• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

goin to CA

b1ack5mith

imported post

hey guys, dad has a dentist appointment in CA, so should i bring the pistol? (i know no hi-cap mags, but since my gun isnt registered, will i get introuble in CA? i know its LEGAL here in UT, but is it different in CA?)

Decoligny

imported post

If you are not a California resident, and are only visiting, then you are not required to register your firearm in California. About the only thing you have to watch out for other than the obvious "no large capacity magazines" would be if you have a revolver like the Taurus Judge that takes both pistol ammuntion and shotgun shells. This type of firearm is considered a short-barrelled shotgun and is illegal per CA PC 12020.

rocknsnow

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
hey guys, dad has a dentist appointment in CA, so should i bring the pistol? (i know no hi-cap mags, but since my gun isnt registered, will i get introuble in CA? i know its LEGAL here in UT, but is it different in CA?)
I think you are crazy. I honestly would be to afraid to OC down there.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:

I will NEVER go to Commifornia, UNLESS they get better on their gun laws. Which is til HELL freezes over.

TJ

Decoligny

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
Review the pamphlet and then actually read the Penal Code for yourself, so that you fully understand the requirements.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/8457.html

swillden

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
Read the CA pamphlet, but off the top of my head, here are a few other things to be careful of when OC'ing:
  • Gun must be completely unloaded -- not Utah-unloaded.
  • Magazines must also be OC'd. A loaded magazine in your pocket is considered a concealed firearm.
  • Do not carry within 1000 feet of a school. Better make sure you know where the schools are because it's a felony.
  • Be prepared to be hassled, maybe even (unlawfully) arrested, even if you're following all the rules. CA is not UT.
I studied up on this for my last trip to CA and decided to take my gun, but kept it unloaded, locked up and out of reach except when in my hotel room. I was on a business trip and couldn't afford getting detained by the police, however wrongly, and obviously couldn't conceal.

utahglock

imported post

as a former californian, i would suggest that you DO NOT open carry, you will get the cops called on you, and you will get arrested, the people will tell the police they saw you waving your gun at folks, although you may not have, and the gangs..... thats another story... watch out for the surenos and nortenos, they may make a move on ya to get your gun from ya. knowing that it is unloaded, no rounds in the mag.