• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help me choose a new sub-compact

kmcdowel

imported post

So, as I have mentioned I am moving from an OC state to a CC only state. Concealability is now an issue for me :(.

Here are the four sub-compact's I've come up with so far. Please let me know if I am missing any other sub-compact's in the $600 and under rage (must be at least .380)

Taurus pt111

Glock 26

Springfield XD subcompact 3"

Kel-Tech pf9

Tell me what your thoughts are of the above four (and the one's I'm sure I missed) It is greatly appreciated.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
So, as I have mentioned I am moving from an OC state to a CC only state. Concealability is now an issue for me :(.

Here are the four sub-compact's I've come up with so far. Please let me know if I am missing any other sub-compact's in the $600 and under rage (must be at least .380)

Taurus pt111

Glock 26

Springfield XD subcompact 3"

Kel-Tech pf9

Tell me what your thoughts are of the above four (and the one's I'm sure I missed) It is greatly appreciated.

I'd go with the XD out those choices. No Q asked.

Personally I'd go with a 1911. Just cuz I like Grip Safety and Thumb Safety.

Just my.40

TJ

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

the Walther PPS is another good option. She's available in 9mm now, and should be available in .40 cal soon. The key with the PPS is thickness, or rather, thinness. After a good amount of research, it is the next handgun I plan on purchasing (in .40). It will fill the gap between my full-sized .40, and my pocket .380.

If the price of the PPS is too much, the PF-9 is almost the same size for a much lower price. However, it is only available in 9mm, and I personally am not comfortable with the drop in quality compared to the Walther.

If neither of those are your cup of tea, you could also consider a compact 1911. I suggest those 3 because they are thin, single stack firearms. I personally just can't carry a double-stack firearm concealed comfortably.

Oh, and as far as safeties go, I'm actually becoming quite accustomed to not having ANY manual safeties (SW99 and P3AT). It was nerve racking at first, but I prefer it now. That's something to consider as well.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Is that a Glock 24 in Smart Carry, or are you just happy to see me? :p

glock24.gif

kmcdowel

imported post

DreQo wrote:
the Walther PPS is another good option. She's available in 9mm now, and should be available in .40 cal soon. The key with the PPS is thickness, or rather, thinness. After a good amount of research, it is the next handgun I plan on purchasing (in .40). It will fill the gap between my full-sized .40, and my pocket .380.
$665.00 is a little steep for me at this point.
If the price of the PPS is too much, the PF-9 is almost the same size for a much lower price. However, it is only available in 9mm, and I personally am not comfortable with the drop in quality compared to the Walther.
How is the quality (i.e., reliability) of this firearm when compared with the others mentioned here. I know almost nothing about it...

xdfan

imported post

When I bought my first XD, the subcompact looked like a great carry weapon but having concerns about being able to accurately shoot it I chose the service (4" barrel) model.

Later, we bought an XD-40 SC for my wife and to my amazement it shoots quite nicely out to 15-25 yds. and the shorter grip is no problem to hang on to.

The XD SC series are not as small as some others, e.g. Kel-Tec but still quite concealable. Not one malfunction either, since new. It's a confidence-inspiring piece.

bradco

imported post

For Subcompact, I Love my G27 .40 nice size, great concealable and very dependable

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
DreQo wrote:
$665.00 is a little steep for me at this point.
How is the quality (i.e., reliability) of this firearm when compared with the others mentioned here. I know almost nothing about it...

$665 is the MSRP, but it WILL be cheaper on the market. I've heard of them going for well under $600, which is the original price range you mentioned.

As far as quality, Kel-Tecs have always been known to be either great or horrible out of the box. Either they shoot flawless from day one, or they have critical failures early on that, once fixed by the factory, don't show up again. They do have a lifetime warranty on their guns, and they have no problem with fixing something that didn't come out right. Kel-Tecs also have a shorter "life span", as far as the number of rounds they're rated to endure, and they areconsidered more susceptible to damage caused by higher pressure ammunition.

Keep in mind I'm not saying a Kel-Tec would be a poor choice. I simply think there is a better choice in this case. I own a kel-tec P3AT that has never failed. I did put it through extensive testing before I started to carry it, though. I also don't plan on shooting it a lot at the range, since, like I said, they're not built to eat tens of thousands of rounds.

For my IWB compact handgun, I've chosen the PPS because Walther is very reputable, their fit and finish is outstanding, and I've ownedand known those who have owned many of their products that have never failed and have exceeded expectations. The PPS is also rated for +P ammunition.

Does that answer your questions? :)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Out of those I would go with the XD subcompact. My fingers don't fit on any subcompact grip even with pearce mag extensions. With the XD subbie you have the option of using the long mag for certain concealment situation or the 10rd shortie for deeper concealment. On the downside, even the sub is still a pretty fat pistol in width. But holster availability is pretty good. It shoots well. You can get it in 9/40/.357. You can buy a .40 and get a 9mm conversion barrel.

Out of the other choices, the Glock 26 is the only one I personally would not choose at all because of ergonomics. But if it fits your hand it's a good option.

And yes, all XDs have a grip (backstrap) safety and also will shoot +P

zoom6zoom

imported post

Also check out the Bersa Ultra Compacts. Available in 9, 40 and 45. Don't have one myself yet (it's on the list) but those I know that own them speak highly of them!

iroc192

imported post

M&P compact with 10 round clip.

I carry the full size concealed. *shrug*

DrewGunner

imported post

xdfan wrote:
When I bought my first XD, the subcompact looked like a great carry weapon but having concerns about being able to accurately shoot it I chose the service (4" barrel) model.

Later, we bought an XD-40 SC for my wife and to my amazement it shoots quite nicely out to 15-25 yds. and the shorter grip is no problem to hang on to.

The XD SC series are not as small as some others, e.g. Kel-Tec but still quite concealable. Not one malfunction either, since new. It's a confidence-inspiring piece.

I was worried about accuracy too with the XD-9 SC. But it shoot almost as good as my .45 5inch.

XD40coyote

imported post

XD9 has about as much kick as the 4" XD40, but just as accurate. I like mine, but yeah its a little fat being its dbl stack, but so are Glocks. However I bought my XD9 sub with ccw in mind. It was used and a bargain as far as MD prices go, otherwise I may have looked into the XD40 sub, however I heard it has more kick. And yes my XD9 sub ate all the +p's I tested with it, was using gold dot short barrel hp's. In fact it has had ZERO problems. I also like the peirce grip extension on the 10rd mags, even with my smaller female hands. My only concern is how I will conceal it! Well PA allows OC, soooo could just do that....LOL ( heck I could wear the 4" .40), PA is where I'd be carrying, VA if I ever get over my travel anxiety thing- also OC!

Eagleeye

imported post

Didn't see anyone mention the Para-Ord Hawg & Carry lineups...

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_hawg.php
http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_conceal.php

EG:

(Double Stack's)

Nite Hawg
Product Code: NHX1045N
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 10+1
Barrel: 3"

Hawg 9
Product Code: WHX129R
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 12+1

(Single Stack's)

Carry
Product Code: CWX645B
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 6+1

Carry 9
Product Code: CWX79R
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 8+1

Decent Capacity in a small package...

SQLtables

imported post

XD SC in your favorite caliber with a comp-tac gurkha holster. works every time

I forgot to mention that I have the SC 9mm and the service .40, and I've had ZERO problems with both, other than a guy trying to shoot reloads which were seated too long :banghead: