• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Nutty WI Gun Case Decision

Pointman

imported post

Snipped from: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=743809

A week or so ago, Milwaukee Circuit Judge Jeff Kremers said he heard a case involving a 24-year-old man who was arrested at age 16 for stealing a car but went on to graduate from high school, get a job and stay out of trouble. But he apparently didn't realize, perhaps because he was young when the crime occurred, that he wasn't supposed to own any guns. He had bought two handguns from friends. It wasn't until he went to a gun store to buy a third gun and filled out the necessary paperwork that he was told he couldn't legally own a gun.

That same day, he called a friend and offered to sell him the two guns he already owned. What he didn't know was that the friend was a police informant, and the 24-year-old subsequently was arrested. When Kremers weighed the facts, he sentenced the man to the House of Correction.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Virtually all police informants are criminals themselves. Probably was not legal to sell to the informant in the first place.

Rick Finsta

imported post

I'm not usually one to agree with the Journal Sentinel, but this is one of those rare cases. Judges have discretion for a reason, and unfortunately, some abuse it to further their warped social agendas. However, I think prior restraint on their judgement is no worse than prior restraint on ours (as gun owners), so it's not exactly bringing me to tears that judges are being told to be harsher with penalties. What I really don't like is the prospect that this could later be made to apply to CCW violations or the like.

Like when Doyle said he wanted to make ALL firearms violations put the accused on the prohibited persons list, including misdemeanors like CCW, or perhaps disorderly conduct while armed (Open Carry B.S. charge).

Just my rambling $0.02

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Once any infringement is acceptable then the bar will be lowered until we are all disbarred our Second Amendment Right under color of law.

They came for the felons and their guns and that was OK 'cause I'm not a felon and they shouldn't have guns. They came for the miscreants and that was OK too because I'm a good guy, even to not beating my wife and those that do shouldn't have guns. Then they came for the citizen activist patriots and there was no one else to fight for my right to my gun.