• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in public building

Godscreation

imported post

There is an amazing story in the Idaho forum about a man who was confronted about OCing in his library. 1hr 45min, five officers, two friends and a senator later, he was released and the police dep. is having an emergency meeting about carrying in public buildings.

What about in NC? We do have some preemption, but it is not as good as Idaho. :cuss: Would it be strong enough here in NC to show the folks the Constitution, the preemption status and argue that way like this Idaho fellow did, or will we need another supreame court case to be able to carry in a library in NC?

I know legally and constitutionally the answer is yes, but realistically, what do you folks think?

acritical

imported post

I think the question that must be answered first is: Are County Public Libraries a government entity or a public entity.

I know the libraries are open to the public and take public donations, but so are city parks.

I also know that the libraries, at least in Wake County, are primarily county funded and regulated by the county. So, that would tell me that with the current statutes of not carrying in government buildings, which the library is also a "safe house", wouldn't that immediately make the library off limits?

Love the term "safe house", what better way to advertise that there are no firearms on the premises. Then again, how often have you heard of a library getting robbed. Then again, not all criminals are trying to rob you. Am I going off in a tangent? I'd better stop....

:)

Brian D.

imported post

In Ohio, libraries love to play both sides of the fence. When licensed concealed carry was initiated here, libraries jumped on the "We're a government entity" bandwagon. They got the 'No Guns" signage up so quickly,I wondered how they could possibly claim to be perennially understaffed as they do..

When it comes to certain revenue disclosure, personnelissues, etc, however, their tune quickly changes. It's probably the same game where most of us live.

Also, fwiw, they again set speed records putting up "No smoking" signs within a day of that statewide law going into effect. Because, you know,we'd all grown so tired of dealing with hazy, smoke-filled public libraries over, say, the last 50 years! :quirky