• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo serialization... the creeps are in Seattle.

400HP

imported post

Here is a pdf version of the patent. Being an electrical engineer by trade, this is one lame patent. Putting numbers on bullets...Wow Kind of like patentingphone numbers.

Do you know what is really funny? They don't even patent HOW to do it. It is like patenting the idea of a time machine...but not solving how to do it.

Attachments

• DorkPatent.pdf
    605.1 KB · Views: 93

spike89

imported post

On their website, they try to justify the "low cost" by only talking about the cost of the laser engraver. But they fail to note the fact that ammo plants would have to completely re-organize and retool to transition from large-batch production to essentially 50 round batch production lots to keep all the serial numbers aligned. And what happens to rejects? What if one bullet out of a 50 round batch fails to seat correctly --- toss the batch? Remake the single round with a "spare" bullet with the same serial number? What about military contracts? If they don't have serialization, I guess that means no more overrrun/surplus ammo sales to the public.

phoneguy

imported post

This outfit is going from state to state pushing there snake oil. If any state signs it into law there will be a monopoly to buy there bullets from that company.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

phone guy wrote:
This outfit is going from state to state pushing there snake oil. If any state signs it into law there will be a monopoly to buy there bullets from that company.
IIRC, a couple of states have been told by ammo companies that they would simply get no ammo for any government agency if this passed. California was one of them I think. I know they considered this crap a couple of years back. This is one area where the manufacturers have nothing to lose and everything to gain by simply saying "no you can't have our products". Imagine if state police, local police, and the national guard couldn't buy ammo. I think this sort of foolishness would get shot down very quick.

Holo

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
phone guy wrote:
IIRC, a couple of states have been told by ammo companies that they would simply get no ammo for any government agency if this passed. California was one of them I think. I know they considered this crap a couple of years back. This is one area where the manufacturers have nothing to lose and everything to gain by simply saying "no you can't have our products". Imagine if state police, local police, and the national guard couldn't buy ammo. I think this sort of foolishness would get shot down very quick.

Good to hear, it just sounds like a very poor idea for gun "control".

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
Bobcav: "There are a thousand ways to destroy liberty... But only one way to restore it."

through violence of action?

Edited to indicate response and nullify stupidity.
I'll let history speak for itself. I can do no better, and each man must form his own opinions and make his own choices.