• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Angola approves citizen disarmament program

Flintlock

imported post

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805010038.html

Angola: Government Approves Citizens Disarmament Programme

30 April 2008
Posted to the web 1 May 2008

Luanda

Government approves action programme on disarmament of citizens in illegal possession of firearms

The Angolan Government passed Wednesday here an Action Programme on Disarmament of the population in possession of illegal firearms, part of democracy and peace consolidation programme, as well as the strengthening of constitutional guarantees and rights. According to a communiqué released on Wednesday by the Executive, it is the responsibility of the State organs to guarantee the security and protection of citizens and their belongings.

The source refers that the Government decision is in line with the interests and expectations of all who demand order, wellbeing and tranquillity in their leisure and working time.

Thus, the application of measures contained in the programme must count on the support and participation of every living force of the country.

The Government underlines that the illegal possession of firearms by citizens represents a stimulus to violence and weakens the current efforts of guaranteeing collective security and tranquillity.

"The existence of firearms in illegal possession of civilians has a negative impact on the ongoing national reconciliation and reconstruction process and may affect normal human, economic, social and cultural development of the country," reads the note.

If in the past such weapons constituted to many the unique way of defence of their belongings and the lives of their relatives, above all for those who were direct victims of war, now they do not have any reason to exist in the era of peace reached more than six years ago.

The Angolan Government considers that, apart from the cessation of hostilities, the consolidation of peace requires a salutary coexistence, in order to pacify the spirits and to fully disarm the society.

The press release adds that for this reason the Government will develop every effort so that this programme reach desired results and launches a vehement appeal to the civil society, churches, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), associations and the population in general, stimulating voluntary handing over of firearms in possession of whoever it is, in order to contribute to national security and stability.

Thus, the Government is aware that the Angolan population will once again shows proofs of its maturity and good sense, by collaborating with the authorities and handing over the weapons in its possession.

imperialism2024

imported post

Hmm... an government... in Africa... asking its people to disarm...

I think I've seen this before.

They could at least use a more original excuse. Like that it's to stop the terrorists, or to protect the kids from drugs, or something along those lines. Just more proof that the world doesn't listen to George W. Bush...

Huck

imported post

Thus, the Government is aware that the Angolan population will once again shows proofs of its maturity and good sense, by collaborating with the authorities and handing over the weapons in its possession

And therefore making the population into the helpless sheeple that the government wants. :cuss:

Flintlock

imported post

Thundar wrote:
I hope the good people of Angolaknow how to use a shovel.
Machetes work too...

But they shouldn't be giving back their guns anyway, so hopefullythiswon't be an issue.

danbus

imported post

Disclaimer: *The following is off topic and bad taste in humor*

When I first started carrying, I had a friend's friend come down from New Jersey to visit. We went out to eat at IHOP and were discussing carrying a firearm for self defense. He had no problems with someone carrying for self defense. But of course, he lived in a CUSA (communist united state of america). He devised a improvised way of self defense against a robbery. He stated that if one is being robbed, have a pocket full of sand.

I was curious and perplexed at the idea of having a handful of sand in ones pocket for defense of robbery.

He logically stated that once the BG demands the items, one would reach into his/her pocket and immediately throw the sand in the BG's face. Once the attacker is incapacitated, you could run away or fight back. He also included a funny punch line. When you throw the sand you shout "pocket sand!". I guess it's an intimidating factor.

We all know the real logical pros/cons to having such a "method", but living in New Jersey calls for less than lethal defense.

How does this relate to Africa and the topic?

There is sand. Alot of sand.

POCKET SAND!