• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing to pick up my CPL?

Bear 45/70

imported post

ATCer wrote:
carhark wrote:
I'm not exactly sure of the law, but make sure it is legal to carry in the station. I know you can't in jails, but i don't recall if that carries over to the station itself. Great idea though!
When I went to apply for mine, I went to the King County Sheriff's Office Precinct in Maple Valley. They had a sign posted at the enterence to the "restricted" part of the precinct that says no firearms beyond this point. And you have to go beyond that point to get finger printed. So, I would've been unable to OC even if I had wanted to. Took me just over 30 days to get mine. I figured it would happen. It was right around Christmas/New Years, plus I live in Arizona.
The jail is suppose to be the only restricted area, so they would be violating the law, which isn't surprising, most cop houses do it.

just_a_car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
ATCer wrote:
carhark wrote:
I'm not exactly sure of the law, but make sure it is legal to carry in the station. I know you can't in jails, but i don't recall if that carries over to the station itself. Great idea though!
When I went to apply for mine, I went to the King County Sheriff's Office Precinct in Maple Valley. They had a sign posted at the enterence to the "restricted" part of the precinct that says no firearms beyond this point. And you have to go beyond that point to get finger printed. So, I would've been unable to OC even if I had wanted to. Took me just over 30 days to get mine. I figured it would happen. It was right around Christmas/New Years, plus I live in Arizona.
The jail is suppose to be the only restricted area, so they would be violating the law, which isn't surprising, most cop houses do it.
Not only that, they're required by RCW 9.41.300 to provide a lockbox and key or designated representative to keep your firearm safe while you're in the restricted area. They are also liable for any loss or damage while it's in their care. I suggest bringing a camera and taking a picture of both sides, top and bottom of the gun/holster at the station in case they do damage it and claim it was like that when they received it.

ATCer

imported post

I do know of lock boxes that are just outside of the jail/holding cell area. There is one key for it, and you remove it from the lock after you place your gun in it. Only problem is it is within the area that says no firearms or something to that effect. The deputies use it to store their guns/weapons while in the "jail" area.

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
ATCer wrote:
carhark wrote:
Read it again Bear.

9.41.300 1(a) States;

(a) The restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (i) arrested for, charged with, or convicted of an offense, (ii) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (iii) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.32A or 13.34 RCW. Restricted access areas do not include common areas of egress or ingress open to the general public;

surfj9009

imported post

See, in Spokane when you go to apply you have to go into the courthouse to records to apply for it. When you go into the restriced area you have to use the lock box. No problem I suppose. When I went in last time I was CC'ing and I told them I needed to use the lockbox. The guy said they needed my CPL and he would give me a key for the box, and I could get my CPL after I returned the key.

Kind of strange huh? I would think they would want a drivers license instead. i wonder what they would say if I walked up OC'ing and when they asked for my CPL, I looked at them and said, "what cpl?" I open carry.

Agent 47

imported post

surfj9009 wrote:
See, in Spokane when you go to apply you have to go into the courthouse to records to apply for it. When you go into the restriced area you have to use the lock box. No problem I suppose. When I went in last time I was CC'ing and I told them I needed to use the lockbox. The guy said they needed my CPL and he would give me a key for the box, and I could get my CPL after I returned the key.

Kind of strange huh? I would think they would want a drivers license instead. i wonder what they would say if I walked up OC'ing and when they asked for my CPL, I looked at them and said, "what cpl?" I open carry.
That would be interesting to try.

heresolong

imported post

surfj9009 wrote:

They use your driver's license in Whatcom County. It is so they get the key back. I wonder about the legality of concealing your weapon without a CPL on your person as you walk from the desk to the lockbox. :) Sorry officer, I don't have my CPL on me as I just handed it to that guy over there. Officer:"Assume the position".

ATCer

imported post

heresolong wrote:
surfj9009 wrote: They use your driver's license in Whatcom County. It is so they get the key back. I wonder about the legality of concealing your weapon without a CPL on your person as you walk from the desk to the lockbox. :) Sorry officer, I don't have my CPL on me as I just handed it to that guy over there. Officer:"Assume the position".
Interesting... good point.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Hahah! I love it! Aren't they mailing the permit to you? If you have to pick it up in person I would OC.

The funny thing is state laws says "issue WITHIN 30 days" yet some places like Seattle and Oly take that as waiting the full 30 days to issue... morons.
It seems I have done OPD a small disservice. I had a ride along today for a couple of hours with OPD (more on that in a couple of days) and met Sgt. Wojtech as part of the process.

He told me that the woman who handles CPL's does not deliberately delay the permits, and is a hard and honest worker. I apologize for lumping her in the "moron" class, which was an undeserved insult.

Based on my own experiences though, Seattle does (or did at the time) deliberately wait a full 30 days to issue a CPL though.

OPD does not.

joeroket

imported post

I'm curious to see the turn around Sno County has now that Lovick is Sheriff. I know with Bart it took three days. I swear they mailed it as soon as I left the office.

quentusrex

imported post

I don't know if you have picked up your CPL yet, but there is a hitch if you want to OC to pick it up. You can't have the loaded gun while in your car. So either take public transit, or use the trunk...

Also, is anyone interested in finding out if Seattle police station has the no firearms sign? and if so how do they deal with the 'storage' of the firearms? I'm all for helping to educate the LEO's if there turns out to be an actual issue.

Gene Beasley

imported post

quentusrex wrote:
Also, is anyone interested in finding out if Seattle police station has the no firearms sign? and if so how do they deal with the 'storage' of the firearms? I'm all for helping to educate the LEO's if there turns out to be an actual issue.
I'm at Boeing Field tonight, get off at 0600. It's about a 5-minute drive to the South Precinct. Just happen to have the new little camera with me :). If there's a sign, I'll stop in and ask. The lobby should be no issue, but I'll see what's up when I get there.

quentusrex

imported post

Awesome. It's nice to see another night owl on the forums.

I look forward to hearing about how it goes. I'll try to stop by the downtown Seattle PD in the morning.

Gene Beasley

imported post

Just noticed that I was posting in the OCing to pick up my CPL thread. These are done only at the Seattle Justice Center downtown. I suspect you will find the same security measures in place that you would find at the King County Courthouse. I can still do the precinct, but it won't really be applicable to the topic.
The Seattle Justice Center contains both the Seattle Police Headquarters and the Seattle Municipal Court.

Roy Hobbs

imported post

When I went to put in my application, there is a clear "waiting room" area that appears to allow OC, but there is an officer blocking access to the back office area. I didn't pay enough attention to what signs were posted where.

At any rate, as I am really new to all of this, I would not feel confident doing so. I'd probably be able to mouth the words, but would most likely be too nervous to be of much value.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Here in Utah, my wife and I, had to go and update our permits ("privileges"). I Oced thru the whole thing at BCI (Bureau of Criminal Identification). So you can OC to get our CFP here in Utah:celebrate.

So go to the CFP class in the morning and right after just go to BCI and do the rest. OCing ALL THE WAY. Gotta love Utah:celebrate

TJ