• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USP SC vs P2000

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

I'm not yet 21, so I'm still shopping around, but my first two choices as of yet when that day comes are the H&K USP compact and H&K P2000. I was able to fire a USP C at Bullseye in Tacoma, but the P2000 was out for repiars (probably its annual cleaning). I've held both and like the feel of them equally, but don't really want to purchase anything without having fired it first.
Just wondering if anyone has fired both and could help me decide between the two firearms.

Also if anyone happens to see either for private sale, or has one for private sale, please contact me.

[edit: USP Compact, not Sub-Compact]

just_a_car

imported post

I have fired the USP when I was trying out a bunch of .40-caliber handguns at Sam's to figure out which fit me best and it didn't fit me well at all.

Oddly enough, the subcompact GLOCK 27 was best fit for me, which obviously is different for each person.

Now, as for reliability, I'd personally stay away from the USP. They're pretty, but you better not get it near any dirt or grime. This torture test always gives me 'warm fuzzies' to know I carry my G27 when I step out the door (and they test a USP compact .45 in a couple of the tests): http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

If the grip angle and everything fits you well, I'm sure there are other guns out there that are similar with better reliability. Some that come to mind that I'd put up there with GLOCK are the 1911, Springfield XD, and Smith & Wesson M&P (the latter two not having a long time on the market, but showing promise in some torture tests I've seen).

rysa

imported post

I've had the fullsize H&K 45 and the compact 9mm; a P2000 in 9mm and a SK in .40.

I had no problems with any of the guns but my little girly hands fit MUCH better around the P2000's and the recoil was nothing.

I cant say i reliability tested any of these to thier limits. I dont recall having but 1 failure and that was with the p2000 and an out of round case that wouldnt feed.

My 2 cents but for the money i would get a Glock if that fits your hand and a bunch of ammo with what you save. You wont have any reliability problems (at least not mechanical ones).

If your a new shooter or one who doesnt like to clean thier guns often i would stay away from the 1911 style.

(before i get tagged by all the 1911 guys, i carry a kimber ultra CC when im not OC'ing :D:D:celebrate

expvideo

imported post

I've heard good things about them, but no better things than any other quality handgun. If you really want to spend the money, it's up to you, but your going to get the same package and possibly even more reliability for a LOT less with a Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Sig P250, etc.

spike89

imported post

expvideo wrote:
I've heard good things about them, but no better things than any other quality handgun.  If you really want to spend the money, it's up to you, but your going to get the same package and possibly even more reliability for a LOT less with a Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Sig P250, etc.

Plus rumor has it that HK service/support favors LE/Military folks and blows off civilians (I have no personal experience on this, just your average internet rumor).

I shot a USP when I was first getting into handguns, and the Glocks just felt and shot better for me. Still not convinced that I didn't need to have the "cool factor" or whatever that the HK seemed to possess, I asked the guys at the shop (Vancura's gun works in Poulsbo, now boarded up) which pistol they'd recommend for durability, ease of maintenance, and accuracy acceptable for self-defense or plinking, either the USP or the G17. All three of them said Glock hands-down.

I've got a G17 and a G30 (carry).

I say get whatever shoots best and feels best for you, but remember that for daily carry reliability you're gonna have to do some maintenance on it just to keep the dirt, lint and sweat out of it. Whether that maintenance must happen weekly, monthly, or yearly :shock: might depend on your choice of firearm. You might ask folks on an H&K forum for opinions, I have no experience with maintaining an H&K. I remember the USP manual stating something along the lines of "you should take your pistol to an H&K armorer for yearly service".

A major selling point for me on the Glock was the fact that I can completely tear it apart down to every last spring and put it back together again in about 10 minutes, and replacing every internal part (minus the barrel) can be done for about 25 bucks. Of course I don't do this every time, but once a year the piece gets a full stripdown for deep cleaning. I put my own night sights on, accessories are plentiful, most mags are interchangeable between models in the same caliber, and I can use the slide to pound nails.

Just letting you know why I chose Glock over an H&K USP. Comparing a USP to a Glock is like apples and oranges as far as the action is concerned (unless you get the DAO/leverless USP variant). So if you want a hammer on your pistol, Glock is out. Ditto for external safety and decocking lever.

Bear 45/70

imported post

I'd chose the H&K over almost anyone elses gun for self defense. The wife has had her Compact 45 for years now and has never had a malfunction, ever and that includes reloads thru it. We did replace the barrel "O" ring a couple years ago as preventive maintenance.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Bear 4570 wrote (I'd chose the H&K over almost anyone elses gun for self defense)

:what::what::what:

Given his comments on most everything he posts, this would be a good endorsement for anything OTHER THAN an H&K

Bear 45/70

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Bear 4570 wrote (I'd chose the H&K over almost anyone elses gun for self defense)

:what::what::what:

Given his comments on most everything he posts, this would be a good endorsement for anything OTHER THAN an H&K
Given your comment it seems you are a grudge holder and can't take anyones opinion but your own. And you claim to be a wheel gun guy only, so what the hell do you know about autos? If you want to start something, I'm available.
rolleyes.gif

Trigger Dr

imported post

OK Bear, let's say that I have started something... How about you and I settling it at the Kitsap get together in July...Horse shoes at he regulation distance. First one to 15 wins.:celebrate:D

For as opinionated as you appear to be, you definately do not have a very thick skin. You can dish it out but certainly can't take it.:D

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Is this the battle of the old guys again? :p You two are setting a great example for me when I get to retirement age!

Bear hasn't steered me wrong on gun recomendations. The only thing I don't like is he keeps showing me expensive guns! Major drool factor when some of those babies come out!

Bobarino

imported post

my 2 cents;

i'm an "HK guy". i love their products, but not their attitude towards civilians. that is supposedly changing with new mgmt. we hope. now on to the guns. i have and carry a compact .40 and have had it for about 9 years. it has well north of 10,000 rounds through it. the only thing i've had to replace was a circlip on the end of the guide rod that holds the captive recoil spring. hk sent me a few in the mail free right away when i called.

when you look through the cleaned barrel, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a brand new one. no joke. its still shiny and free of any marks. the steel is so hard, that when i tried to polish the feedramp with the dremmel, it took nearly 3 hours on the 30,000 rpm setting to make any headway. its better, but still not mirror smooth. i gave up when the dremmel got too hot to hold any more.

its more accurate than i am and even the original magazines still work perfectly fine even after 9 years of carry and cycling through thousands of rounds.

they are heavy and blocky for a compact gun. they're maybe even overbuilt but thats one thing i like about them.

comparing the USP-C to the P2000 i like the USP better simply for its more traditional control arrangement. i don't particularly care for the LEM trigger, nor the weird placement of the decocker on the DA models. i DO like the sleeker design and changeable backstraps though.

you can't go wrong with either one in my opinion. wait until the P2000 gets back or try it out and the Marksman (i think they have one or two in their rental case and their rentals are cheaper anyway) on Canyon Rd. if you do it on a Sunday, send me a PM i may be able to join you and you can wring out mine all you want for free. i'll bring the sub 2000 along and you can have a little carbine fun too.

don't be scared off by the nay sayers. HK makes absolutely fine weapons.

Bobby

Bear 45/70

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
OK Bear, let's say that I have started something... How about you and I settling it at the Kitsap get together in July...Horse shoes at he regulation distance. First one to 15 wins.:celebrate:D

For as opinionated as you appear to be, you definately do not have a very thick skin. You can dish it out but certainly can't take it.:D
If I made a comment like yours, I was hammered for starting a fight. I just figured I lay it out plain. The guy asked for an honest opinion from someone who had experience with an H&K. I give an honest response and you question my word? How would you respond to that? I was talking to sv_libertarian about attending the Kitsap thing, but horse shoes is something that is in my past with my hands and arms. Maybe scissors, paper, stone?

Trigger Dr

imported post

Bear,

I am sure that in person you are probably a decent person with a lot to offer. On the other hand, your ability to make disparaging and devisive posts is exemplary.

I question your word on the H&K? What makes your opinion worth more than any other persons? I have been involved in firearms for over 50 years with a major part of that as a shop owner. My opinion is not worth any more than that of the guy off the street that has never had a gun in his hand. That is the thing about opinions. they are like armpits... everyone has a couple and they all stink.

Let's give this a rest and try to maintain a bit of decorum on the forum. If you want to continue, do it by PM.

I stand by my comments, and this is the end of the matter for me.

Hope to see you at the checker board at the Kitsap meet.

And, I appologize to the forum members for my insensitive attempt at humor with Bear 4570

Jim

Bear 45/70

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Bear,

I am sure that in person you are probably a decent person with a lot to offer. On the other hand, your ability to make disparaging and devisive posts is exemplary.

I question your word on the H&K? What makes your opinion worth more than any other persons? I have been involved in firearms for over 50 years with a major part of that as a shop owner. My opinion is not worth any more than that of the guy off the street that has never had a gun in his hand. That is the thing about opinions. they are like armpits... everyone has a couple and they all stink.

Let's give this a rest and try to maintain a bit of decorum on the forum. If you want to continue, do it by PM.

I stand by my comments, and this is the end of the matter for me.

Hope to see you at the checker board at the Kitsap meet.

And, I appologize to the forum members for my insensitive attempt at humor with Bear 4570

Jim

Agreed and I will attempt to word things more carefully.

Fred

team one

imported post

HKs are good guns, I wouldn't hesitate to own either one. I bought a P2000sk, because I wanted a smaller handgun.

Here's a link to a summation of a "break my handgun thread" on a HK forum: http://hkpro.com/forum/showpost.php?p=455848&postcount=329

Complete thread is here: http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51749

As far as glocks, if you like the "glock SAFE" action, instead of DA/SA w/safety/decocker options, or LEM (DAO) action, and you like how it feels in your hand, as well as the trigger feel, it could be a cheaper option. I just don't care for the feel of the trigger at all, personal preference.

Guest1650

imported post

Having used the USP's in my military career, im a little jaded, and anything new feels good to me. However, I prefer the weight, and feel to the usp. But, personally. Even on a CC. i prefer a heavyweight. I carry the beretta 96. and love it.easy to break down, easy to clean.

All in all maybe just holding them isnt enough. Shooting them would do you more justice. after all, you may need to use it to protect yourself,someday.

kenshin

imported post

I've shot both and love both. I own a USP compact 45 which I've carried for years. Put many thousands of rounds through it without a single malfunction whatsoever. :D

The reason that I didn't go with the P2000 when deciding was that as far as I'm aware they only come in 9mm, which in my opinion is not a self-defense round. I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .40. Just my two cents though.

If you are leaning toward the P2000 though, you might consider the P30 which HK just released and is essentially an upgraded version of the P2000. Check out HK Pro

Great forum for anything HK related.

Good luck with your decision! :celebrate