• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is considered "OPEN" carry

SWhetsel

imported post

If I have my pistol holstered in my in-the-pant holster, and I dont have it covered up with my t shirt can I get in trouble? Is this failure to conceal my weapon or is it good enough for me to claim to be openly carrying? I do have my CCW so I dont want to loose it by carrying it this way. Just currious if there is a deffinition of open carry. I carry this way for work because I'm in a car with a tucked in polo shirt. When I get out of the car ( rarely... ) I jump out and do what ever, then get back in. Now I have untucked my polo to cover the pistol located in the center of my back when I go into a fast food joint for lunch, but I would rather not have to sacrifice my appearance in order to conceal my pistol. But is an in the pant holster located in the center of my back "un-concealed" enough to be "openly" carried?

Pauly

imported post

You have your license to conceal so you can carry pretty much any way you want as long as there is a holster involved. There are only two ways to interperate this... open or concealed. Either way you are legal beagle. Hopefully a more experienced fellow will chime in and verify but I am pretty sure this is correct.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Pauly wrote:
You have your license to conceal so you can carry pretty much any way you want as long as there is a holster involved.

If you are on foot and have a CCW, you can conceal the weapon any way you want (e.g. in a pocket, paper bag). You do not need a holster for CC while on foot. You only need a holster when you're carrying a gun on you while in a vehicle.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

This is the way I interpret Ohio law:

CCL = Concelaed Carry License

CCW = Concealed Carry Weapon

On foot with a CCL, Concealed Carrying
You can carry your CCW any way you want. You don't need a holster. You can carry in your pocket or even in a paper bag. You can also carry more than one CCW.

On foot with a CCL, Open Carrying
When you open carry, it is advisable that the weapon be in a holster. You also should not carry the gun in your hand else it be interpreted as "brandishing."

On foot without a CCL, Concealed Carrying
Illegal!

On foot without a CCL, Open Carrying
When you open carry, it is advisable that the weapon be in a holster. You also should not carry the gun in your hand else it be interpreted as "brandishing."

In a vehicle with a CCL, Concealed Carrying
The gun(s) must be in a holster.

In a vehicle with a CCL, Open Carrying

In a vehicle without a CCL, Concealed Carrying
Illegal!

In a vehicle without a CCL, Open Carrying
Illegal!

reefteach

imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
In a vehicle with a CCL, Concealed Carrying

In a vehicle with a CCL, Open Carrying

From the Ohio Revised Code:
(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless one of the following applies:

(a) The loaded handgun is in a holster on the person’s person .

(b) The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

(c) The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed, locked glove compartment or in a case that is locked.
It only has to be in a holster if it is on your person's person. Otherwise it can be locked in the glovebox, or locked in a case that may or may not be in plain sight. If it is in a container that is in plain sight, it does not have to lock. This means it can be in a backpack or purse. Don't ask about the center console of a vehicle, as the precident is currently being set with a case in Medina.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=19309&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Ohio Patriot

imported post

It only has to be in a holster if it is on your person's person.

I understand there are other ways to store the gun in a car. But I was only addressing carrying a gun.That's why I said "concealed carrying" and "open carrying." But the extra info you gave never hurts. :)