• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Park gun ban repeal announcement in federal register appears to ban open carry!

400HP

imported post

Hmm, I am a bit disapointed. Afterall, when I hike into the back country, I hardly intend on CC but instead OC with a drop-leg holster. I sincerely hope that they modify the rules to allow either. Heck I would even be happy if the limited it to CC permit holders carrying OC (I know blasphemy!).

Ron

Flintlock

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
So this means that I can go to Yellowstone in 2 Months ??? Zions ??? and CC for sure, but since OC is legal here in UtahI can do that too ???

Please help and UNconfuse me !!!

TJ

(I know...I'm a little bit slow)
These are proposed rule changes. They will hear public comments for 60 days. Nothing is set-in-stone quite yet somore changes can stillbe made and depending on how much pressure they get, they reserve the ability toscrap the whole thing. I don't know how long the process goes until the changes actually take effect.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
So this means that I can go to Yellowstone in 2 Months ??? Zions ??? and CC for sure, but since OC is legal here in UtahI can do that too ???

Please help and UNconfuse me !!!

TJ

(I know...I'm a little bit slow)
These are proposed rule changes. They will hear public comments for 60 days. Nothing is set-in-stone quite yet somore changes can stillbe made and depending on how much pressure they get, they reserve the ability toscrap the whole thing. I don't know how long the process goes until the changes actually take effect.

I have only been to Zion's once, and that was about at the end of Aug '98. Haven't been back due to the Carry Laws:uhoh:. Hope to be able to visit Yellowstone. Never been there.

TJ

hogleg

imported post

"The proposed amendments would update the regulations to reflect current state laws authorizing the possession of concealed firearms, while maintaining the existing regulatory provisions that ensure visitor safety and resource protection such as the prohibitions on poaching and limitations on hunting and target practice."

I wonder if this was an attempt at trying to make everyone happy.

I read this to say that the new rules apply only to concealed carry. But one would think that with everything they say about using the State laws reguarding Firearms, that would includeOC as well as CC. They specifically mention CC severaltimes not OC. Maybe the thoughtwasno one would every just carry around a pistol in a holster for everyone to see !!!!!!!!

400HP

imported post

So, is there any opinion by lawyer types of the real impact of the change in regards to open/concealed? I can just see myself fudging around my backpack trying to get my sidearm while a bear is charging me or my family.

If I was to carry with a drop leg holster, could I simply cover it up and magicly have a concealed sidearm?

Flintlock

imported post

400HP wrote:
So, is there any opinion by lawyer types of the real impact of the change in regards to open/concealed? I can just see myself fudging around my backpack trying to get my sidearm while a bear is charging me or my family.

If I was to carry with a drop leg holster, could I simply cover it up and magicly have a concealed sidearm?

Maybe try something like this:

http://www.handgunholsters.net/

bobcat

imported post

Well this is long awaited good news. I agree with most of what has been said here. Whether it's OC or CC is not as big an issue as the section regarding facilities. I agree with Utbagpiper that this presents a SIGNIFICANT problem to anyone who is carrying and I believe the NPS knows it.

The current FWS and NPS regulations were last substantively updated in 1981 and 1983, respectively. Forty eight States now provide for the possession of concealed firearms by their citizens. In many States, the authority to carry loaded and operable concealed firearms extends 4 to State park and refuge lands, whether expressly or by operation of law. Since the Federal regulations have remained unchanged during this time, the provisions fail to distinguish between firearms used by the general public for recreational purposes and the concealed and loaded weapons a limited number of citizens may now carry pursuant to state authorities. This restricts fundamental freedoms without yielding the benefits the regulations were promulgated to achieve. It also results in unnecessary limitations on the applicability of state law. The Department’s intent in undertaking this rulemaking process is to better respect the ability of states to determine who may lawfully possess a firearm within their borders while preserving the Federal government’s authority to manage its lands, buildings, and facilities. Mindful of that objective, the Department proposes to amend existing regulations in order to allow individuals to carry concealed weapons in park units and refuges to the extent that they could lawfully do so on analogous state-administered lands. In this regard, the proposal is not designed to authorize firearms possession in federal facilities, or when otherwise forbidden by state or federal law. Rather, the Department’s proposed rule is intended to respect state authority in a similar manner to that adopted in existing regulations by the Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service. Each of these agencies authorizes the possession of loaded and concealed weapons consistent with the applicable authorities of the state in which the lands are located. By adopting state law in this manner, the Department continues a tradition of managing federal lands in cooperation with states. This often includes the adoption of non-conflicting state authorities. For example, the FWS and NPS have adopted state laws and regulations in the areas of hunting, fishing, and boating. 5 Under the proposed amendment, visitors must have authority to possess loaded and concealed firearms on analogous state lands before they will be allowed to carry firearms in Federal park areas and refuges. In practice, this will mean that two conditions must be met in order for this proposed regulatory change to permit the possession of firearms on federal parks and refuges. First, the state in which the park or refuge unit is located must have laws that allow the individual to possess concealed and loaded firearms. And second, the authorization to carry a concealed and loaded firearm must be applicable on the analogous state lands in the State in which the park or refuge is located. Where these conditions are present, the proposed amendments will accommodate State prerogatives with respect to recognition of licenses issued by other States, including reciprocity agreements. Individuals authorized to carry firearms under this rule will continue to be subject to all other applicable state and federal laws. Accordingly, as stated above, this rule does not authorize the carrying of concealed firearms in federal facilities in national parks and wildlife refuges.
What is the definition of a Federal Facility? I take that to be any inhabitable or traversable structure on "Federal Property". If that's the case, it would include everything from restrooms in remote locations to gift shops, motels/hotels, campground buildings, etc. What about PARKING LOTS? That just won't do as it creates an unnecessary burden on those who choose to carry to constantly arm/disarm and leave a firearm in a vehicle where it is subject to theft.

It's entirely plausible that these NPS Rangers would be 'laying for us' in any one of these places, especially an OC'er. Any unsightly bulge or print from a concealed carry could be seen as 'reasonable suspicion' and result in a pat-down. -I'm just sayin...

And is a National Park/Refuge officially FEDERAL Property? Or is it still owned by the respective state and simply ADMINISTERED by the NPS. AFIK, it is actually Federal property.

So it would appear we have a MAJOR sticking point in this proposal with the faciliity issue. Sadly, I don't see this being easily overcome. Other than letter writing by us serfs, it will likely take another round of signatures by the same Senators that signed the firstletter specifically stating an objection to the ban on 'facilities' carry. The NPS CAN make an exception, they just don't want to at this point.

If we are not careful, this will drag into 2009 and get swept away by newly elected anti-gunners. That won't do either. The iron is hot, we need to be able to take advantage of this somehow.

Like I said, NPS has done what the Senators wanted but the NPS has hobbled the effort (I believe intentionally) by leaving the facilities ban in place.

The establishment of a firearm ban really is an example of the NPS exceeding it's authority in the first place and they've gotten away with it for so long, it's not been challenged by anyone, at least until now. Congress should have gotten on the ball with this and told the NPS, by US Code, or a simple ACT confirming that NPS does not in fact have the authority to restrict in the first place and the authority on such matters is the sole pervue of the respective STATES.

That's my .02 for now.

hogleg

imported post

That might get kind of old explaining to some Park Ranger whyI am crapping behindatree instead of going into the bathrooom. Well officer my car is a mile overthere. I have a CC weapon that is allowed out herebut I am not allowed to use the bathroom with it. Got any toilet paper on you ? HA!

Bet the tree huggers wouldn't like it either!

bobcat

imported post

hogleg wrote:
That might get kind of old explaining to some Park Ranger whyI am crapping behindatree instead of going into the bathrooom. Well officer my car is a mile overthere. I have a CC weapon that is allowed out herebut I am not allowed to use the bathroom with it. Got any toilet paper on you ? HA!

Bet the tree huggers wouldn't like it either!
:lol::lol:

Believe it or not, NPS does have an accepted methodology for such events. Not sure if it's published anywhere, but when checking in to get my backcountry permits, Rangers have a little pre-trip, environut, lecture. Of course it includes 'pack in/pack out' and for taking a dump, dig a 'cat hole' at least six inches deep and greater than ~100yds (IIRC) from a stream. Minimize the use of TP, etc.

Hmmm, I guess .gov DOES tell us how and where to take a dump...:what::D

swillden

imported post

bobcat wrote:
for taking a dump, dig a 'cat hole' at least six inches deep and greater than ~100yds (IIRC) from a stream. Minimize the use of TP, etc.
200 feet from any water source or any hiking trail, was the word I was given. We were also asked to try to cut and fill the cathole carefully so that the ground was as little-disturbed as possible. Those were things I've always done anyway.

IMO, irresponsible pooping in heavily-traveled woods falls into the category of things that shouldn't have to be made illegal, but a few idiots mess it up for everyone.

bobcat

imported post

Getting back to topic, any thoughts or comments on how to tackle the 'facilities issue'. Keep in mind that this will likely be interpreted as any building on NP 'property', so we won't be able to carry in ANY mode in buildings?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

bobcat wrote:
Getting back to topic, any thoughts or comments on how to tackle the 'facilities issue'. Keep in mind that this will likely be interpreted as any building on NP 'property', so we won't be able to carry in ANY mode in buildings?
I don't see the point - the facilities ban is blanket wide, even on fed forests. that is a fight for another day.

Flintlock

imported post

Mike wrote:
bobcat wrote:
I don't see the point - the facilities ban is blanket wide, even on fed forests. that is a fight for another day.
I totally agree. It's not gonna happen this go around. We'll be lucky as it isto get them to accept the concept of uniformity between National Forests and National Parks.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

The wording of "Federal Facilities" is from the United States Code Title 18. U.S.C. § 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000930----000-.html

(g) As used in this section:

(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 21/2 inches in length.

HOWEVER:

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

So What are the other lawful purposes? That is to be determined by District of Columbia v. Heller. Remember if the bathroom is on the Frontier, the court and Justice Kennedy may say it's ok.

""I learn with great concern that [one] portion of our frontier so interesting, so important, and so exposed, should be so entirely unprovided with common fire-arms. I did not suppose any part of the United States so destitute of what is considered as among the first necessaries of a farm-house." --Thomas Jefferson, 1808.

Pointman

imported post

Planter: That's the same problem as carrying in Post Offices. What the law says and how it's applied are often different.