• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing to pick up my CPL?

Roy Hobbs

imported post

In advance, I say that I understand that carrying, whether concealed or not, is a serious subject. That said, I had this moderately ironic thought:

I purchased my first pistol about a week ago, right around the same time that I went to apply for my concealed carry permit. I live in Seattle, so I have to wait 30 days (until 5/19) to pick up the permit.

Would it be too much to go to pick up the CPL while OCing?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Hahah! I love it! Aren't they mailing the permit to you? If you have to pick it up in person I would OC.

The funny thing is state laws says "issue WITHIN 30 days" yet some places like Seattle and Oly take that as waiting the full 30 days to issue... morons.

G27

imported post

Once again, people living in Seattle can take a short ferry ride to Kitsap county and get same day issued permits from the sheriff over here. Way better than waiting for 30 days. :)

just_a_car

imported post

See, I want to see someone not show up to "pick it up after 30 days", as it is on the PD to issue it to you, e.g. mail it to you if you haven't received it before then. Then, contact the state AG about how such and such PD is violating state law by not issuing CPL's in accordance with the RCW.

steelcoreap

imported post

When I got my permit in Oly it took about two and a half weeks. My dad got his even quicker, five days. It still makes me mad that some places do wait so long to issue them though.

carhas0

imported post

G27 wrote:
Once again, people living in Seattle can take a short ferry ride to Kitsap county and get same day issued permits from the sheriff over here. Way better than waiting for 30 days. :)

Washington residents must apply at the sheriff's office of the county in which they reside, or the police department of the city in which they reside. Non-residents may apply wherever.

just_a_car

imported post

G27 wrote:
Not quite, G27. You're in Kitsap County, Seattle is King County.

(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or

(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.
-RCW 9.41.070

Izzle

imported post

phew good thing i live in kittitas county now, said i should be getting mine in 1 week (got finger printed today)

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

G27 wrote:

Not unless they are non-residents!

One is required to apply in their county of residence.

surfj9009

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
OC in to pick it up, as soon as you have the permit in your hands, pull your shirt/jacket over your gun and CC out...
+1

.....and make sure you point out that it's kind of a ridiculous law in the first place. Try to go in when it is busy so others will see you OC and you can engage in a conversation about OC and hand out pamphlets. Oh, and make sure you leave a few pamphlets piled up right next to the applications.:lol:

joeroket

imported post

carhark wrote:
I'm not exactly sure of the law, but make sure it is legal to carry in the station. I know you can't in jails, but i don't recall if that carries over to the station itself. Great idea though!
As long as he stays in the public areas of the police department it is completely legal. The law prohibits carrying in the controlled non-public areas of a police department unless you get written permission from the chief or sheriff.

krazichinaman

imported post

I applied in Federal Way and I got mine within 5 days. My friend got his in 3. Best part is, I picked up my pistol a few hours before my CPL came in the mail. So right when I checked the mail box, I had the biggest grin! :lol:

ATCer

imported post

carhark wrote:
I'm not exactly sure of the law, but make sure it is legal to carry in the station. I know you can't in jails, but i don't recall if that carries over to the station itself. Great idea though!
When I went to apply for mine, I went to the King County Sheriff's Office Precinct in Maple Valley. They had a sign posted at the enterence to the "restricted" part of the precinct that says no firearms beyond this point. And you have to go beyond that point to get finger printed. So, I would've been unable to OC even if I had wanted to. Took me just over 30 days to get mine. I figured it would happen. It was right around Christmas/New Years, plus I live in Arizona.