• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at Boca Raton University

bohdi

imported post

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3w3uqz

Highlights from the article:

Someone called Boca Raton police, who relayed the message to FAU police at 1:16 a.m., said campus Police Chief Charles Lowe.

Emergency sirens and public address systems were activated at 1:42 a.m., alerting people that a gunman could be on campus. A live broadcast over loudspeakers told people there was a shooting and to seek shelter.

Brogan said the siren system was put in about 60 days ago.

He said the nearly 30 minutes between the shooting and alarm to students was a good turn-around time since the system had not been tested yet.

But not everyone got the message.

Sophomore Kelsey Hamilton, who lives in the dorms, slept through the announcements and sirens. He found out about the shooting when a friend called him on his cell phone to see if he was all right.

"(The loudspeaker announcement) was so low it sounded like a neighbor's TV," Hamilton said. "It was that quiet."

That was money well spent....30 minutes. nice.

swillden

imported post

bohdi wrote:
That was money well spent....30 minutes. nice
How many active shooter situations even last 30 minutes? :banghead:

It'd be a lot cheaper to publish the incident in the next edition of the school newspaper.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

THIRTY MINUTES!?!?! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Whether or not a system had been tested, I want to know what they're smoking.

They'd better all be on their knees thankful it was just a fight and a limited number of shots fired.

thnycav

imported post

What about the mass notification systems that use email and cell phones. That really makes sense when they are at class most teachers make them turn off cell phones and the email well that should be obvious.

They never think things through just come up with a quick plan and well we did something.

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail."

-- Abraham Maslow

Rey

imported post

swillden wrote:
bohdi wrote:
That was money well spent....30 minutes. nice
How many active shooter situations even last 30 minutes? :banghead:

It'd be a lot cheaper to publish the incident in the next edition of the school newspaper.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Of course, this is the same school that claims I have a parking ticket from their campus, when I've never even been within 100 miles of the place... :banghead:

So that shows what kind of competence their "safety" department has ;)

imperialism2024

imported post

lildobe wrote:
Of course, this is the same school that claims I have a parking ticket from their campus, when I've never even been within 100 miles of the place... :banghead:

Some nice sharing of DMV information right there...

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
lildobe wrote:

That's what I said - but technically it IS public info...

imperialism2024

imported post

lildobe wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
lildobe wrote:

Just like LTCF records... :?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
lildobe wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
lildobe wrote:

Just like LTCF records... :?
CCW records of confidential in MO :monkey