• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention for Concealed Carry?

kmcdowel

imported post

Just wondering your thoughts. I've never carried with retention concealed or open. If I was going to be living here in Michigan for much longer, I would be getting a new holster offering retention. Instead, I'm moving to Florida for graduate school. As I'm sure you know, Florida is a CC only state. It seems like the most often used reason supporting retention is to protect against someone grabbing your gun. When CCing this isn't really a problem (assuming you're not printing I guess...)

What type of holsteris preferred while OCing; with retention or without?

ScottyT

imported post

OCing I really like a SERPA CQC or Level 2

CC, your best retention is awareness, find a comfortable IWB holster. The Crossbreed Supertuck Delux comes highly recommended, though I have yet to order mine (soon though!)

tracylaud83

imported post

I've been using the "Smart Carry" for a week now.

I found that lower and tighter is better for this holster, However, considering where the gun is, it does take some getting used to.

Printing isn't really a problem with the Makarov or the Walther.

mazellan819

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
OCing I really like a SERPA CQC or Level 2

CC, your best retention is awareness, find a comfortable IWB holster.  The Crossbreed Supertuck Delux comes highly recommended, though I have yet to order mine (soon though!)

+1

kmcdowel

imported post

I checked out the two mentioned, and the crossbreed supertuck deluxe looks great. I watched a few video's on youtube showing the smart carry, it looks snug and comfortable. The big problem I see is that drawing would be sssslllllooooowwwwwwwwwww, esecially if you want to get a good grip (very important as you all know). It also does seem like it would be uncomfortable when you sit down, but the video's seemed to show that wasn't a problem.

How do you like drawing from that holster Tracylaud?

EDIT: Found a video of a guy drawing from the smartcarry. It's pretty fast, but he has to 'pinch' grip it then readjust to a full grip once he gets it out. Seems like a good way to drop a gun (i.e., switching grips from pinch to full that fast and under pressure).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAGra_QYHtI&NR=1

tracylaud83

imported post

I like the smart carry.

I'm 5'10'', 180 pounds, I practiced drawing from this holster, and I can grab my Mak in one motion (not changing my grip). It is also really comfortable when sitting down. I don't think I'd like to go from FL to PA while wearing it, but for driving around town for the day, sitting at the desk, it's good.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I OC (or CC with a jacket or some sweaters) with Blackhawk Serpa CQCs. They have decent retention, I like them and they are locally available. I plan on getting a shoulder holster platform for them to give me another CC option.

The Supertuck has been positively reviewed time and again. The company owner is an active poster on XDTalk forums if you want some more info on that. After a year of looking and trying out holsters (when rarely available to test) I am 99% sure I am going with Minotaur MTAC but I have a few other option I want to explore still before making a final decision.

Mjolnir

imported post

Comp-Tac http://www.comp-tac.com/ makes superb CC holsters & with a CC holster no retention is needed at all. I've got a C.T.A.C. for my 239 and wore it 16 hours today & 6 of them were driving & it's super comfortable.

The Minotaur MTAC is getting superb reviews from everybody that has one & I was planning on getting one for my Sig 229 till I got a Raven Systems LC as I really like the TLR-1 attached to the 229 & with the RC LC holster this is a superb combo that conceals easy.

RC also makes some superb CC holsters, check em out and e-mail Jay with any questions as RC is extremly customer friendly and will work with you to get the exact rig you want.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/
http://www.themalabarfront.com/

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I OC (or CC with a jacket or some sweaters) with Blackhawk Serpa CQCs. They have decent retention, I like them and they are locally available. I plan on getting a shoulder holster platform for them to give me another CC option.

The Supertuck has been positively reviewed time and again. The company owner is an active poster on XDTalk forums if you want some more info on that. After a year of looking and trying out holsters (when rarely available to test) I am 99% sure I am going with Minotaur MTAC but I have a few other option I want to explore still before making a final decision.
Well, darnit. I thought I had decided until Whiterabbit posted a new thread about a new offering from Tucker that has leather lined kydex. One of their holsters if very similar to the Crossbreed and MTAC. I may go that direction now. Darnit.

VtCO

State Researcher
imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
Comp-Tac http://www.comp-tac.com/ makes superb CC holsters & with a CC holster no retention is needed at all. I've got a C.T.A.C. for my 239 and wore it 16 hours today & 6 of them were driving & it's super comfortable.

The Minotaur MTAC is getting superb reviews from everybody that has one & I was planning on getting one for my Sig 229 till I got a Raven Systems LC as I really like the TLR-1 attached to the 229 & with the RC LC holster this is a superb combo that conceals easy.

RC also makes some superb CC holsters, check em out and e-mail Jay with any questions as RC is extremly customer friendly and will work with you to get the exact rig you want.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/
http://www.themalabarfront.com/
+1 on the MTAC. The more you wear it, the better it gets. The leather begins to mold around you and after a few days of wearing it, you don't even notice it's there anymore.