• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Carolina Stops Releasing Concealed Carry Permit Holder Names

Pointman

imported post

Snipped from: http://research.lawyers.com/news-headline/States-act-to-shield-gun-holders--Ammo-for-debate...-l:781698143.html

April 25, 2008

Last week South Carolina became the latest state to stop making the names of people who have a license to carry a concealed weapon public information.

This year, bills have been introduced in Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri, New York, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia. The Tennessee bill was defeated, West Virginia's bill was tabled, and Virginia's legislative session ended before a bill could be considered. Action is pending in the five other states.

Concealed-weapon records always have been confidential in 26 states according to Colin Weaver, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign [to Promote Gun Violence].

The fight for record privacyintensified last year, partly in response to media outlets in Virginia, Florida and elsewhere posting records online, said South Carolina state Rep. Michael Pitts, a Republican. "People think this one is absolutely a Second Amendment issue, but it's not," said Pitts, a former police officer who introduced his state's bill to close gun-permit records. "It's as much an issue of where does the sunshine on government stop and the protection on individual privacy begin."

The degree to which these records are open or closed varies from state to state, according to an analysis done by the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press. For example:

*In Texas, the database is closed, but a person can pay a fee and find out whether a specific individual is a licensed gun owner.

*In Ohio, records are confidential, but journalists may request to view the name, county of residence and date of birth of each person to whom the sheriff has issued a license to carry a concealed handgun.

Tennessee state Sen. Mark Norris, a Republican who introduced a bill to close his state's concealed-gun permits records, said the main concern is keeping addresses of permit holders private -- particularly of women who have left abusive relationships and don't want the perpetrator to know where they live.

Ron McIsaac, a concealed-weapons permit holder in South Carolina who uses a wheelchair, said he doesn't like the idea of his address being made public, partly because he thinks burglars might target his home to steal guns, and he feels he needs a gun for protection because of his handicap. "All anybody has to do now is come by and knock me off the chair, and I'm like a turtle who's been tossed over on his back." "So it's important for me to have the ability to defend myself in a situation like that."

Weaver, of the Brady Campaign, said there's no evidence to show that open records put people who carry concealed weapons in greater danger. "We feel that the greater danger is putting concealed-weapons permits in the hands of convicted felons and people that should not be allowed to have them."

Mark Bilicki, a firearms instructor in Greenville, S.C., said he can understand why some people might not want their name and address published, and he tells his students not to put an NRA sticker on their vehicle because it's an advertisement for burglars. He said that for many people, though, letting everyone know they may be carrying a gun is a point in their favor for safety. "Quite frankly, I want everybody to know I own a gun."

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Pointman wrote:
Mark Bilicki, a firearms instructor in Greenville, S.C., said ... he tells his students not to put an NRA sticker on their vehicle because it's an advertisement for burglars.

An advertisement for burglars and more!

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA LEO FOAD

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fine, let's start publishing the names, home addresses and ages of people in the community who do not own a firearm. If it doesn't put anyone at risk, let's get the info out there. Anyone not on the list of non-gun owners can be assumed then to be gun owners.

Flintlock

imported post

No, it's better to list personal information from the people that write and publish the news article showing the data. I've seen it happen before, they usually stop all quick-like.. :cool:

Huck

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
No, it's better to list personal information from the people that write and publish the news article showing the data. I've seen it happen before, they usually stop all quick-like.. :cool:

Didnt that happen in Virginia last year? Some newspaper published the names of CCW holders citing that "the people have the right to know if there's sex offenders, child molesters, and CCW holders in their neghborhood". I recall that someone posted the names, addresses and phone numbers of everyone who worked at the paper and the folks at the paper were screaming about how wrong it was to do that.

Does anyone remember this?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, it was the Roanoke Times that published it, at least their the one I remember. Looking for a link now about the editorial staff's personal info being published online.

Edit: All I find is that the reporter's home information was posted in some places.

imperialism2024

imported post

I have a solution to this situation.

Adhere to that law... you know, the Second Amendment... and then there wouldn't be any pesky privacy issues because the government would know nothing about gun owners and carriers.