Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a new sub-compact

Post imported post

So, as I have mentioned I am moving from an OC state to a CC only state. Concealability is now an issue for me .

Here are the four sub-compact's I've come up with so far. Please let me know if I am missing any other sub-compact's in the $600 and under rage (must be at least .380)

Taurus pt111

Glock 26

Springfield XD subcompact 3"

Kel-Tech pf9

Tell me what your thoughts are of the above four (and the one's I'm sure I missed) It is greatly appreciated.

Post imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
    So, as I have mentioned I am moving from an OC state to a CC only state. Concealability is now an issue for me .

Here are the four sub-compact's I've come up with so far. Please let me know if I am missing any other sub-compact's in the $600 and under rage (must be at least .380)

Taurus pt111

Glock 26

Springfield XD subcompact 3"

Kel-Tech pf9

Tell me what your thoughts are of the above four (and the one's I'm sure I missed) It is greatly appreciated.

I'd go with the XD out those choices. No Q asked.

Personally I'd go with a 1911. Just cuz I like Grip Safety and Thumb Safety.

Just my.40

TJ

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    kmcdowel wrote:
    ""

Just my¬*.40

¬*

TJ
    +1

The XD has a grip safety, doesn't it?

State Researcher

Post imported post

the Walther PPS is another good option. She's available in 9mm now, and should be available in .40 cal soon. The key with the PPS is thickness, or rather, thinness. After a good amount of research, it is the next handgun I plan on purchasing (in .40). It will fill the gap between my full-sized .40, and my pocket .380.

If the price of the PPS is too much, the PF-9 is almost the same size for a much lower price. However, it is only available in 9mm, and I personally am not comfortable with the drop in quality compared to the Walther.

If neither of those are your cup of tea, you could also consider a compact 1911. I suggest those 3 because they are thin, single stack firearms. I personally just can't carry a double-stack firearm concealed comfortably.

Oh, and as far as safeties go, I'm actually becoming quite accustomed to not having ANY manual safeties (SW99 and P3AT). It was nerve racking at first, but I prefer it now. That's something to consider as well.

Post imported post

XD
    PT111 or 145
    S&W M&P compact
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Is that a Glock 24 in Smart Carry, or are you just happy to see me? :P

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

isaiah wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    kmcdowel wrote:
    ""

Just my.40

TJ
    +1

The XD has a grip safety, doesn't it?
    Yes it does.

TJ

Post imported post

CZ-RAMI in either 9mm or .40 S&W.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    the Walther PPS is another good option. She's available in 9mm now, and should be available in .40 cal soon. The key with the PPS is thickness, or rather, thinness. After a good amount of research, it is the next handgun I plan on purchasing (in .40). It will fill the gap between my full-sized .40, and my pocket .380.
    $665.00 is a little steep for me at this point.
    If the price of the PPS is too much, the PF-9 is almost the same size for a much lower price. However, it is only available in 9mm, and I personally am not comfortable with the drop in quality compared to the Walther.
    How is the quality (i.e., reliability) of this firearm when compared with the others mentioned here. I know almost nothing about it...

Post imported post

When I bought my first XD, the subcompact looked like a great carry weapon but having concerns about being able to accurately shoot it I chose the service (4" barrel) model.

Later, we bought an XD-40 SC for my wife and to my amazement it shoots quite nicely out to 15-25 yds. and the shorter grip is no problem to hang on to.

The XD SC series are not as small as some others, e.g. Kel-Tec but still quite concealable. Not one malfunction either, since new. It's a confidence-inspiring piece.

Post imported post

For Subcompact, I Love my G27 .40 nice size, great concealable and very dependable

State Researcher

Post imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    $665.00 is a little steep for me at this point.
    How is the quality (i.e., reliability) of this firearm when compared with the others mentioned here. I know almost nothing about it...

$665 is the MSRP, but it WILL be cheaper on the market. I've heard of them going for well under $600, which is the original price range you mentioned.

As far as quality, Kel-Tecs have always been known to be either great or horrible out of the box. Either they shoot flawless from day one, or they have critical failures early on that, once fixed by the factory, don't show up again. They do have a lifetime warranty on their guns, and they have no problem with fixing something that didn't come out right. Kel-Tecs also have a shorter "life span", as far as the number of rounds they're rated to endure, and they areconsidered more susceptible to damage caused by higher pressure ammunition.

Keep in mind I'm not saying a Kel-Tec would be a poor choice. I simply think there is a better choice in this case. I own a kel-tec P3AT that has never failed. I did put it through extensive testing before I started to carry it, though. I also don't plan on shooting it a lot at the range, since, like I said, they're not built to eat tens of thousands of rounds.

For my IWB compact handgun, I've chosen the PPS because Walther is very reputable, their fit and finish is outstanding, and I've ownedand known those who have owned many of their products that have never failed and have exceeded expectations. The PPS is also rated for +P ammunition.

Does that answer your questions?

Post imported post

Out of those I would go with the XD subcompact. My fingers don't fit on any subcompact grip even with pearce mag extensions. With the XD subbie you have the option of using the long mag for certain concealment situation or the 10rd shortie for deeper concealment. On the downside, even the sub is still a pretty fat pistol in width. But holster availability is pretty good. It shoots well. You can get it in 9/40/.357. You can buy a .40 and get a 9mm conversion barrel.

Out of the other choices, the Glock 26 is the only one I personally would not choose at all because of ergonomics. But if it fits your hand it's a good option.

And yes, all XDs have a grip (backstrap) safety and also will shoot +P
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Also check out the Bersa Ultra Compacts. Available in 9, 40 and 45. Don't have one myself yet (it's on the list) but those I know that own them speak highly of them!

Post imported post

M&P compact with 10 round clip.

I carry the full size concealed. *shrug*

Post imported post

xdfan wrote:
    When I bought my first XD, the subcompact looked like a great carry weapon but having concerns about being able to accurately shoot it I chose the service (4" barrel) model.

Later, we bought an XD-40 SC for my wife and to my amazement it shoots quite nicely out to 15-25 yds. and the shorter grip is no problem to hang on to.

The XD SC series are not as small as some others, e.g. Kel-Tec but still quite concealable. Not one malfunction either, since new. It's a confidence-inspiring piece.
    I was worried about accuracy too with the XD-9 SC. But it shoot almost as good as my .45 5inch.

Post imported post

XD9 has about as much kick as the 4" XD40, but just as accurate. I like mine, but yeah its a little fat being its dbl stack, but so are Glocks. However I bought my XD9 sub with ccw in mind. It was used and a bargain as far as MD prices go, otherwise I may have looked into the XD40 sub, however I heard it has more kick. And yes my XD9 sub ate all the +p's I tested with it, was using gold dot short barrel hp's. In fact it has had ZERO problems. I also like the peirce grip extension on the 10rd mags, even with my smaller female hands. My only concern is how I will conceal it! Well PA allows OC, soooo could just do that....LOL ( heck I could wear the 4" .40), PA is where I'd be carrying, VA if I ever get over my travel anxiety thing- also OC!

Post imported post

Didn't see anyone mention the Para-Ord Hawg & Carry lineups...

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_hawg.php
    http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_conceal.php

EG:

(Double Stack's)

Nite Hawg
    Product Code: NHX1045N
    Caliber: .45 ACP
    Capacity: 10+1
    Barrel: 3"

Hawg 9
    Product Code: WHX129R
    Caliber: 9mm
    Capacity: 12+1

(Single Stack's)

Carry
    Product Code: CWX645B
    Caliber: .45 ACP
    Capacity: 6+1

Carry 9
    Product Code: CWX79R
    Caliber: 9mm
    Capacity: 8+1

Decent Capacity in a small package...

Post imported post

XD SC in your favorite caliber with a comp-tac gurkha holster. works every time

I forgot to mention that I have the SC 9mm and the service .40, and I've had ZERO problems with both, other than a guy trying to shoot reloads which were seated too long

Post imported post

Post imported post

I like my S&W M&P .40c. Small, not too heavy, great grip, nothing to snag. I found it to be more accurate than an XDSC and with noticably less felt recoil/"jerk". Palm swells are changeable for hand size and the mags can/do have a finger extender for those of us with wide palms. 10 in the clip 1 in the pipe. Trigger is a little weird, but you get used to it. No safeties to fumble around with, which is what I want when I'm in danger and I need my gun right away.

I also like the HK USPc, but it's a bit pricey and longer than most carry weapons. It is one of the slimest though which some prefer over length as far as CC goes. Down fall is the price but who can put a price on safety? If that's your concern, look into a used one, it's pretty hard to screw up a HK, so used shouldn't be much of an issue.

Post imported post

Pointman wrote:
    The XD is (just) a copy of the Glock with extra, unnecessary parts thrown in. It is American, so that's a plus, but the rail catches dust & junk and can snag.
    I completely disagree. The XD doesn't look like a glock, feel like a glock, or smell like a glock (well, maybe a little). What unnecessary parts are you talking about?

I've had both of my XDs pretty dirty and have never ever seen any problem with the slide catching. My friend has and XD also and hasn't had any problems. Have you actually seen this?

Post imported post

Post imported post

I've never understood why people with other plastic bricks claim their brick is so far away from being like a glock brick. It's all brick, it all goes bang, they're offered in the same calibers, have similar mag capacities across the board, very similar model lineups, etc.

Post imported post

Pointman wrote:
    The 1913 accessory rail, not slide rail.

All the indicators, like loaded, cocked, safeties, etc.
    heh, sorry about that. I haven't used the rail, my mistake. Is this different from rails on other guns? I honestly don't know.

While I always check the chamber itself, I actually find the cocked and loaded indicators to be good features. They allow you to check by feel; great for low-light environments.

Have you shot both of these? They don't shoot the same at all. I can't stand glocks, they just don't sit right in my hand. That's just my opinion though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast