• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns in Banks

LEO 229

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
He must assume that you went to gov't school

According to him, this would make you a federal agent, correct?
Ahahahha :lol: Hilarious!

LEO229, noone is debating the bank's right to prohibit carry or the reasons they may do so. We are laughing at the COO making a federal property claim because of FDIC and simply stating our desire to do business with businesses that recognize our right to carry. I do a lot of business with a lot of banks for my business. Most are not posted. A few are. Because my business relies on their business, I do not refuse to work with them because of it. However, my operating accounts and personal banking is all done at banks that do not prohibit firearms.

I was not speaking abouttheir right to prohibit you to go in armed.

I wanted to addressed a valid reason a privately owned bank may not want armed customers there. ;)

I know that when I go to the bank and have cash.... I want to be armed.

If you want my cash.... cash thatwas oncebacked by gold until the federal reserve took over....you could get my cash thatis backed with lead. :p

Obviously relinquishing lead would require some type of deadly force to be necessary and not just because I am getting robbed. ;)

bohdi

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
If you want my cash.... cash thatwas oncebacked by gold until the federal reserve took over....you could get my cash thatis backed with lead. :p
Holy cow - we sure are getting to you eh? Reading your posts is like peeling back layers of an onion. Makes you want to cry but you love the result, lol. I know your only stating the obvious, just giving you a hard time. :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

bohdi wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Holy cow - we sure are getting to you eh? Reading your posts is like peeling back layers of an onion. Makes you want to cry but you love the result, lol. I know your only stating the obvious, just giving you a hard time. :lol:
Now you're killing me!!! :lol:

imperialism2024

imported post

LEO229, I'm going to start using a variation of that quote: "My cash might not be backed by gold, but it sure as hell is backed by lead."

Did you get that from somewhere or come up with it yourself? :)

LEO 229

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
LEO229, I'm going to start using a variation of that quote: "My cash might not be backed by gold, but it sure as hell is backed by lead."

Did you get that from somewhere or come up with it yourself? :)
I do not come up with Fancy and Witty sayings all the time.... like some members here... but when I do they are good!!! :p

Prophet

imported post

So I got a letter in the mail yesterday. It reads as follows:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXX,

We are writing regarding our discussion this afternoon concerning your wearing of a firearm into the Carson Street location of Iron and Glass Bank.

While we are aware, the de-facto law of Pennsylvania clearly permits the carrying of an unconcealed firearm, the law also permits both private citizens and businesses the right to prohibit the carrying of weapons, of any type, on their premises.

Therefore, we must demand that you not carry weapons of any nature, onto the premises of any Iron and Glass Bank location. Failure to comply with this request will result in the immediate closure of all existing accounts; in addition, no additional account relationship will be permitted with Iron and Glass Bank.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Iron and Glass Bank

Joseph J. Plichta

Vice President

1114 East Carson Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203-1187 412-488-5200
Where do I begin? First, they are aware of the de-facto law of Pennsylvania? Thats a bunch of hooey, this guy was trying to tell me that it was a federal felony for me to have a gun in the bank. He must of did some research and found out he was a pompous ass so he changes his story and now its bank policy.

I think i'm also a little pissed at the way he thinks that I don't know the law regarding private businesses refusing to allow guns in their establishment. I specifically asked him last week if he was talking about bank policy to which he said no, but rather federal law.

Finally I a little put off because he "demands" that i refrain from carrying weapons. where did this guy learn his customer service, the third reich human resource department. Insist would have been a much better word.

Anyways, I am going to write a letter and then empty out my account and find a bank that does not want to set me up to be a victim. I would ask anyone who has an account and anyone who doesnt but has a few minutes to write a letter or make a call about their policy and voice outrage at it. A famous bank robber was once asked why he robbed banks to which he replied "thats where the money is". I will be disarmed by some PC banker when the threat of attack is heightened by the very nature of the place I am going.

Oh yeah, for those of you who do have an account with this bank, I'm not suggesting that you should follow my lead per se...but do you really want to support a place like this?

LEO 229

imported post

Prophet wrote:
So I got a letter in the mail yesterday. It reads as follows:
....Snipped....
Where do I begin? First, they are aware of the de-facto law of Pennsylvania? Thats a bunch of hooey, this guy was trying to tell me that it was a federal felony for me to have a gun in the bank. He must of did some research and found out he was a pompous ass so he changes his story and now its bank policy.

I think i'm also a little pissed at the way he thinks that I don't know the law regarding private businesses refusing to allow guns in their establishment. I specifically asked him last week if he was talking about bank policy to which he said no, but rather federal law.

Finally I a little put off because he "demands" that i refrain from carrying weapons. where did this guy learn his customer service, the third Reich human resource department. Insist would have been a much better word.

Anyways, I am going to write a letter and then empty out my account and find a bank that does not want to set me up to be a victim. I would ask anyone who has an account and anyone who doesnt but has a few minutes to write a letter or make a call about their policy and voice outrage at it. A famous bank robber was once asked why he robbed banks to which he replied "thats where the money is". I will be disarmed by some PC banker when the threat of attack is heightened by the very nature of the place I am going.

Oh yeah, for those of you who do have an account with this bank, I'm not suggesting that you should follow my lead per se...but do you really want to support a place like this?
You pushed and he pushed back. I have to say that he Zinged you good!!!

I would begin changing over my account to another location and then close it at his bank.

Insist... Demand... Require... it is just a word. He can make the letter strong or soft... it is his choice. I would not go associating him with theThird Reich. That is a bit much. He is just getting you good and can demand you not do it anymore.

He wins... you lose! And the longer you keep your account there... the longer he wins. ;)

Butlerite

imported post

Prophet,

I just sent an e-mail to Dollar Bank to see what their policy is. I will post here when I receive a response.

Steve

Prophet

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

You pushed and he pushed back. I have to say that he Zinged you good!!!

I would begin changing over my account to another location and then close it at his bank.

Insist... Demand... Require... it is just a word. He can make the letter strong or soft... it is his choice. I would not go associating him with theThird Reich. That is a bit much. He is just getting you good and can demand you not do it anymore.

He wins... you lose! And the longer you keep your account there... the longer he wins. ;)

Im not saying that he doesnt have the right to do whatever the hell he wants in his bank, im just saying that I am surprised someone would use such inciteful language in doing it. I mean, hasn't he read Carnegies "How to Win friends and influence people". His use of wording has taken me from merely accepting the banks position to accepting it and being bitter about it. I assume he has family connections and was placed in that position rather than having earned it because his antagonizing tone (reminiscent of a 1938 SS officerquestioning a germanjew by asking "vere are yur papers?)

And as for your assumption of me losing...i havent lost anything...I still have my money and my gun and until they pry it out of my cold dead hands, my freedom.

LEO 229

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Im not saying that he doesnt have the right to do whatever the hell he wants in his bank, im just saying that I am surprised someone would use such inciteful language in doing it. I mean, hasn't he read Carnegies "How to Win friends and influence people". His use of wording has taken me from merely accepting the banks position to accepting it and being bitter about it. I assume he has family connections and was placed in that position rather than having earned it because his antagonizing tone (reminiscent of a 1938 SS officerquestioning a germanjew by asking "vere are yur papers?)

And as for your assumption of me losing...i havent lost anything...I still have my money and my gun and until they pry it out of my cold dead hands, my freedom.

Sorry but it is not an assumption...It is a clear observation.He exercised his rights against you and he has won. :p

Sure... you have your money and your gun. But he has taken action and went so far as to send a letter setting it in stone that you are not allowed to return with a firearm.

He has not asked you for any "papers" and his tone could simply be one where he is not happy you proved he was wrong about the bank being federal property. So it would seem thathe is not really interested in making friends with you. ;)

No matter....youknow where each of you stand. You flexed with your knowledge... and he flexed with his rights... now you want to flex your rights to close the account. :lol:

In the end... you move along now.... nothing to see here in the bank... :celebrate

Farmer Troy

imported post

First of all, I am sorry to hear the outcome of your plight with Iron & Glass bank.

Secondly, I wonder if other banks have similar policies already in place.

Let us know what Dollar Bank says? I also wonder if it varies from branch to branch.

That is why I have always concealed my weapon in the bank . . . maybe it's better to "don't ask, don't tell," when it comes to carrying weapons in the bank.

I can almost see their point . . . usually when guns are present in a bank, it is for devious reasons (robbery).

I wish I could've seen that this would be a victory for open carry, but I feel that it is a loss when a bank puts it in writing like that.

Sorry, Troy

psmartin

imported post

Farmer Troy wrote:
First of all, I am sorry to hear the outcome of your plight with Iron & Glass bank.

Secondly, I wonder if other banks have similar policies already in place.

Let us know what Dollar Bank says? I also wonder if it varies from branch to branch.

That is why I have always concealed my weapon in the bank . . . maybe it's better to "don't ask, don't tell," when it comes to carrying weapons in the bank.

I can almost see their point . . . usually when guns are present in a bank, it is for devious reasons (robbery).

I wish I could've seen that this would be a victory for open carry, but I feel that it is a loss when a bank puts it in writing like that.

Sorry, Troy

Here's an original thought:

Go to the bank with your cache of deposits and ask to see someone about opening an account... If they pitch a fit, you leave with your deposit!

People's Bank of Richmond had ABSOLUTELY ZERO problems with my carry habits.

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Prophet, just FYI... I bank with National City here in Pittsburgh and have been in three of their branches while OC'ing and have never had a confrontation...

They also have some nice account deals. You might want to check them out.

To the person writing to Dollar Bank: That is a good way to get told "no" up front. If we want OC to be accepted as "normal" then we shouldn't be asking "permission" to do it, which is what you are doing by asking the bank to state it's policy on such.

drkarrow

imported post

There is another good old American tradition called protesting. Loosing one customer, they don't care about. But bad publicity they will care about.

It would be interesting and fun to get some good signs, like ones where you point out to criminals that all customers are unarmed and unable to defend themselves. (but be careful to not be encouraging a crime, that could probably get you arrested) Then staple them to a stick, and do some good old fashioned protesting.

Another good sign would be something along the lines of, "this bank does not support my 2nd amendment rights, so I'm exercising my 1st amendment rights (by protesting).

If I were anywhere near you I'd be there to protest right along with you.

swillden

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Anyways, I am going to write a letter and then empty out my account and find a bank that does not want to set me up to be a victim.
I'd modify that a little. I'd include in the letter a request that the COO close your account and issue you a cashier's check with the contents. I'd also CC the CEO. They're probably buddies, but who knows? Maybe they're already at each others' throats and the CEO can use the letter to convince the board to can the COO. I'd play up how rude he was, etc. Very professionally and politely, of course.

It would probably be wise to get a new account set up first, especially if you get your paycheck via direct deposit.

Butlerite

imported post

lildobe wrote:
Prophet, just FYI... I bank with National City here in Pittsburgh and have been in three of their branches while OC'ing and have never had a confrontation...

They also have some nice account deals. You might want to check them out.

To the person writing to Dollar Bank: That is a good way to get told "no" up front. If we want OC to be accepted as "normal" then we shouldn't be asking "permission" to do it, which is what you are doing by asking the bank to state it's policy on such.
I disagree, but that is OK.

Thundar

imported post

I would immediately make arrangements to bank elsewhere.

I would transfer almost all of my $ elsewhere and then go into the bank with a large flap holster(no gun inside).

If the bank closed the account I would complain to the state and federal regulators. There is certainly lots of room to play with the creeps if you want.

ScottyT

imported post

I regularly carry in my credit union (at least 2-3 times per month) and I have never been harrassed for it or even questioned, though many employees have noticed it. They also have excellent personal service.

I would recommend Mountain America to anyone in Utah!