• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

does OC in WA have a WA residency requirement (CC does)

Cannellure

imported post

Ilive in OR, work in WA. Have hadmy Oregon CHLfor 8 years.

Going to work means leaving my "hammer" at home, or in the car Not concealed.

I realize I cannot CC in WA without a permit but can I OC in WA?

Do I need to be a Washington resident to legally open carry in Washington?

CC27

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
No residency requirement.

Just get a Washington CPL from Clark County Sheriffs.
That is exactly what I was going to suggest. I know that there isno reciprocity and recognition between Washington and Oregon as far as CC But I don't think your right to OC ends at state lines.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

CC27 wrote:
That is exactly what I was going to suggest. I know that there is know reciprocity and recognition between Washington and Oregon as far as CC But I don't think your right to OC ends at state lines.
As I understood it, neither Washington nor Oregon will honor the other's CC permit. You'll have to get a permit from each state. Has this changed? and where is the documentation?

Cannellure

imported post

Yes, I could get a concealed for WA to CC in WA and OC inWA. but I ask,

Do you have to have a WA CHL to OC in WA?

Without having a WA CHL,do you have to be a resident of WA to OC?"

CC27

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
CC27 wrote:
That is exactly what I was going to suggest. I know that there is know reciprocity and recognition between Washington and Oregon as far as CC But I don't think your right to OC ends at state lines.
As I understood it, neither Washington nor Oregon will honor the other's CC permit. You'll have to get a permit from each state. Has this changed? and where is the documentation?
That is what I'm saying (no reciprocity and recognition between Washington and Oregon). As far as I know this has not changed.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Cannellure wrote:
Yes, I could get a concealed for WA to CC in WA and OC inWA. but I ask,

Do you have to have a WA CHL to OC in WA?

Without having a WA CHL,do you have to be a resident of WA to OC?"
No, to both questions.

Mainsail

imported post

Cannellure wrote:
Remember, if your pistol is carried openly on your belt and you get into your car, you are now carrying concealed, and will need the license to do so legally.

Phssthpok

imported post

I think the most direct way to answer the various permutations of your question is to say that:

" Washington sees no functional difference between residents, and non-residents when applying it's open carry laws. "

If it's legal for a resident to do (while OC) then it's legal for a NON-resident to do likewise. Conversely, if it's illegal for a resident (say...having a LOADED gun in a car sans CPL) it is likewise illegal for a non-resident.

The only funtional difference between a resident and a non-resident CPL is which LE department you go to obtain it.

kparker

imported post

Not at all, but you do need to be a CPL holder to have a loaded handgun in your car, and WA permits are easy for non-residents to get, so go ahead and get your WA CPL just so you can be legal when you drive. Unless you always walk over the bridge to get here, that is... :)

Ajetpilot

imported post

Now, let's take a look at the reciprocal of the question. Can a Washington resident OC without a CC permit in Oregon? After looking at the information returned when clicking on the Oregon map on the front page of OCDO, it appears that some places you can, and some places you can't. Is this still correct?
Open Car Carry
Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, an Oregon concealed handgun permit holder is exempt from all local open carry bans. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Now, let's take a look at the reciprocal of the question. Can a Washington resident OC without a CC permit in Oregon? After looking at the information returned when clicking on the Oregon map on the front page of OCDO, it appears that some places you can, and some places you can't. Is this still correct?
Open Car Carry
Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, an Oregon concealed handgun permit holder is exempt from all local open carry bans. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places.
And that's why Oregon's preemption law sucks major league. To many frickin' loop holes.

Phssthpok

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Open Car Carry

See my post HERE

Is it legal? Absolutely!

Is it worthwhile? Nope....but I do it anyway since the apparent intent is to make it pointless, so I won't bother to carry a gun unless I'm permitted. I'll be damned if I let them manipulate my rights like that!

Bear 45/70

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Open Car Carry
I was told Bend should also be on your list.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thats the reason Oregons law sucks. How is one supposed to know what the law is in every city in the state. Preemption should be just that... complete and total preemption so the law is clear.

I open carried in at leastfour cities today plus unincorpated SnoCo. Thank god I only had to worry about washington law and not every jurisdiction I passed thru, It could be a nightmare!

Bear 45/70

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
Thats the reason Oregons law sucks. How is one supposed to know what the law is in every city in the state. Preemption should be just that... complete and total preemption so the law is clear.

I open carried in at leastfour cities today plus unincorpated SnoCo. Thank god I only had to worry about washington law and not every jurisdiction I passed thru, It could be a nightmare!
It is a nightmare. When the wife and I go to eastern Oregon to quad ride we always carry. So we go up the Gorge on the Washington side to Hood River cross into Oregon and go up Hwy 35 to Hwy 26 to miss the Portland mess. A Oregon State Trooper told me about Bend the last time I was in Oregon last year. How can they call it preemption if it has exceptions? Oh yeah and on top of that you can't carry, OC or CC on Quads, offroad motorcycles (not street legal)and snowmobiles either. How stupid is that?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Bend has no ordinance against loaded carry generally. They do have a parks ban, but CHL exempts you from that ban.

The quad/offroad rule is a civil citation, not a criminal offense. Personally I would carry anyway as it's not a criminal offense.

Though not functionally the same, there are also exemptions to preemption in Washington, too, in regards to convention centers and sports stadiums operated by cities.

Oregon, besides the "loaded firearms in public places" bans that pepper the northwest area of the state, has outside of Utah, the strongest preemption statutes on guns in general. Would you like to file a challenge against ORS 166.173 and get it taken down under Oregon's constitution?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Bend has no ordinance against loaded carry generally. They do have a parks ban, but CHL exempts you from that ban.

The quad/offroad rule is a civil citation, not a criminal offense. Personally I would carry anyway as it's not a criminal offense.

Though not functionally the same, there are also exemptions to preemption in Washington, too, in regards to convention centers and sports stadiums operated by cities.

Oregon, besides the "loaded firearms in public places" bans that pepper the northwest area of the state, has outside of Utah, the strongest preemption statutes on guns in general. Would you like to file a challenge against ORS 166.173 and get it taken down under Oregon's constitution?

I always carry on my quad when in Oregon. Never had an officer who was aware of the law that I ever ran across while riding. Including the Morrow County OHV Park that has a deputy that lives there during the summer. I use a quad mounted holster.

P7210003.jpg