• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was in Wal-Mart ...........

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was shopping in sporting goods and I did my regualur walk from guns and ammo to camping and I was looking at the Sleeping Bags and two guys in blue vest walk up and ask

WM guy

"are you a officer"

Me

"no"

WM guy

"do you have a permit for that"

Me

"for what" Thinking to my self do I need a permit for a sleeping bag LOL

WM guy

whispers "the gun"

Me

"is it concelled?"

WM Guy

"no"

Me

"thenI dont need one, its perfictly legal"

WM guy - from concerned to releaved

"wow really"

After that we all talked for ahile about "no weapons signs" were and were not to carry. I swear I think I converted him that night. the other guy followed me around the rest of the time I was in the store, he was showing other workers there was really a guy walking around with a GUN LOL

I was nice and friendly the whole time.

small note the guys were NOT management and should have not confroned me about it. Atleast thats what I was told when I worked at Wal-Mart

:celebrateGettin good info out about it and the public is taking it nicely.

I was a Target today and a guy noticed me carrieing and I had my 2 yr old girl with me and he turn and walked about 5 feet to his wife and said "there is a guy with a gun" and she gave me the quick glance. He acted worried but he had a 3yr old in his cart that I was about 2 feet from and he walked to his wife and lef the little one in the cart. but was to bussy watching his and my daughter laughing at each other LOL

Isolda car a couple weeks ago and the people who got it was signing the paperwork when the lady saw my pistol, she asked "is that a real gun" I replied "yes" and went on nothing else was said about it

just a few of my storys, sorry for the grammer

Nate

Flintlock

imported post

ComSec wrote:
I was shopping in sporting goods and I did my regualur walk from guns and ammo to camping and I was looking at the Sleeping Bags and two guys in blue vest walk up and ask

WM guy

"are you a officer"

Me

"no"

WM guy

"do you have a permit for that"

Me

"for what" Thinking to my self do I need a permit for a sleeping bag LOL

WM guy

whispers "the gun"

Me

"is it concelled?"

WM Guy

"no"

Me

"thenI dont need one, its perfictly legal"

WM guy - from concerned to releaved

"wow really"

After that we all talked for ahile about "no weapons signs" were and were not to carry. I swear I think I converted him that night. the other guy followed me around the rest of the time I was in the store, he was showing other workers there was really a guy walking around with a GUN LOL

I was nice and friendly the whole time.

small note the guys were NOT management and should have not confroned me about it. Atleast thats what I was told when I worked at Wal-Mart

:celebrateGettin good info out about it and the public is taking it nicely.

I was a Target today and a guy noticed me carrieing and I had my 2 yr old girl with me and he turn and walked about 5 feet to his wife and said "there is a guy with a gun" and she gave me the quick glance. He acted worried but he had a 3yr old in his cart that I was about 2 feet from and he walked to his wife and lef the little one in the cart. but was to bussy watching his and my daughter laughing at each other LOL

Isolda car a couple weeks ago and the people who got it was signing the paperwork when the lady saw my pistol, she asked "is that a real gun" I replied "yes" and went on nothing else was said about it

Nate

Why is it one of the first questions that is asked is, "do you have a permit for that?"

As if that is some type of permission slip to make everything ok in the mind of an employee.Employees should not ask or check for permitson anything, it is not their place and none of their business.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Why is it one of the first questions that is asked is, "do you have a permit for that?"

As if that is some type of permission slip to make everything ok in the mind of an employee.Employees should not ask or check for permitson anything, it is not their place and none of their business.

I can think of an alternative and more descriptive epithet than 'employee' for those preferring permission to freedom - and for those granting permission rather than freedom.

Remember, safety is a tyrant's tool because no one can be against safety.

expvideo

imported post

Flintlock wrote:

And why is it that one of the other first questions asked is "is that a real gun", as if I'd be walking around with a toy gun strapped to my hip. What kind of answer are they really expecting? "No, it's a cell phone." Just let them sit there thinking to themselves as if they wereSherlock Holmes,"wait... no it's not!" I think that facial expression might be worth it.

Sa45auto

imported post

People ask "stupid" questions because they are unlearned. If they were truly anti they would run for help.

ComSec did a great job in each instance of answering their question and calming their fears.

He is a good example to us all.

We must learn to pet the porcupine.  

It is much better for us all to make friends than enemies.

Good job ComSec.

Prophet

imported post

expvideo wrote:

And why is it that one of the other first questions asked is "is that a real gun", as if I'd be walking around with a toy gun strapped to my hip. What kind of answer are they really expecting? "No, it's a cell phone."
Next time Im asked that question that is going to be my response...i'll let you know how it works out.

Rey

imported post

I've only been OC'ing now for about two months. But not one question and not one comment.

I've been in business attire, t-shirt and jeans, casual. Target, Wal-mart, Dick's Sporting Goods, numerous restaurants.

I don't know if it's just cuz this is NOVA or what. But no one even seems curious. It's kinda nice. Just another day.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ComSec wrote:

Nate
Your grammar didn't bother me too much as your stories made perfect sense, although your spelling really does suxor. Laff. :p Good ambassadorship, ComSec!

I obviously can't speak for every situation, but I think that one of the reasons for the "is that a real gun" question is as opposed to, and because of the proliferation of, airsofts. And many places the CC or OC of airsofts for anyone is perfectly legal and I see people carry them around sometimes. Anyway, that's my guess. (And I can see their concern if it were an airsoft as I have talked to at least 2 airsoft vendors who were very reminisent of Karl from Caddyshack -- citizens are probably relieved when they find out it is a real gun.)

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
People ask "stupid" questions because they are unlearned. If they were truly anti they would run for help.

ComSec did a great job in each instance of answering their question and calming their fears.

He is a good example to us all.

We must learn to pet the porcupine.

It is much better for us all to make friends than enemies.

Good job ComSec.
I have to agree with Sa45auto. When people ask if you have a permit or if the gun is real they are requesting information. It is an opening line. If you are not a diver and someone walked into your business or was in line in front of you in a store carrying a scuba tank how would you ask them about it. You know stuff like "is that a scuba tank" could be oxygen or helium you know. Or maybe "why are you carrying that around with you". Or how about this one "what do you use it for". Dumb as these questions are they are still ice breakers and serve to start a conversation. Even though theyreveal your experience with scuba. ComSec exercised patience and did agood job explaining oc.

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
ComSec wrote:

Nate
Your grammar didn't bother me too much as your stories made perfect sense, although your spelling really does suxor. Laff. :p Good ambassadorship, ComSec!

I obviously can't speak for every situation, but I think that one of the reasons for the "is that a real gun" question is as opposed to, and because of the proliferation of, airsofts. And many places the CC or OC of airsofts for anyone is perfectly legal and I see people carry them around sometimes. Anyway, that's my guess. (And I can see their concern if it were an airsoft as I have talked to at least 2 airsoft vendors who were very reminisent of Karl from Caddyshack -- citizens are probably relieved when they find out it is a real gun.)
My God... I didn't realize people actually did that. Instead of shooting burglars, I think we should be shooting people who carry airsoft pistols in public to put them out of their misery. :shock:

Sleepless

imported post

Prophet wrote:
expvideo wrote:

And why is it that one of the other first questions asked is "is that a real gun", as if I'd be walking around with a toy gun strapped to my hip. What kind of answer are they really expecting? "No, it's a cell phone."
Next time Im asked that question that is going to be my response...i'll let you know how it works out.
I love being a smart ass so I would look at the guy and say; if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck then what is it?? =oP

And then watch him trying to understand which might take a while but it would be funny as hell. =o)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

expvideo wrote:
And why is it that one of the other first questions asked is "is that a real gun", as if I'd be walking around with a toy gun strapped to my hip. What kind of answer are they really expecting? "No, it's a cell phone." Just let them sit there thinking to themselves as if they wereSherlock Holmes,"wait... no it's not!" I think that facial expression might be worth it.
:uhoh: What, you don't have an gPhone from Nokia?

Attachments

• iGlock.jpg
    iGlock.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 375

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There is even a pic of a guy on the web using one that is often miscaptioned.

Attachments

• redneck_pics_hearingprotect.jpg
    redneck_pics_hearingprotect.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 369

Aran

Banned
imported post

That went a lot better than my first bad Walmart experience.

Manager: Are you a cop?
Me: No, why?
Manager: Do you have a license for that gun?
Me: No, it's not required in Pennsylvania if it's openly carried.
Manager: Oh. Okay then. *runs*

Ten minutes later, two state troopers come in, disarm me, and take me out to their squad car to run my info. In 10* weather. And make me stand out in the cold, with no jacket. For an hour. (My bad choice in not wearing one that night, but I figured walking from the Jeep to the store and back into the Jeep wouldn't kill me)

Flintlock

imported post

Aran wrote:
Ten minutes later, two state troopers come in, disarm me, and take me out to their squad car to run my info. In 10* weather. And make me stand out in the cold, with no jacket. For an hour. (My bad choice in not wearing one that night, but I figured walking from the Jeep to the store and back into the Jeep wouldn't kill me)

Please tell me some type of complaint process or legal action was taken over that nonsense... What state was that in?

Why were you detained without cause? Were you charged with anything?

Aran

Banned
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Aran wrote:

Please tell me some type of complaint process or legal action was taken over that nonsense... What state was that in?

Why were you detained without cause? Were you charged with anything?

Of course I complained. I was brushed off. I can't afford a lawyer so there was no legal action taken. It was right here in Indiana, PA.

I was detained without cause because... well, I guess just because they could. I wasn't charged, they just walked me to my Jeep and told me to lock it up before they'd let me go back and finish my shopping (Which I was planning on finishing with taking my already-full cart up to customer service and telling them exactly why I was leaving it there and that they could re-shelve everything themselves, but my fiancee finished the shopping and was waiting just inside the outer door when they finished with me.)

I'm guessing you haven't heard about my second encounter at that WalMart when I was just printing and was put in cuffs and held in a manager's office while the trooper ran my info? The outcome on that was the same- http://www.songofthewinds.com/PSPResponse.jpg

Flintlock

imported post

Actually, I wasn't aware of the other incident but thanks for sharing the letter. I thought the police in PA treated the citizens better than that... Cuffed without being arrested and detained without being charged,detained in the cold for an hour against your will... Taking an hour to run your gun and your name...

I sympathize.. Just unbelievable.