Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 102

Thread: Guns in Banks

  1. #1
    Regular Member Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    So i was in my bank today making a withdrawal...new month means new bills to pay and I am OC'ing like i've done the other 50 some odd times i've been there.

    Well...today while i am making my withdrawal a gentleman comes up to me and says:

    "excuse me sir, you are not allowed to have that firearm in here"

    To which i asked if that was bank policy or law. He replies:

    "We are a federally backed institution and therefore we are a federal building" ergo its federal law.

    I asked him how I should go about protecting myself when i withdraw large amounts of money...this is the kicker because he replies:

    "Just like every other customer who comes in here"

    So basically he wants me back to the herdwith all the othergood lil sheeple.The funniest part is that this bank was robbed about 2 months ago. It wasn't in the news butI know it was because I came to make a depositthe same day and the police were there and the bank was closed.

    He started walking away and I asked him who he was, hegave mehis card and he turns out to be the Chief OperationsOfficerfor the bank. That was a surprise.Ifigured if I am in the wrong than I won't carry there anymore but if I'm not than I plan on writing a letter to the COO and telling himthat he mispoke and that I plan on continuing to carry while in his bankunlesshe would like me to take my business elsewhere.

    So any citation about whether carrying in a bank is illegal?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    800

    Post imported post

    Banks are federally insured, not federally owned. They are privately/publicly owned businesses. They could ask you to leave (if that is company policy), but unless it is posted keep on keepin' on. I carry into my credit union weekly and noboday has ever said anything.

    Please correct me if I am mistaken.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    143

    Post imported post

    He's definitely wrong. 18 USC 930 defines a federal facility as:

    "...a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

    Simply being a "federally backed" institution (what did he even mean by that? FDIC insured?) doesn't cut it. Unless the building is owned or leased by the feds and federal employees work there, it is completely legal to carry a firearm there.

    EDIT: I too carry into my bank on occasion and so far nobody has even seemed surprised by it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    I assumed when he said federally backed him meant FDIC. Thanks for the law...it will go nicely in my letter.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western PA, ,
    Posts
    116

    Post imported post

    If I may ask, what is the name of the bank?

  6. #6
    Regular Member Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    Iron and Glass

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    Good God what an idgit.

    He must assume that you went to gov't school and are therefore incapable of researching the law. As everyone else said, no, not a federal building, or federal property or anything else federal besides the bank's insurance policy protecting it's depositers and the bank's gov't oversight, assuming it is a national bank and not a state bank.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    That answered whether a bank is a federal building (it is not).

    I just searched the Pennsylvania code (http://www.pacode.com/secure/search.asp) for every combination of "firearm" and "bank" I could think of, and found no state law prohibiting carry of a firearm in a bank. You would be wise to check for yourself, though; I'm not a lawyer, a Pennsylvania resident, or an expert on firearms laws.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    80

    Post imported post

    This the bank on E. Carson Street?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    It's not illegal.

    And the only places "off-limits" in Pennsylvania by law are courthouses.

    ETA: Aside from Federal property, which banks are not.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    If it WERE a "federal" building, you wouldn't be allowed to carry there!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    Prophet wrote:
    So i was in my bank today making a withdrawal...new month means new bills to pay and I am OC'ing like i've done the other 50 some odd times i've been there.

    Well...today while i am making my withdrawal a gentleman comes up to me and says:

    "excuse me sir, you are not allowed to have that firearm in here"

    To which i asked if that was bank policy or law. He replies:

    "We are a federally backed institution and therefore we are a federal building" ergo its federal law.

    I asked him how I should go about protecting myself when i withdraw large amounts of money...this is the kicker because he replies:

    "Just like every other customer who comes in here"

    So basically he wants me back to the herdwith all the othergood lil sheeple.The funniest part is that this bank was robbed about 2 months ago. It wasn't in the news butI know it was because I came to make a depositthe same day and the police were there and the bank was closed.

    He started walking away and I asked him who he was, hegave mehis card and he turns out to be the Chief OperationsOfficerfor the bank. That was a surprise.Ifigured if I am in the wrong than I won't carry there anymore but if I'm not than I plan on writing a letter to the COO and telling himthat he mispoke and that I plan on continuing to carry while in his bankunlesshe would like me to take my business elsewhere.

    So any citation about whether carrying in a bank is illegal?
    I OC at Wells Fargo, Chase and America 1st. NO PROBLEMO.

    Did I say...HE IS WRONG !!!!!

    TJ

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    495

    Post imported post

    Prophet wrote:
    So i was in my bank today making a withdrawal...new month means new bills to pay and I am OC'ing like i've done the other 50 some odd times i've been there.

    Well...today while i am making my withdrawal a gentleman comes up to me and says:

    "excuse me sir, you are not allowed to have that firearm in here"

    To which i asked if that was bank policy or law. He replies:

    "We are a federally backed institution and therefore we are a federal building" ergo its federal law.

    I asked him how I should go about protecting myself when i withdraw large amounts of money...this is the kicker because he replies:

    "Just like every other customer who comes in here"

    So basically he wants me back to the herdwith all the othergood lil sheeple.The funniest part is that this bank was robbed about 2 months ago. It wasn't in the news butI know it was because I came to make a depositthe same day and the police were there and the bank was closed.

    He started walking away and I asked him who he was, hegave mehis card and he turns out to be the Chief OperationsOfficerfor the bank. That was a surprise.Ifigured if I am in the wrong than I won't carry there anymore but if I'm not than I plan on writing a letter to the COO and telling himthat he mispoke and that I plan on continuing to carry while in his bankunlesshe would like me to take my business elsewhere.

    So any citation about whether carrying in a bank is illegal?
    You are very very lucky. Hell, you could have been OCing outside (50 or so yards) the bank and been on the business end of a LEO's glock. :P

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    danbus wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    So i was in my bank today making a withdrawal...new month means new bills to pay and I am OC'ing like i've done the other 50 some odd times i've been there.

    Well...today while i am making my withdrawal a gentleman comes up to me and says:

    "excuse me sir, you are not allowed to have that firearm in here"

    To which i asked if that was bank policy or law. He replies:

    "We are a federally backed institution and therefore we are a federal building" ergo its federal law.

    I asked him how I should go about protecting myself when i withdraw large amounts of money...this is the kicker because he replies:

    "Just like every other customer who comes in here"

    So basically he wants me back to the herdwith all the othergood lil sheeple.The funniest part is that this bank was robbed about 2 months ago. It wasn't in the news butI know it was because I came to make a depositthe same day and the police were there and the bank was closed.

    He started walking away and I asked him who he was, hegave mehis card and he turns out to be the Chief OperationsOfficerfor the bank. That was a surprise.Ifigured if I am in the wrong than I won't carry there anymore but if I'm not than I plan on writing a letter to the COO and telling himthat he mispoke and that I plan on continuing to carry while in his bankunlesshe would like me to take my business elsewhere.

    So any citation about whether carrying in a bank is illegal?
    You are very very lucky. Hell, you could have been OCing outside (50 or so yards) the bank and been on the business end of a LEO's glock. :P
    Danbus, you are HILARIOUS:celebrate

    TJ

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    205

    Post imported post

    Prophet wrote:
    So i was in my bank today making a withdrawal...new month means new bills to pay and I am OC'ing like i've done the other 50 some odd times i've been there.

    Well...today while i am making my withdrawal a gentleman comes up to me and says:

    "excuse me sir, you are not allowed to have that firearm in here"

    To which i asked if that was bank policy or law. He replies:

    "We are a federally backed institution and therefore we are a federal building" ergo its federal law.

    I asked him how I should go about protecting myself when i withdraw large amounts of money...this is the kicker because he replies:

    "Just like every other customer who comes in here"

    So basically he wants me back to the herdwith all the othergood lil sheeple.The funniest part is that this bank was robbed about 2 months ago. It wasn't in the news butI know it was because I came to make a depositthe same day and the police were there and the bank was closed.

    He started walking away and I asked him who he was, hegave mehis card and he turns out to be the Chief OperationsOfficerfor the bank. That was a surprise.Ifigured if I am in the wrong than I won't carry there anymore but if I'm not than I plan on writing a letter to the COO and telling himthat he mispoke and that I plan on continuing to carry while in his bankunlesshe would like me to take my business elsewhere.

    So any citation about whether carrying in a bank is illegal?
    Go back and close your account -- Take your money to a smaller bank that isn't run by idiots.

    I cleaned out my SunTrust business account last year and moved to a smaller bank. Aside from the smaller bank unconcerned about being robbed by "the customer" or causing a "dangerous situation",the customer service is much better.

    There is ONE thing I really miss with my big bank: I really miss the English or Spanish choices.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    FDIC does not extend a blanketof federal law coverage on a bank.

    The bank is private institution and it is going to be the bank's policy to disarm you.

    I can understand their fear.....

    And a bank robber is going to enter with his gun no matter what law there is or company policy posted or spoken. He is about to rob the place so what does he care!!?

    Having customers inside with guns may actually send him running bank out to hit some other place.

    But here is the issue that I think is more important.....

    You are there or walk in with a gun and you see a bank robbery going down. The bank robber just want the money as 99% do and does not intend to shoot anyone.

    You see him and you draw down on him. He draws down on you and you both fire at each other.

    Who is in the line of fire on both sides???

    The bank is insured and will get the money back so there is no loss there. But shooting up the bank or shooting customers and employees is not so easily repaired and will cost the bank.

    Since anyone can openly carry in many states.... you have no idea if this guy can even shoot.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,487

    Post imported post

    That would have been my que to withdraw everything and take my money elsewhere.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279

    Post imported post

    He must assume that you went to gov't school

    According to him, this would make you a federal agent, correct?

  19. #19
    Regular Member Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    mf wrote:
    This the bank on E. Carson Street?
    Yep. I doubt the COO would be hanging out at the satellite branches. As for closing my account, I am first going to educate this poor misguided man and tell him, since he misquoted a federal law and did not say it was against bank policy I fully intend to continue to carry while on business within his bank. If he then objects to that, then I will take my business elsewhere.

    As for your point LEO229, it makes perfect sense. Of course if i saw it going down on my way into the bank I wouldn't go in all guns a blazing, i would stop myself from entering (line of sight is pretty good in the bank when you get to the doors) turn around and call the cops and see how their response time is. But what if i am inside the bank and some guy wants to rob it, gets irritated because a teller is taking to long and starts shooting up the place? I doubt the 70 year old unarmed security guard is gonna have much to say about it. Of course we can play the what if game all day but, like the vast majority here, I would like toretain the option of protecting myself.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    Superlite27 wrote:
    He must assume that you went to gov't school

    According to him, this would make you a federal agent, correct?
    Ahahahha Hilarious!

    LEO229, noone is debating the bank's right to prohibit carry or the reasons they may do so. We are laughing at the COO making a federal property claim because of FDIC and simply stating our desire to do business with businesses that recognize our right to carry. I do a lot of business with a lot of banks for my business. Most are not posted. A few are. Because my business relies on their business, I do not refuse to work with them because of it. However, my operating accounts and personal banking is all done at banks that do not prohibit firearms.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    deepdiver wrote:
    Superlite27 wrote:
    He must assume that you went to gov't school

    According to him, this would make you a federal agent, correct?
    Ahahahha Hilarious!

    LEO229, noone is debating the bank's right to prohibit carry or the reasons they may do so. We are laughing at the COO making a federal property claim because of FDIC and simply stating our desire to do business with businesses that recognize our right to carry. I do a lot of business with a lot of banks for my business. Most are not posted. A few are. Because my business relies on their business, I do not refuse to work with them because of it. However, my operating accounts and personal banking is all done at banks that do not prohibit firearms.
    I was not speaking abouttheir right to prohibit you to go in armed.

    I wanted to addressed a valid reason a privately owned bank may not want armed customers there.

    I know that when I go to the bank and have cash.... I want to be armed.

    If you want my cash.... cash thatwas oncebacked by gold until the federal reserve took over....you could get my cash thatis backed with lead. :P

    Obviously relinquishing lead would require some type of deadly force to be necessary and not just because I am getting robbed.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:

    If you want my cash.... cash thatwas oncebacked by gold until the federal reserve took over....you could get my cash thatis backed with lead. :P

    Holy cow - we sure are getting to you eh? Reading your posts is like peeling back layers of an onion. Makes you want to cry but you love the result, lol. I know your only stating the obvious, just giving you a hard time.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    bohdi wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    If you want my cash.... cash thatwas oncebacked by gold until the federal reserve took over....you could get my cash thatis backed with lead. :P
    Holy cow - we sure are getting to you eh? Reading your posts is like peeling back layers of an onion. Makes you want to cry but you love the result, lol. I know your only stating the obvious, just giving you a hard time.
    Now you're killing me!!!

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    LEO229, I'm going to start using a variation of that quote: "My cash might not be backed by gold, but it sure as hell is backed by lead."


    Did you get that from somewhere or come up with it yourself?

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    LEO229, I'm going to start using a variation of that quote: "My cash might not be backed by gold, but it sure as hell is backed by lead."


    Did you get that from somewhere or come up with it yourself?
    I do not come up with Fancy and Witty sayings all the time.... like some members here... but when I do they are good!!! :P

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •