• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

icode

imported post

I've been reading this forum for a while so I figured I'd join. So... Hi :)

I am not new to guns, I have two boys whom I take shooting, I have used a handgun defensively in the past to save my life. That's me in a nut-shell (pun's intended).

Shane.

Erus

imported post

Hey Shane!

Welcome aboard... Glad to have you. Sorry to hear you had to resort to using your sidearm to defend your life. Happy that you were ready and able to.

Enjoy!

Erus

icode

imported post

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I do not have a CCW so when I carry it's right out there for the world to see. I've never had a problem or even a glance, although to be honest I've not carried in recent years very much, bad on me, I know. This forum has certainly bolstered my courage to begin doing so again - for my own protection and to express my right to do so.

The short version of my experiance - it was about 20 years ago, I was getting gas about midnight on Maryland Pkwy and Russell (I think it was Russell). While I was waiting for the gas pump to be turned on 5 thugs exited the store walking toward me. As they neared me they broke apart, laughing and I knew I was in trouble. Since I was leaning/sitting on the car I felt it move as one of them who was behind me struck me in the back of the head with a bat or pipe. As I fell forward the rest closed on me and beat me in the face. I spun out of the group and grabbed my gun from the front seat of my car. Upon seeing the gun they ceased and ran off. That's how I remember it. There's more to it of course but that's the Reader's Digest version.

Shane.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

We should meet up and have some coffee or something. I have been carrying here in Nevada for about 4 years with no issues yet.

send me a P.M. if you want.

- B

Vegas_Dave

imported post

Wow. Glad to hear that you were able to defend yourself.

This type of stuff happens way too often anymore for people not to protect themselves.

icode

imported post

Looking back I just wish I'd have known the laws. Had I been standing there with a gun on my hip I probably wouldn't have been attacked. If they would have attacked anyway I'm pretty sure that at least one of them would have been answering to a higher judge;)

Vegas_Dave

imported post

This is true. Most people simply do not know the laws.

I stopped at Towbin Dodge today to look at the new Journey (need a 3rd row as we have baby #3 due in November).

One of the first things the sales guy asked was "do you work for Metro or N. Las Vegas?" When I told him that I am not a LEO, he sat there kindof dumbfounded... "Detective?" . I then told him that no, I was a private citizen and it is legal in Nevada to open carry a firearm.

Was interesting. It was the first time I had to actually talk about it while carrying.

icode

imported post

Very interesting. But he took your word for it and went about the business at hand?

Shane.

edit: Congrats on the new baby!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Erus wrote:
Hey Shane!

Welcome aboard... Glad to have you. Sorry to hear you had to resort to using your sidearm to defend your life. Happy that you were ready and able to.

Enjoy!

Erus

Where can I read about this ???

TJ

Vegas_Dave

imported post

icode wrote:
Very interesting. But he took your word for it and went about the business at hand?

Shane.

edit: Congrats on the new baby!

Yeah,

He did seem a little aprehensive as we walked into the back inventory lot though. Both he and his manager (I met them both simultaneously) assumed I was LEO.

I just told him, nope, private citizen & businessman, just protecting myself.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

icode wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
icode wrote:
Go up a few posts...;)

"Now do I feel like an A$$hole" as Jack Nicholson said in "A Few Good Men".

TJ
No worries:D

Thanks.

Yeah, it could have turned out REALLY bad, but I am glad you are around to tell about it.

As you know, I (We) OC, so that we can DETER this kinda stuff:celebrate

TJ

icode

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
icode wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
icode wrote:
Go up a few posts...;)

TJ

Thanks.

Yeah, it could have turned out REALLY bad, but I am glad you are around to tell about it.

TJ

Um, yep! Didn't know that I was allowed to back then. There was no such thing as the internet, it was much harder to get information and therefore much easier for those that wish to keep others "in the dark" (yes, I have heard of a library:banghead:) to do so. Now I find myself as the only one in my "group" (family/friends) that understands the need of protection and therefore I'm the paranoid gun-nut, I get a lot of "eye-rolls":?as I'm sure you all have.

Shane.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

icode wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
icode wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
icode wrote:
Go up a few posts...;)

TJ

Thanks.

TJ

Um, yep! Didn't know that I was allowed to back then. There was no such thing as the internet, it was much harder to get information and therefore much easier for those that wish to keep others "in the dark" (yes, I have heard of a library:banghead:) to do so. Now I find myself as the only one in my "group" (family/friends) that understands the need of protection and therefore I'm the paranoid gun-nut, I get a lot of "eye-rolls":?as I'm sure you all have.

Shane.

Yep. At least from strangers. Family less than in the beginning.

Great that you "have seen the light". And thanks again

TJ

icode

imported post

I tell my wife (excuse the analogy if it offends) it's like a Christian wearing a cross. They are expressing their belief, I am expressing my belief in my right to defend myself by wearing a gun.