• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TX - Homeowner chases and shoots burglar

Rey

imported post

Reported by: Demond Fernandez
Email: DemondFernandez@woai.com
Last Update: 4/29 4:16 pm

Neighbors of a homeowner who shot and killed a man he caught sneaking into his house are speaking out about the shooting and crime in their area.

The shooting happened around 2 a.m. in the 5800 block of Midcrown, just off of Eisenhauer Road on the Northeast Eide. Police said it was the burglar's strange noises that woke the homeowner and his family.

The homeowner and his family were the victims of two break-ins overnight. The homeowner told police he was protecting his family when he grabbed a gun to shoot a man breaking into his house.

"He said that he heard some noises coming from the kitchen area. He came out of the bedroom, saw the suspect standing in the kitchen, and said he was going through some things by his computer, and that he told him to freeze," explained San Antonio Police Department Spokesman Gabe Trevino.

The homeowner told investigators the burglar then started running.

Police said the homeowner fired several shots as the intruder was running through the kitchen and out this back door. They said the homeowner chased the man to the side of the house where he fired several more shots.

The noise woke-up several neighbors along Midcrown.

"I heard about 4 shots, I thought," said neighbor Maggie McFadden. "And then there was a pause. And then I heard about two more shots."

One of those bullets hit the burglar in the back and killed him according to police.
They said the homeowner believes it's the same man who broke into his home hours earlier to steal money.

"You never know, if they didn't catch him, whose house they'll go in next, you know" McFadden told News 4.

Neighbors like McFadden say break-ins are increasing in the area. She said she feared it was only a matter of time before someone got hurt.

"With all the killings and the muggings and stuff nowadays, you never know what's going to happen to you," McFadden said.

As of right now police say they are not filing criminal charges on the homeowner because Texas law allows you to defend your property during a burglary.

The medical examiner is now working to identify the suspect.

link: http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=58883561-fbe2-4846-8a39-cdc1591b3e7e&rss=68

And here's a news video of the Police Spokesman saying that Texas law gives you the right to defend your property, plus some other statements made by the locals:

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=86813

I miss Texas.....

LEO 229

imported post

It appears that even in a state where you are allowed tokill a man for entering our house... the criminals do not care.

protector84

imported post

It seems to me that it isn't so much that the criminals "don't care" but that they are too stupid. If they used their head to begin with they either wouldn't be committing crimes or they would be smart criminals and would get away with their crimes. An example of a smart criminal might be someone who has been casing a particular house for weeks taking notes of when the occupants enter and leave the house, whether or not they have an alarm system they set, pets that would make noise, how observant the neighbors are, etc. Such criminal would probably bring a mover truck and fill it up with goods in broad daylight and in some type of uniform to make it look normal and get away with it.

Apparently, it seems like a lot of criminals are just plain stupid so I guess you could say "survival of the fittest." Fora criminal to break into someone's house not knowing whether or not the occupants are armed and ready if they are there at all, and not knowing anything about the layout or goodies in the house, they are clearly a dumb criminal and if it turns out there is one less in society, then certainly the better.

One time I was walking to my dorm late at night at the university and I only had a can of pepperspray and a pocket knife on me when a criminal threatened me with a knife. He demanded money and said "I'll cut you up bitch." This criminal pulled the knife when he was at a distance of 50-75 feet away from me. Last time I checked it is pretty hard to stab someone from that distance. Not to mention I was standing next to one of the emergency police phones at a distance of 5 feet so I simply pushed the button and the man took off running.

This is why I consistently remind friends, family, and others to be aware of their surroundings. They are more likely to run into a dumb criminal than a smart one and if they are simply alert and ready, the criminal will likely either go after someone else or if not, they know how to deal with the criminal when he attacks.

randont

imported post

The guy was on drugs I bet. No one goes back to the same house 2 hours later if they're in their right mind.