Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCing to pick up my CPL?

Post imported post

In advance, I say that I understand that carrying, whether concealed or not, is a serious subject. That said, I had this moderately ironic thought:

I purchased my first pistol about a week ago, right around the same time that I went to apply for my concealed carry permit. I live in Seattle, so I have to wait 30 days (until 5/19) to pick up the permit.

Would it be too much to go to pick up the CPL while OCing?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Hahah! I love it! Aren't they mailing the permit to you? If you have to pick it up in person I would OC.

The funny thing is state laws says "issue WITHIN 30 days" yet some places like Seattle and Oly take that as waiting the full 30 days to issue... morons.

Post imported post

Once again, people living in Seattle can take a short ferry ride to Kitsap county and get same day issued permits from the sheriff over here. Way better than waiting for 30 days.

Post imported post

See, I want to see someone not show up to "pick it up after 30 days", as it is on the PD to issue it to you, e.g. mail it to you if you haven't received it before then. Then, contact the state AG about how such and such PD is violating state law by not issuing CPL's in accordance with the RCW.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

When I got my permit in Oly it took about two and a half weeks. My dad got his even quicker, five days. It still makes me mad that some places do wait so long to issue them though.

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    Once again, people living in Seattle can take a short ferry ride to Kitsap county and get same day issued permits from the sheriff over here. Way better than waiting for 30 days.
    Washington residents must apply at the sheriff's office of the county in which they reside, or the police department of the city in which they reside. Non-residents may apply wherever.

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    Not quite, G27. You're in Kitsap County, Seattle is King County.

(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or

(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.
    -RCW 9.41.070
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

phew good thing i live in kittitas county now, said i should be getting mine in 1 week (got finger printed today)

Post imported post

I received mine in 6 days.

Pretty amazing since I was figuring 3-4 weeks.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    Not unless they are non-residents!

One is required to apply in their county of residence.

Post imported post

OC in to pick it up, as soon as you have the permit in your hands, pull your shirt/jacket over your gun and CC out...

Post imported post

Bellevue issues exactly 7 days from application

Post imported post

ScottyT wrote:
    OC in to pick it up, as soon as you have the permit in your hands, pull your shirt/jacket over your gun and CC out...
    +1

.....and make sure you point out that it's kind of a ridiculous law in the first place. Try to go in when it is busy so others will see you OC and you can engage in a conversation about OC and hand out pamphlets. Oh, and make sure you leave a few pamphlets piled up right next to the applications.

Opt-Out Members
    Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA

Post imported post

I'm not exactly sure of the law, but make sure it is legal to carry in the station. I know you can't in jails, but i don't recall if that carries over to the station itself. Great idea though!

Post imported post

ScottyT wrote:
    Why?

Post imported post

carhark wrote:
    I'm not exactly sure of the law, but make sure it is legal to carry in the station. I know you can't in jails, but i don't recall if that carries over to the station itself. Great idea though!
    As long as he stays in the public areas of the police department it is completely legal. The law prohibits carrying in the controlled non-public areas of a police department unless you get written permission from the chief or sheriff.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

make sure you point out that it's kind of a ridiculous law in the first place.
    Yes, I saw your smiley, but this is still a bit of a non-sequitur since the police don't write the laws...

Post imported post

I applied in Federal Way and I got mine within 5 days. My friend got his in 3. Best part is, I picked up my pistol a few hours before my CPL came in the mail. So right when I checked the mail box, I had the biggest grin!

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    ScottyT wrote:
    Why?
    I was thinking the same thing. Why not just continue to OC?
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

carhark wrote:
    When I went to apply for mine, I went to the King County Sheriff's Office Precinct in Maple Valley. They had a sign posted at the enterence to the "restricted" part of the precinct that says no firearms beyond this point. And you have to go beyond that point to get finger printed. So, I would've been unable to OC even if I had wanted to. Took me just over 30 days to get mine. I figured it would happen. It was right around Christmas/New Years, plus I live in Arizona.

Post imported post

I had to wait 30 days in Hoquiam grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Post imported post

I think mine came in the mail on the 28th day after applying for it.

Post imported post

ATCer wrote:
    carhark wrote:
    When I went to apply for mine, I went to the King County Sheriff's Office Precinct in Maple Valley. They had a sign posted at the enterence to the "restricted" part of the precinct that says no firearms beyond this point. And you have to go beyond that point to get finger printed. So, I would've been unable to OC even if I had wanted to. Took me just over 30 days to get mine. I figured it would happen. It was right around Christmas/New Years, plus I live in Arizona.
    The jail is suppose to be the only restricted area, so they would be violating the law, which isn't surprising, most cop houses do it.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    ATCer wrote:
    carhark wrote:
    The jail is suppose to be the only restricted area, so they would be violating the law, which isn't surprising, most cop houses do it.
    Not only that, they're required by RCW 9.41.300 to provide a lockbox and key or designated representative to keep your firearm safe while you're in the restricted area. They are also liable for any loss or damage while it's in their care. I suggest bringing a camera and taking a picture of both sides, top and bottom of the gun/holster at the station in case they do damage it and claim it was like that when they received it.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

I do know of lock boxes that are just outside of the jail/holding cell area. There is one key for it, and you remove it from the lock after you place your gun in it. Only problem is it is within the area that says no firearms or something to that effect. The deputies use it to store their guns/weapons while in the "jail" area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast