• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo serialization... the creeps are in Seattle.

joeroket

imported post

There are 12 common handgun and assault weapon calibers.

WTF? Assault weapon calibers?!?!?!?! What a bunch of asshats. What the hell happened to rifle caliber? Unbelievable that they are trying o capitalize on this by using that phrase.

spike89

imported post

joeroket wrote:
There are 12 common handgun and assault weapon calibers.

WTF?  Assault weapon calibers?!?!?!?!  What a bunch of asshats. What the hell happened to rifle caliber? Unbelievable that they are trying o capitalize on this by using that phrase.

And did you also notice this little gem... "A licensing fee for each bullet sold would also be required"

Ahhh, so it really ISN'T about the sob story they give about gun violence cutting down cops and children in their prime. Nope, it is really about this company making some $$$

Dr. Fresh

imported post

WTF?? Most common rifle AND handgun calibers are military as well.

.223, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R (come on), .308, 9mm, .45, etc etc.

Screw these bastages!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
http://ammocoding.com
10002 Aurora Avenue N. #4432
Seattle, WA 98133
O 425.742.2454
F 425.743.1452
info@ammocoding.com

Interesting they would have a 425 area code, the prefix is a Lynnwood number. A Seattle address and a Lynnwood phone...

That address is registered to:

Ravensforge LLC who is the parent that has applied for the patent for bullet serialization: http://www.patentsdb.org/patent/apparatus_and_method_for_identifying_ammunition-1790695.html

"The present invention is directed to identifying ammunition. In one embodiment, an identifiable ammunition cartridge includes a bullet having a first identification surface, a casing having a second identification surface, and an identifying code positioned on at least one of the first and the second identification surfaces. In another embodiment, a method for identifying ammunition includes selecting a first code portion and a second code portion, and combining the first code portion with the second code portion to form an identifier that may be applied to the ammunition. In still another embodiment, a method for tracking ammunition having an identifier includes storing the identifier and a corresponding identity of a first custodian in a data storage system, transferring the ammunition to a second custodian, associating the ammunition identifier with an identity of the second custodian, and storing the identity corresponding to the second custodian in the data storage system."

Full text of the patent available here: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7143697.PN.&OS=PN/7143697&RS=PN/7143697

What a bunch of idiots! So you cannot ever use ammo that someone else bought? Completely unenforceable, unregulateable.

Can you see this conversation at the range?

"Hey Bob, I'm all out, can I borrow a box and pay you back later?"

"Sure Joe, I first need you to fill out thisform transferring the ammo to you..."

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
So you cannot ever use ammo that someone else bought?
Which of course is precisely what they are proposing. No unregistered ammo or components, and non-transferable. Perhaps the gov'ment should be the test case for this; it would make sorting out those 50-shot encounters easier. Or perhaps only gang members - after they register as such and get the driver's licenses stamped so the store clerks know to give them marked ammo.
launch.png

Nosrac

imported post

I hope this isn't one of those really dumb ideas that actually gets seriously considered. All it takes is a slantednews story and everyone thinks it's the greatest idea since sliced bread.

spike89

imported post

Nosrac wrote:
I hope this isn't one of those really dumb ideas that actually gets seriously considered.   All it takes is a slanted news story and everyone thinks it's the greatest idea since sliced bread.

Oh, but it has already... http://www.king5.com/video/index.html?z=y&nvid=235108&shu=1

All slanted "for" this technology, with 2 different "pro" interviews. The "against" reason is that "some gun owners say this infringes on their right to bear arms", stated by the reporter in the voiceover. She probably got that argument right from the "pro" folks and never talked to anybody who thinks this technology is bogus.

buketdude

imported post

thos idiots came to CT this year to try to push that crap...so many people spoke out against it and it was opposed by our State Police....and some ammo companies said they just would not sell in the state...plus with reloading..it was a mess...and did not even come up for a vote....

spike89

imported post

Ammunition serialization is about as practical as requiring farmers to put serial numbers inside of watermelons.

Better yet, in the story substitute the word "cigarettes" for "ammo" and see how that plays out. Or how about "french fries". Both of those end up killing more folks than bullets.

Nosrac

imported post

spike89 wrote:
Nosrac wrote:
I hope this isn't one of those really dumb ideas that actually gets seriously considered. All it takes is a slantednews story and everyone thinks it's the greatest idea since sliced bread.

Oh, but it has already... http://www.king5.com/video/index.html?z=y&nvid=235108&shu=1

All slanted "for" this technology, with 2 different "pro" interviews. The "against" reason is that "some gun owners say this infringes on their right to bear arms", stated by the reporter in the voiceover. She probably got that argument right from the "pro" folks and never talked to anybody who thinks this technology is bogus.
Thanks I just watched it. That wasa pathetic piece.

Shy_Panda

imported post

Nosrac wrote:
Considering sliced bread was specifically created for the toaster which until that point had no purpose whatsoever. I wonder how this will play out, I would like to believe that our politicians are not that stupid as to think that this is a viable technology... then again stranger things have happened (seeexplaination of sliced bread above).

badger

imported post

While we're at it, why not go all out and start an 'Uncoded for Coded' ammo exchange program allowing Big Brother to know precisely how much ammo we've got stockpiled in our personal bunkers?!

Seriously, the thought of this catching on and becoming law makes me ill.

-Badger