• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

icode wrote:
I tell my wife (excuse the analogy if it offends) it's like a Christian wearing a cross. They are expressing their belief, I am expressing my belief in my right to defend myself by wearing a gun.
Dont exactly like or agree with the analogy, but I understand what you are saying.

icode

imported post

Vegas_Dave wrote:
icode wrote:
I tell my wife (excuse the analogy if it offends) it's like a Christian wearing a cross. They are expressing their belief, I am expressing my belief in my right to defend myself by wearing a gun.
Dont exactly like or agree with the analogy, but I understand what you are saying.
I know, that's why I said "excuse..." It's not analgolous but it gets the point across. That's all I was try to do with her. I'm not trying to directly compare a symbol of faith to carrying a gun at all.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome, Shane! I'm also in Henderson. We should really have a Henderson get together some time. Seems like everything anyone ever does in Vegas is out on 95 and Ann Rd or something. :)

I OC & CC all around the valley. If it weren't for wife and kids, I'd probably volunteer to be a test case in BC for OC, since we attend church in BC and are there frequently throughout the week.

I've yet to have any negative comments from anyone re: OC. I have OC'd at:

Wal-Mart
Vons
Albertsons
B of A
Too many gas stations to count
CVS
Outback Steakhouse
Big Lots
Costco
Silver Bowl Park/Soccer complex

I CC more than OC simply because I'm at work lots of hours each day, and a lot of our other activities revolve around stuff with the kids. While I have OC'd with the kids, I tend not to do so in big gatherings of "kid functions" just out of courtesy to others.

I have neighbors that are CSI (Metro), Officer (Hend PD), NHP and two of the three have gone out of their way to comment positively about OC, reinforcing that it was legal and "no one can say anything to you about it" - as if I would be doing it if I didn't know that already. :)

I also have a close friend who is a training coordinator for Metro and another who is with Boulder City PD. My Metro friend is a good "gun guy," and it hasn't come up much with the guy I know from BC PD.

All in all, I think Nevada LEO are well aware of OC and respect people's rights for the most part. I wouldn't doubt that OC on the strip might get you some questions and even a lecture about discretion, but threats of being made to "eat pavement" the second a LEO sees you OCing here are fictitious and exaggerated in my estimation.

Regards,
Bob

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

icode wrote:
Vegas_Dave wrote:
icode wrote:
I know, that's why I said "excuse..." It's not analgolous but it gets the point across. That's all I was try to do with her. I'm not trying to directly compare a symbol of faith to carrying a gun at all.

Here is one that one offend anyone.

cunstructions workers often carry shingle hammers that have a hatchet on the back. Does that make them evil warmongers? No, it makes the prepared to do their job... How easy would it be for that worker to bury that hatchet in someone's forehead? Not to hard at all.

I feel it's my civil and moral duty to carry the tools necessary to protect myself, my family and my loved ones... and perhaps some old lady who is being mugged.

We are talking about the Boyscout motto here, people. Always be prepared.

Carry your damn gun, every day.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Vegas_Dave wrote:
Yeah,

He did seem a little aprehensive as we walked into the back inventory lot though. Both he and his manager (I met them both simultaneously) assumed I was LEO.

I just told him, nope, private citizen & businessman, just protecting myself.
I get the same thing -- alot of dumb looks. A guy who's not a buy, but who has a gun, and is in here buying something rather than robbing me? Does not compute.

OTOH, Pizza delivery guy was very curious the other day, asking about how to get a permit, etc. Though I have a CCW, I rarely volunteer the fact and indicate that no permit is necessary. Most people who ask seem pleasantly surprised by that answer and indicate they'd be willing to try it.

And a busboy at a restaurant the other night insisted on following me out to the parking lot so he could ask alot of questions. He is hispanic and was concerned he might be singled out by the cops. Along with the 2A/OC advice, I also recommended he learn his other rights, such as 4A and 5A. You don't have to talk to police, and don't have to allow them to search. They can be persuasive, so just learn instinctively to ask "Am I being detained? Am I free to go? Am I required to allow you to (disarm me, search me, search my vehicle, let you in my house, etc) by law?"

But a few days ago an associate of mine saw me OC for the first time (we usually see each other at work) and he was very apprehensive. Maybe because he met me at a gas station to borrow a couple of bucks and it may have looked suspicious to others, both of us rolling up to the gas station a few seconds apart, an armed man exits one vehicle, hands money to the driver of another vehicle...you get the picture.

He kept asking "Why do you carry that thing LIKE THAT?" He couldn't comprehend how it was legal. I just don't have a good answer to respond to people who don't understand the law doesn't GIVE you rights, it only RESTRICTS them. Whenever I try, I usually say something like "the law doesn't say I'm allowed to breathe, but I do so anyway," and my point is lost on them. My experience has been that I'm just referred to as a gun-nut.

That's OK with me. I carry a gun to protect myself and my family, not to impress, educate, intimidate, or worry about what others think. If a harmless insult intimidates me, what chance do I stand in a real threat?

Tim

icode

imported post

timf343 wrote:
That's OK with me. I carry a gun to protect myself and my family, not to impress, educate, intimidate, or worry about what others think. If a harmless insult intimidates me, what chance do I stand in a real threat?

Tim
Very good point!

icode

imported post

I have a question that is perhaps a little of subject. If our mission is simply protection and not to educate the masses i.e. express our right, why not just get a "Security" badge and hang on your belt with your gun? That would make those that are uneasy more comfotable and we could still protect ourselves.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

icode wrote:
I have a question that is perhaps a little of subject. If our mission is simply protection and not to educate the masses i.e. express our right, why not just get a "Security" badge and hang on your belt with your gun? That would make those that are uneasy more comfotable and we could still protect ourselves.

It's a lie.

Depending on the "badge" it could be construed as impersonating an officer.

It's not my responsibility to make sure others are "comfortable" with me exercising my rights. Whether that right is the freedom of association, freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom against unreasonable search/seizure.

We don't have to go out of our way to offend people, but neither is there any reason to "coddle" those who would infringe our rights due to their discomfort. I could carry my Bible in a paper grocery sack when I walk to my car so as not to offend my Muslim or Jewish neighbors, but I don't.

Rosa Parks could have just quietly gone to the back of the bus rather than cause a commotion.