Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member

Post imported post

I've been reading this forum for a while so I figured I'd join. So... Hi

I am not new to guns, I have two boys whom I take shooting, I have used a handgun defensively in the past to save my life. That's me in a nut-shell (pun's intended).

Shane.

Post imported post

Hey Shane!

Welcome aboard... Glad to have you. Sorry to hear you had to resort to using your sidearm to defend your life. Happy that you were ready and able to.

Enjoy!

Erus

Post imported post

Welcome and well done.

Ken

Activist Member

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum icode.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Do you currently OC? Do you have a CCW? Interested in hearing your self-defense story.

Tim

Post imported post

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I do not have a CCW so when I carry it's right out there for the world to see. I've never had a problem or even a glance, although to be honest I've not carried in recent years very much, bad on me, I know. This forum has certainly bolstered my courage to begin doing so again - for my own protection and to express my right to do so.

The short version of my experiance - it was about 20 years ago, I was getting gas about midnight on Maryland Pkwy and Russell (I think it was Russell). While I was waiting for the gas pump to be turned on 5 thugs exited the store walking toward me. As they neared me they broke apart, laughing and I knew I was in trouble. Since I was leaning/sitting on the car I felt it move as one of them who was behind me struck me in the back of the head with a bat or pipe. As I fell forward the rest closed on me and beat me in the face. I spun out of the group and grabbed my gun from the front seat of my car. Upon seeing the gun they ceased and ran off. That's how I remember it. There's more to it of course but that's the Reader's Digest version.

Shane.

Post imported post

We should meet up and have some coffee or something. I have been carrying here in Nevada for about 4 years with no issues yet.

send me a P.M. if you want.

- B

Post imported post

Wow. Glad to hear that you were able to defend yourself.

This type of stuff happens way too often anymore for people not to protect themselves.

Post imported post

Looking back I just wish I'd have known the laws. Had I been standing there with a gun on my hip I probably wouldn't have been attacked. If they would have attacked anyway I'm pretty sure that at least one of them would have been answering to a higher judge

Post imported post

This is true. Most people simply do not know the laws.

I stopped at Towbin Dodge today to look at the new Journey (need a 3rd row as we have baby #3 due in November).

One of the first things the sales guy asked was "do you work for Metro or N. Las Vegas?" When I told him that I am not a LEO, he sat there kindof dumbfounded... "Detective?" . I then told him that no, I was a private citizen and it is legal in Nevada to open carry a firearm.

Was interesting. It was the first time I had to actually talk about it while carrying.

Post imported post

Very interesting. But he took your word for it and went about the business at hand?

Shane.

edit: Congrats on the new baby!

Post imported post

Erus wrote:
    Hey Shane!

Welcome aboard... Glad to have you. Sorry to hear you had to resort to using your sidearm to defend your life. Happy that you were ready and able to.

Enjoy!

Erus
    Where can I read about this ???

TJ

Post imported post

Go up a few posts...

Post imported post

icode wrote:
    Go up a few posts...
    "Now do I feel like an A$$hole" as Jack Nicholson said in "A Few Good Men".

TJ

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    icode wrote:
    Go up a few posts...

TJ
    No worries

Post imported post

icode wrote:
    Very interesting. But he took your word for it and went about the business at hand?

Shane.

edit: Congrats on the new baby!
    Yeah,

He did seem a little aprehensive as we walked into the back inventory lot though. Both he and his manager (I met them both simultaneously) assumed I was LEO.

I just told him, nope, private citizen & businessman, just protecting myself.

Post imported post

icode wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    icode wrote:
    Go up a few posts...

TJ
    No worries

Thanks.

Yeah, it could have turned out REALLY bad, but I am glad you are around to tell about it.

As you know, I (We) OC, so that we can DETER this kinda stuff:celebrate

TJ

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    icode wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    icode wrote:
    Go up a few posts...

TJ
    No worries

Thanks.

Yeah, it could have turned out REALLY bad, but I am glad you are around to tell about it.

TJ
    Um, yep! Didn't know that I was allowed to back then. There was no such thing as the internet, it was much harder to get information and therefore much easier for those that wish to keep others "in the dark" (yes, I have heard of a library) to do so. Now I find myself as the only one in my "group" (family/friends) that understands the need of protection and therefore I'm the paranoid gun-nut, I get a lot of "eye-rolls":?as I'm sure you all have.

Shane.

Post imported post

icode wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    icode wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    icode wrote:
    Go up a few posts...

TJ
    No worries

Thanks.

TJ
    Um, yep! Didn't know that I was allowed to back then. There was no such thing as the internet, it was much harder to get information and therefore much easier for those that wish to keep others "in the dark" (yes, I have heard of a library) to do so. Now I find myself as the only one in my "group" (family/friends) that understands the need of protection and therefore I'm the paranoid gun-nut, I get a lot of "eye-rolls":?as I'm sure you all have.

Shane.
    Yep. At least from strangers. Family less than in the beginning.

Great that you "have seen the light". And thanks again

TJ

Post imported post

I tell my wife (excuse the analogy if it offends) it's like a Christian wearing a cross. They are expressing their belief, I am expressing my belief in my right to defend myself by wearing a gun.

Post imported post

icode wrote:
    I tell my wife (excuse the analogy if it offends) it's like a Christian wearing a cross. They are expressing their belief, I am expressing my belief in my right to defend myself by wearing a gun.
    Dont exactly like or agree with the analogy, but I understand what you are saying.

Post imported post

Vegas_Dave wrote:
    icode wrote:
    Dont exactly like or agree with the analogy, but I understand what you are saying.
    I know, that's why I said "excuse..." It's not analgolous but it gets the point across. That's all I was try to do with her. I'm not trying to directly compare a symbol of faith to carrying a gun at all.

Post imported post

I know, otherwise I would have likely jumped on that a bit...

Post imported post

Vegas_Dave wrote:
    I know, otherwise I would have likely jumped on that a bit...
    Great we ALREADY have an understanding

Shane.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome, Shane! I'm also in Henderson. We should really have a Henderson get together some time. Seems like everything anyone ever does in Vegas is out on 95 and Ann Rd or something. :-)

I OC & CC all around the valley. If it weren't for wife and kids, I'd probably volunteer to be a test case in BC for OC, since we attend church in BC and are there frequently throughout the week.

I've yet to have any negative comments from anyone re: OC. I have OC'd at:

Wal-Mart
    Vons
    Albertsons
    B of A
    Too many gas stations to count
    CVS
    Outback Steakhouse
    Big Lots
    Costco
    Silver Bowl Park/Soccer complex

I CC more than OC simply because I'm at work lots of hours each day, and a lot of our other activities revolve around stuff with the kids. While I have OC'd with the kids, I tend not to do so in big gatherings of "kid functions" just out of courtesy to others.

I have neighbors that are CSI (Metro), Officer (Hend PD), NHP and two of the three have gone out of their way to comment positively about OC, reinforcing that it was legal and "no one can say anything to you about it" - as if I would be doing it if I didn't know that already. :-)

I also have a close friend who is a training coordinator for Metro and another who is with Boulder City PD. My Metro friend is a good "gun guy," and it hasn't come up much with the guy I know from BC PD.

All in all, I think Nevada LEO are well aware of OC and respect people's rights for the most part. I wouldn't doubt that OC on the strip might get you some questions and even a lecture about discretion, but threats of being made to "eat pavement" the second a LEO sees you OCing here are fictitious and exaggerated in my estimation.

Regards,
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast