is the, um, what's your address?"

Lisa can then be heard hanging up the phone.

(You can listen to audio of the call in the video player to the right of this story.)

Reached for comment, a Memphis Police Department spokesperson said an investigation was launched into the call after Action News 5's request for the tape in January. Since then, a supervisor with the Memphis Police Department has repeatedly denied requests for an interview, saying, "It would not be proper to give an interview on the incident before the administrative hearings have been held in order to avoid any perception of bias on the part of administration."

Why is it taking so long for the administrative hearing? According to the police spokesperson, the hearing cannot take place until the dispatcher returns to work. The dispatcher has been on extended sick leave since Action News 5's request for the tape of the 911 call.

Collierville Police Chief Larry Goodwin, who listened to the call for this story, said the silence on the other end of the call indicates something went wrong.

"There is obviously something that went on that caused that delay between the time the individual answered the telephone to the time she prompted him back," Goodwin said. "Now what that is, I don't know."

Lisa eventually got help, but only after she called another 911 agency. Because she works for another 911 agency in the Mid-South, and does not want to create conflicts with her employer, she asked that her name and appearance not be revealed in this story.

If you have a complaint about 911 or a dispatcher, call the non-emergency number where you live, and ask for a 911 manager.

Since the incident described in this story, Lisa has moved outside the city limits of Memphis.

UPDATE: Late Monday afternoon, a Memphis Police Department spokesperson said the dispatcher and supervisor on duty the night of the call have been relieved of duty. The supervisor was relieved for 20 days, and the dispatcher for 7 days. Neither have yet returned to work.

Flintlock

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I found this comment very disturbing:

She might have to do some rethinking...
Oops, looks like I posted this in the news section as well... I'll see if I can get a moderator to merge the threads...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/10374.html

just_a_car

imported post

"When seconds count, help is only min... ZZZzzzZZZzzz...."

It's crap like that that makes me wonder how people can "expect immediate help" even if they get someone on the line talking to them. If someone's kicking down your door, you'll be dead and they'll be gone before the cops get even half-way to your house.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I found this comment very disturbing:

She might have to do some rethinking...
It boggles my mind how America survived before the 911 emergency number and before the police departments were formed. Life must have been complete chaos. It's a wonder we survived at all.

Flintlock

imported post

BobCav wrote:
It boggles my mind how America survived before the 911 emergency number and before the police departments were formed. Life must have been complete chaos. It's a wonder we survived at all.
Great post.. I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I read that. :lol:

MetalChris

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
*sigh* Well, it is Memphis which has a bad reputation for a reason. Just like anything else, you need multiple lines of defense.
Yup, I've got that covered.

1st LOD: 6 rounds of 12 Gauge 00 buck

2nd LOD: 14 rounds of+P .45 ACP JHP

3rd LOD: 20 rounds of 7.62x39

4th LOD: 8 rounds of .380 ACP JHP

Hmm, notice "911" was not in there? Weird... :uhoh:

Sa45auto

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
*sigh* Well, it is Memphis which has a bad reputation for a reason. Just like anything else, you need multiple lines of defense.
Yup, I've got that covered.

1st LOD: 6 rounds of 12 Gauge 00 buck

2nd LOD: 14 rounds of+P .45 ACP JHP

3rd LOD: 20 rounds of 7.62x39

4th LOD: 8 rounds of .380 ACP JHP

Hmm, notice "911" was not in there? Weird... :uhoh:

A man after my ownheart. :dude:

My multiple lines of defense;

1st LOD:8 rounds of 12 Gauge 00 buck

2nd LOD:9 rounds of .45 ACP JHP + 2 x 8 rd Mags

3rd LOD:7 rounds of .357 Mag. JHP + 2 x 7 rd Speed Loaders

4th LOD: 11 rounds of .22 LRHP + 2 x10 rd Mags

No "911" in mine either. ;)

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hmm, I need more lines of defense:

1st LOD - 15 rounds of 124gr 9mmHydraShok

2nd LOD - 15 MORE rounds of 124gr 9mm HydraShok

3rd LOD - 15 rounds of UMC 115gr 9mm FMJ

4th LOD - 15 MORErounds of UMC 115gr 9mm FMJ

5th LOD - 10 rounds of .22LR GBs

6th LOD - 10 MORE rounds of .22LR GBs.

As you noticed, this is from two guns, reloading required. I really should get that Mossberg 500 12G Persuader. It's only $250, and the way handgun ammo prices are increasing, 00-Buck is, per projectile, less expensive than 9mm. Seriously; 8 pellets per shell, five shells per box for $3.50. That's eight cents per pellet, each one of which is only slightly smaller than a 9mm. If you can't deal with a shot smaller than 9mm, trade up to 000-Buck; its pellets are LARGER than 9mm.

...Hey, that could be an anti-anti slogan right there: "Avoid Higher Handgun Ammo Prices - Shoot Double-Aught Buck".

imperialism2024

imported post

Hmm.

1st LOD: 36 rounds of 240gr JHP .44 magnum in speedloaders
2nd LOD: 50-some rounds of 12-gauge 00 buckshot, most in mags for Saiga-12
3rd LOD: 1450 rounds of 123gr FMJ 7.62x39, 450 in AK mags, the rest on stripper clips for SKS
4th LOD: 60 rounds of .40S&W (mostly FMJ, some JHP) in mags for carbines
5th LOD: 50 rounds of 7.62x54R on Mosin stripper clips
6th LOD: 40 rounds of .30-06
7th LOD: Some big knives
8th LOD: Pieces of wood and assorted blunt objects
9th LOD: 911

Just for the record, that requires some reloading too :lol:

Sa45auto

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
..... I really should get that Mossberg 500 12G Persuader. It's only $250, and the way handgun ammo prices are increasing, 00-Buck is, per projectile, less expensive than 9mm......

Do it. I love mine and it makes one heck of a first line of defence. :)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My multiple lines of always ready/available defense (without reloads):

1st LOD: 1 94 lb rottweiler/lab mix
1 92 lb golden retreiver
1 80 lb black lab

2nd LOD: 8 rds 12 ga 00 buckshot

3rd LOD: 14 rds Winchester Ranger SXT .45

4th LOD: 14 rds Speer Gold Dot (short barrel) 9mm

5th LOD: Pissed off fiancee who wants to know who is going to clean up this mess. (She should probably be the first line as I think she may be scarier than the dogs)

I also have a Mossberg Persuader but it is the cruiser model (pistol grip). Great shotgun but brutal on the thumb joint after 8-10 rds of 00. Think I'm going to get a Knoxx recoil stock for it.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I also have a Mossberg Persuader but it is the cruiser model (pistol grip). Great shotgun but brutal on the thumb joint after 8-10 rds of 00. Think I'm going to get a Knoxx recoil stock for it.

Yeah, if I get a new one, it'll come with the hunting stock and a cruiser pistol grip and I can swap out as desired. I wishI could find a production Persuader with the tac stock (both in one). If I need to fire from the hip I do so, or I can put it to my shoulder with a more comfortable grip. It's been said; pistol-grip stocks are designed to fire from the SHOULDER.

Ah well, there's a folding tactical stock for Mossbergs hanging on the pegboard of my local gun range. Since Academy gets the gun sale, I should at least give the gun shop a consolation.

XD40coyote

imported post

That lady should have just called 1911 instead LOL

Some people... well maybe she is a felon or had been in a mental hospital for a bit, otherwise she needs to move her butt to a gun store or gun show. When seconds count...the 911 dispatcher is catchin z's...

My lifeline is:

2 cattle dogs, one of which is plain psycho and has to be locked up when people are over

XD9 with gold dots

XD40 with gold dots

a 10 shot .22

knives, short swords, scalpels

dried deer legs, antlers, animal horns, dead animals, garden implements,rocks, roosters, ganders with goslings, stone knife, hunk of obsidian, tree limbs, a cat that likes to bite me and bites others, rabid raccoons, steel traps than can be swung by the chains or a set a beaver bodygrip trap over a badguys head to fire on his neck, a baseball bat, fire extinquisher, cow leg bones,frozen leg of lamb...