• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TSA failing pilots on FFDO Psych test

Pointman

imported post

Of course the standards they set for carrying a handgun are unrealistic, which was my point. Anyone who can pilot complex aircraft under all sorts of adverse environmental conditions and emergency situations surely has the mental capacity to properly determine when they are being hijacked. I haven't heard of a pilot beating a passenger for no good reason, and I'm sure they are no more likely to shoot them.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Perhaps there is something wrong with the way in which the TSA administers its programs.
Duh -- ya think?? They dont' do anything else well why would this one thing be any different?

“Would you like to be a fighter pilot?” Considering that many commercial pilots are and have been fighter pilots it’s natural that many would answer that question with a “Yes.” According to Mackett, the TSA concluded that these pilots “had overly aggressive personalities and disqualified them from the program.”
Nice... Hey, did you serve in the United States military in a combat MOS?
Yep, sure did.
Cool, did you carry huge amounts of very lethal ordnance and never abuse the trust so placed in you and did you have 20 mm cannons on your plane?
Yep, sure did.
Did you sometimes even carry the most deadly weapons known to mankind such as nuclear weapons?
Yep, sure did.
And now you just want to cary this little .40 caliber handgun which we will make you lock up in 3-4 stupid, accident waiting to happen ways that would be almost impossible to use to bring down an aircraft unless you killed the co-pilot and yourself.
Yep, sure do.
Yeah, well we, the bureaucrats of TSA who have never done anything more dangerous in our lives than clip a hangnail, think you are too unstable. Instead, we are going to take a bunch of formerly $7.50 per hour security guards, who turned into $35,000/yr TSA screeners overnight and fast track them to make them Air Marshalls thereby allowing them to carry a gun in all 50 states and on aircraft even though they have never, ever in their entire work history have had to face 1/10 the amount of situtional stress you face on a typical stormy day at work.

Jackass3s. I suddenly have an overwhelming desire to wear grey and carry a rifle.

Pointman

imported post

DeepDiver, I think you just hit on something. Anyone who would want to carry a weapon in such an unsafe manor probably shouldn't.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman wrote:
DeepDiver, I think you just hit on something. Anyone who would want to carry a weapon in such an unsafe manor probably shouldn't.
Excellent point, Pointman!

I grew up around military and commercial pilots. Most of these guys are so Type A, anal retentive by the book at work that they would wear suspenders and a belt together just in case. That is how they fly safely. They may be "seat of the pants" in a combat maneuver, but those pants are documented thoroughly in their flight logs. Admittedly, I wouldn't want some of them to have a loaded gun at a Saturday night poker game at my house if my wife and children were home, but I'd trust them with a BAR and a case of hand grenades in the cockpit of their plane.

Baradium

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
MDA_II wrote:
Pilots are prohibited from discussing security issues with members of the press. Before 9/11 most pilots wouldn’t have dreamed of such a thing.
The statuatory basis might be interesting.

Once upon a time a 'fed' tried to convince 'us' that the mere mention of tritium was forbidden. For days, until his visit ended, we chanted "Tritium tritium tritium." at the mention of his name.
I don't see anything that forbids me from telling you the regulations telling me I can't talk to you about security information (haha).

49 C.F.R. Parts 15 and 1520. Also covered partly by 5 U.S.C. 552 (some rules for government agencies).