• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police fail - humor

LEO 229

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Are we maybe getting sideways on a hand on the gun, gun drawn at the LEO's side, low ready and actually aimed at the citizen distinction? I'm posing that as a question as I am not sure that is the case, however, it seems to me that may be part of the issue.

While LEO229 and I don't always see eye to eye, I also respect him and don't think he is someone to recklessly or arrogantly subrogate citizen's rights without actual justified concern of personal safety.
No cop want to shoot another person. But he sure does want the upper hand if a gun fight is started.

The bad guy knows what he is going to do and can plan his attack. The LEO will have to react to it.

This comes down to fractions of a second and having your gun out shaves off that time and give the LEO the edge to shoot first.

I still have not seen anyone post what they feel is an appropriate time to draw.

Damn!! I wish I had a shoot/don't shoot machine to put these hard heads on. Then they would see why the gun needs to be out early. :lol:

imperialism2024

imported post

thnycav wrote:
I think the Monday morning quarterbacks should have to go though the shot no shot simulators and see how hard it is to be able to make a decision under pressure. At least with the simulators the worst thing that can happen is a bruised ego, not like the real thing where a life can be held in the balance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem#Ad_hominem_circumstantial

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Are we maybe getting sideways on a hand on the gun, gun drawn at the LEO's side, low ready and actually aimed at the citizen distinction? I'm posing that as a question as I am not sure that is the case, however, it seems to me that may be part of the issue.

While LEO229 and I don't always see eye to eye, I also respect him and don't think he is someone to recklessly or arrogantly subrogate citizen's rights without actual justified concern of personal safety.
No cop want to shoot another person. But he sure does want the upper hand if a gun fight is started.

The bad guy knows what he is going to do and can plan his attack. The LEO will have to react to it.

This comes down to fractions of a second and having your gun out shaves off that time and give the LEO the edge to shoot first.

I still have not seen anyone post what they feel is an appropriate time to draw.

Damn!! I wish I had a shoot/don't shoot machine to put these hard heads on. Then they would see why the gun needs to be out early. :lol:
:uhoh: Um, ok. I don't generally disagree with what you said here, but I do not understand why you quoted me to post it. I'm not seeing how your comments here are a response to my post that you quoted. Color me confused ....

LEO 229

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

:uhoh: Um, ok. I don't generally disagree with what you said here, but I do not understand why you quoted me to post it. I'm not seeing how your comments here are a response to my post that you quoted. Color me confused ....
This was in relation to the last part of what you said. ;)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

This was in relation to the last part of what you said. ;)
Ah, gotcha. :) I was trying to make it fit with the entirety of my comments. Confusion resolved.

LEO 229

imported post

swillden wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
No cop wants to shoot another person.
Be careful with broad generalizations. They're always false.
No cop I have ever met said "I want to kill someone" So I am going with what I know.

In any case... you know what I am saying. So stop nitpicking.

Thundar

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
LEO 229, I think you need to back up and understand the limitations that society places upon you.

Your original statement about pointing a firearm at citizens was beyond the pale. The practice you describe is legally and morally unjustified. Legally police are not above the brandishing law. You know this and try to refute that unpleasant (to you) factwith weak hypotheticals, an assertion that you can get away with it because magistrates won't issue warrants and accusations ofharming officer safety.Morally, when you assert that you, unlike a citizen, can endanger citizens to enhance your own safety, you advocate a cowardly, elitist and selfish practice.

I think that you need to read the brandishing code again. An act such as placing your hand on your firearm is not brandishing. A police officer drawing his firearm is not IMHObrandishing. Pointing a firearm at the head of a victim absent a clear threat is IMHO brandishing.

Go ahead and point the gun at grandma's head. When she has a heart attack or when you have a negligent discharge that is just the way the cookie crumbles. After all you can easily articulate a possible threat. It would go something like this:

"Well judge old ladies often knit. She has long hair and might have been concealing a knitting needle in her hair.I am sorry she had aheart attack, but I point guns at peoples heads to enhance my own safety. I am a police officer after all."

That is a lot different than a clear threat such as:

"She left the bar in a belligerent manner. When I told her to stop she said you'll be sorry copper and reached into her purse. I drew my firearm and ordered her to drop the purse. I am sorry she had a heart attack but the threat was clear and I reacted to it."

You sir... need to read the code again.:banghead:

You would be arrested for brandishing if you hold the grip of your gun in your holster or even more so when draw it and it was not justified. :X

This is not a "moral" issue at all. It is about what the police are permitted to do in the course of their duties. It is notsomething you do casually. There is going to be a good reason for drawing down on a suspect.

But you.... simply cannot fathom the idea that this is allowed.

You want to use the 'ol"give grandma a heart attack" or"accidental discharge" to prove why it should not happen.

If grandma is a threat and croaks at the sight of a gun... so be it.Does this happen to everyone. No! I do not know that this has EVER happened.

Accidental discharges do not always happen either.On very rare occasions it has happened. But that is the price of doing business. You can be as safe as possible but to be truly safe.. you must not have a gun at all.

Out of the 900,000 cops if only 1% drew there gun daily and pointed it at a suspect you have 9,000 cops each day. How many ADs did we have today?

OK... out of the first 130 days of the year we would have had 270,000 cops draw their guns so far this year.... how many ADs did we have so far this year?

Please count the number and let me know. I would love to see how you can justify not pointing a gun because a AD could happen.

You may not like the idea of a cop pointing his gun in the direction of someone who "may" be a danger... but you have that luxury...you can sit back behind your computer and say how bad it is. But I think you also carry a gun around in public.

Why??!!! People are not dangerous now are they. The police do not need to point guns and have the upper hand and you do not need to go out armed.:lol:

I really do not feel like discussing this with you any further since you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. :uhoh:

LEO I have read the code and I do understand what it means. Putting your hand on the grip of your weapon or removing the weapon from the holster is not probable cause for arrest. That act alone clearly does not meet all of the elements of § 18.2-282.

You speak about what police are allowed to do, but the code clearly does apply to police.

My criticism has only been about pointing guns at people.

You asked me to clarify what I meant and I did with the two grandma examples.

It is IMHO immoral to point your gun at someone who is not a clear threat. It is cowardly, selfish and elitist.

If you really think that I am making this up and do not know what I am talking about read the 2006 edition of The Virginia Gun Owners Guide, Chapter 5 pages 114 to 121. Page 121 is specifically about pointing a firearm. I guess the authors of the guide,Alan Korwin and Steve Maniscalco don't know what they are talking about either.

In this thread, like many others, your posts lack any intellectual rigor. This site is about the open carry of firearms which is a very serious topic. Most here respect law enforcement andits role in society. I am among them. Most people here strive to understand the law as it relates to firearms. Disagreeing with your unfounded assertions is not tantamount to being anti law enforcement, just anti ignorance.

LEO 229

imported post

Thundar wrote:
LEO I have read the code and I do understand what it means. Putting your hand on the grip of your weapon or removing the weapon from the holster is not probable cause for arrest. That act alone clearly does not meet all of the elements of § 18.2-282.
....Snipped
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to point, hold or brandish any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not, in such manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another or hold a firearm or any air or gas operated weapon in a public place in such a manner as to reasonably induce fear in the mind of another of being shot or injured.

I really do not feel like discussing this with you any further since you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. :uhoh: