• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Discussion - Video Taping Police

sjhipple

imported post

http://glassbeadcollective.blip.tv/file/784711/

No commentary necessary

This is related to Open Carry since most of us carry recording devices with us to keep the police accountable. Fortunately, most police around here are honorable.

-edit-

Let's keep the cop bashing off this thread. I think the video speaks for itself. The problem is not with cops in general, but with a few isolated blue cities like Miami, Los Angeles and New York City (places with strict gun control...hmmm).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Just another reason I will never go to NYC. When are we all (the people of the USA)going to wake up and realize how quickly we are losing the recognition of our individual and naturally endowed rights. Along with a firearm everybody should carry a video camera. God this is frustrating, where am I going to put all the stuff I have to carry to protect myself?

expvideo

imported post

Couple this with the machinegun toting, armor-clad elite units patrolling the subways and the streets, and we have a very nice little police state.

LEO 229

imported post

It appears that there is a specific event happening at this location that has drawn the police and people ready to capture everything on video.

The police are targeting people on bikes only and stopping them either at random or for some other violation that is not pointed out by the author.

The police are not bothered about being taped and only asked that people keep back ten feet.

It appears to be a violation to stop on the sidewalk and block the passageway for other pedestrians. The female stops to shoot photos and is approached by a cop. She is asked for her ID and then decides to just ride away. I am guessing that the cop decided to charge her and the female needed to be stopped.

The author of the video is claiming that the charges were mostly dropped but does not show any proof of that. You have to take their word for it.

I am not sure this video is so much about how to video tape the police. The author is showing you only enough to see the police taking what could be lawful action against people in violation of the law.

expvideo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
It appears that there is a specific event happening at this location that has drawn the police and people ready to capture everything on video.

The police are targeting people on bikes only and stopping them either at random or for some other violation that is not pointed out by the author.

The police are not bothered about being taped and only asked that people keep back ten feet.

It appears to be a violation to stop on the sidewalk and block the passageway for other pedestrians. The female stops to shoot photos and is approached by a cop. She is asked for her ID and then decides to just ride away. I am guessing that the cop decided to charge her and the female needed to be stopped.

The author of the video is claiming that the charges were mostly dropped but does not show any proof of that. You have to take their word for it.

I am not sure this video is so much about how to video tape the police. The author is showing you only enough to see the police taking what could be lawful action against people in violation of the law.

I think that what I saw were some unconstitutional false arrests and some very deceptive anddishonestpolice reports, as well as some trumped up charges. Did you notice that the asian woman is charged with 2 counts of assault? All I saw was her getting owned by a half a dozen cops.

But I agree that the author is being pretty deceptive as well, because we don't know the reason for the police hassling the bicyclists. It seems like we are being given half of the story, and the other half is actually very important to being able to make a complete judgement. Still, I saw some very poor handling of this situation and denial of constitutional rights.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Definitely don't have the whole story. On the other hand, I can't imagine what the rest of the story would be that wouldn't make one look at the Torch Patrols and think, "Oh, natural progression of an already out of control police force."

Reason 9,652 to never, ever, in my life visit NYC.

expvideo

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Definitely don't have the whole story. On the other hand, I can't imagine what the rest of the story would be that wouldn't make one look at the Torch Patrols and think, "Oh, natural progression of an already out of control police force."

Reason 9,652 to never, ever, in my life visit NYC.
+1. If I never see NYC, I'll be perfectly content. The statue used to be such a sybol of freedom, but knowing that to see the statue in person, I have to be the government's little bitch and sacrifice my rights... It's sad.

Sleepless

imported post

expvideo wrote:

I think that what I saw were some unconstitutional false arrests and some very deceptive anddishonestpolice reports, as well as some trumped up charges. Did you notice that the asian woman is charged with 2 counts of assault? All I saw was her getting owned by a half a dozen cops.

But I agree that the author is being pretty deceptive as well, because we don't know the reason for the police hassling the bicyclists. It seems like we are being given half of the story, and the other half is actually very important to being able to make a complete judgement. Still, I saw some very poor handling of this situation and denial of constitutional rights.
Which statute under the constitution makes it legal to videotape or photograph an arrest because even though I am in Canada, every time I have seen somebody try to videotape what is going on they have always tried to cover the lens and as a photojournalist I would like to know so I can photograph something I think might be an illegal arrest and not be charged for it if possible while complying with the rule of law.

Maybe a stupid question but the only stupid question is the one you never ask. :p

FogRider

imported post

Sleepless wrote:
Which statute under the constitution makes it legal to videotape or photograph an arrest because even though I am in Canada, every time I have seen somebody try to videotape what is going on they have always tried to cover the lens and as a photojournalist I would like to know so I can photograph something I think might be an illegal arrest and not be charged for it if possible while complying with the rule of law.

Maybe a stupid question but the only stupid question is the one you never ask. :p
The same one that makes open carry legal, that is there is nothing that says it is illegal. The rules for public photography (simplified): If you can see it from a public space, and the subject has no reasonable expectation of privacy, you can take a picture of it. That means I can stand on the sidewalk (public property) and take a picture of your house, but I cannot zoom into your bedroom window. I can take a picture of your hedge, but I cannot stand on a ladder and take a picure of the yard behind it.

I had at one time a website bookmarked that spelled out the rules pretty clearly, but I can't find it. If I do I will post it here.

Sleepless

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Sleepless wrote:

The same one that makes open carry legal, that is there is nothing that says it is illegal. The rules for public photography (simplified): If you can see it from a public space, and the subject has no reasonable expectation of privacy, you can take a picture of it. That means I can stand on the sidewalk (public property) and take a picture of your house, but I cannot zoom into your bedroom window. I can take a picture of your hedge, but I cannot stand on a ladder and take a picure of the yard behind it.

I had at one time a website bookmarked that spelled out the rules pretty clearly, but I can't find it. If I do I will post it here.
Thanks FogRider because when I move to the US I am also gonna get a membership with the National Press Club among others and try to do some freelance shooting of various things and those rules if you can find them would be perfect so I won't do anything I might regret later. :p

FogRider

imported post

Sleepless wrote:
Thanks FogRider because when I move to the US I am also gonna get a membership with the National Press Club among others and try to do some freelance shooting of various things and those rules if you can find them would be perfect so I won't do anything I might regret later. :p
Ok, I did find it. It's a one page pdf to be used a general guide, but it seems pretty good. You will probably want to dig a little deeper into the laws, but this should get you started.

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

anyheck

imported post

Hi,

Just discovered this site and the forums.

I believe that what is going on is a 'Critical Mass' bike ride. The 'movement,' not organization, is a monthly bicycle/human powered vehicle ride in different cities.

Police in some cities decided to take the riders to task because there are never any permits requested for the rides, and they cause some conflicts with motorists.

You may want to check out

http://critical-mass.info/police.html
Code:
and

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/12/nyregion/12video.html?ex=1125547200&en=c532b647989e00de&ei=5070&ex=1114833600&en=48c7482b47703627&ei=5070&pagewanted=all&oref=login[/url]

From the NYT article:

Last week, he discovered that there were two versions of the same police tape: the one that was to be used as evidence in his trial had been edited at two spots, removing images that showed Mr. Dunlop behaving peacefully. When a volunteer film archivist found a more complete version of the tape and gave it to Mr. Dunlop's lawyer, prosecutors immediately dropped the charges and said that a technician had cut the material by mistake. 

Seven months after the convention at Madison Square Garden, criminal charges have fallen against all but a handful of people arrested that week. Of the 1,670 cases that have run their full course, 91 percent ended with the charges dismissed or with a verdict of not guilty after trial. Many were dropped without any finding of wrongdoing, but also without any serious inquiry into the circumstances of the arrests, with the Manhattan district attorney's office agreeing that the cases should be "adjourned in contemplation of dismissal."

-anyheck