• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scope help!

ScottyT

imported post

Help! I think I am going to scope my Mosin Nagant M91/30 and I wanted some opinions about what power I should get. I have not had a lot of rifle/optics experience and I have no idea what power scopes I should be looking at.

I would like to be able to shoot out to about 300 yards, but mostly 100-200 yards. I have been considering joining my friends on the deer hunt this year using my M91/30, so I want it to be good to go for that, in addition to coyote hunting and target shooting.

I found a weaver mount that replaces the rear sights, so the scope will be forward of the bolt.

Thanks for your help!

FogRider

imported post

Go with a variable if you can afford to. Leopould is best in my opinion, I have a Vari-X III 3.5-10x40mm on my Ruger M77. It's nice to crank it up to 10x at the range, but be able to dial it down if I am looking at a close range shot at a deer.

Legba

imported post

If you could tell me moreabout this Weaver mount to replace the sights, I'd be grateful. I have the same situation with a modified Mauser.

As for the Mosin, the original authentic Soviet sniper scopes were only 3.5x power (PU 3.5 designation). That's relativelypuny, and they aren't cheap for all that (as much as an additional $250 for an original), but if you want authenticity, you can get them. Vassili Zaitsev shot 300-odd Germans with that setup, so it should be sufficient for your needs. I'd get a cheaper modern equivalent though. I don't think it's worth sinking a thousand bucks into a high-end Leupold scope unless you're an actual sniper and/or need to reliably hit targets at rather longer ranges. Sorry, but I don't have a specific brand recommendation beyond that.

-ljp

ScottyT

imported post

Here is one link to the mount I found, they are all over the web:
http://www.combathunting.com/MOSIN_NAGANT-Mosin_Nagant_M39_M44_M91_30_Short_Scope_Mount.html

There are longer ones than the one above, as well.

I am kind of on a budget, less than $100 for sure, $50-$70 is ideal. I realize that really limits my options, but I am ok with that. I am not worried about the authenticity of my $90 surplus gun, if I was, I would have bought a $600+ sniper variant to begin with.

ScottyT

imported post

It looks like I need an Eye Relief of 7-10 inches, which could complicate the shopping a bit... Should I just look for a good pistol scope or something?

FogRider

imported post

OK, Leopould is probably out of your price range then. Tasco gets a bad rap, but I have had good luck with them. You might try checking a gun show or two. And I would still try and find a variable if you can.