• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Liquor Store - OC or CC

COsteve

imported post

Hi all! A little background: just moved back to PA after 9 years in the PRM (People's Republic of Maryland). Got my CC permit, plan to OC once I get more comfortable. Had a question:

I understand it's permissible to concealed carry in restaraunts that serve alcohol, so long as the carrier is not actually consuming the alcohol. I'm making the assumption that the same holds true for state stores, but then I remembered the VA law that requires open carry in any VA ABC licensed establishment. I couldn't find anything in PA code specifically mentioning state stores, so going on the assumption that if it's not banned it's legal, I guess it's ok. Anyone have specific answers or experience here?

Thanks

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

a. It's a License to Carry Firearms, otherwise known as an LTCF.

b. It's not prohibited (which is different from "permissable") to either openly carry, or concealed carry (with an LTCF) in a restaurant that serves alcohol. You carry in any drinking establishment. You can even drink if you want. Overindulgence, however, may not be the smartest thing to do, but it's not prohibited by law.

c. State stores are not on the restricted list, so you can openly carry, concealed carry, or not carry at all.

If it's not prohibited by law, then it's legal.

axmdr40

imported post

Absolutely nothing banning you from carrying in state stores, or any establishment that serves/sells alcohol, OC or CC. Carry on!

axmdr40

JNod

imported post

As someone who works in the alcohol business, you might want to CC in the store, at least until you are familiar with the workers. The environment is high enough stress with the LCBstapo constantly running raids, irritable people, etc. Considering how high the risk of armed robbery is in such a store and you might want to get to know the workers a little first so they at least recognize you to save yourself some trouble and to save the employees nerves.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

COsteve wrote:
Hi all! A little background: just moved back to PA after 9 years in the PRM (People's Republic of Maryland). Got my CC permit, plan to OC once I get more comfortable. Had a question:

I understand it's permissible to concealed carry in restaraunts that serve alcohol, so long as the carrier is not actually consuming the alcohol. I'm making the assumption that the same holds true for state stores, but then I remembered the VA law that requires open carry in any VA ABC licensed establishment. I couldn't find anything in PA code specifically mentioning state stores, so going on the assumption that if it's not banned it's legal, I guess it's ok. Anyone have specific answers or experience here?

Thanks

I OC every time I I go the Liquor stores here in Utah.

TJ

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

As Statkowski and others correctly pointed out, perfectly legal.

I regularly OC in m local state store and beer distributer. Never an issue.

Just today I OC'ed again in my local state store and then held a 45 minute conversation with a customer/friend of mine that I bumped into right outside the door.