Thread: Help me avoid the horror of calling Comcast tech support.

Post imported post

I frequenty get these errors when clicking on any links in the OCDO forums.
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum62/9417.html on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    [line] Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.mywowbb.com Port 80
    I'm using Firefox. I have comcast high speed. Cable modem to wireless router. Router to desktop via Cat-5, and also to laptop (wireless and sometimes Cat-5.) I get this error on the desktop only. I've posted about this before. I've written to the forum owner(s) several times for advice with no substantive replies.

Can anyone help me?

Post imported post

Hmpf, I wish I had the link to the story, but Washington state has signed an agreement with Canada to prohibit the unlicensed viewing of information pertaining to guns and natural rights. You now need to apply for a Firearm Researcher's Identification (FRID) card from your county. It's for safety. Actually, if you're caught looking at prohibited pages without a FRID, you could be looking at felony charges.

I'm kidding...

Post imported post

Huh. Microsoft must be in on it, 'cause everything works ok in Explorer. Only took me 30 refreshes to be able to look at your response.

Post imported post

deanf wrote:
    I frequenty get these errors when clicking on any links in the OCDO forums.
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum62/9417.html on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    [line] Apache/1.3.37 Server at http://www.mywowbb.com Port 80
    I'm using Firefox. I have comcast high speed. Cable modem to wireless router. Router to desktop via Cat-5, and also to laptop (wireless and sometimes Cat-5.) I get this error on the desktop only. I've posted about this before. I've written to the forum owner(s) several times for advice with no substantive replies.

Can anyone help me?
    That looks like the same error I have been getting. I am also using Firefox, so I am pretty sure the problem is in the browser, not the ISP. Loging out and resetting the cookie fixes it for a little while.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I always use firefox, no problem.

Did you try restoring your default settings?

Post imported post

I'm using Firefox version 1.5.0.12 and have yet to have problems with this site.

Post imported post

firefox here as well, never an issue.

do you have the latest version/update.. I'm running 2.0.0.14.

Post imported post

Yeah I just deleted and reinstalled it.

Post imported post

sometimes the page loading will take a bit usually on wireless but otherwise no issues with firefox (2.0.0.14).

Post imported post

I would suggest you try cleaning up your cache and other detritus on your computer first. I like Steven Gould's free utility CleanUp! I recommend downloading and installing that program (it's tiny and written in machine language as are most all his programming - he is well known in computer security). Under the "options" button, I typically use "standard cleanup" and typically run it at least daily to keep things cleaned up on the computer. Have been using it for years.

Close all programs and run CleanUp!. Depending on how clean your computer is it may take seconds or many minutes. After running it will ask to restart to clean up certain other things. Let it reboot. It may not fix it but it won't hurt anything either if you don't run a similar program already.

If that doesn't fix it, unless someone else has some handy dandy quick idea this is probably going to get a little more complicated to find the solution. I'll help as much as I can, but I know we have some much more knowledgable computer than me on here who will probably be of more help if cleaning up things doesn't fix it.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

State Researcher

Post imported post

Firefox on Gentoo Linux no problems. My only issue is that noscript and adblock pro make viewing some flash pages and youtube videos a PITA.

State Researcher

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    Hmpf, I wish I had the link to the story, but Washington state has signed an agreement with Canada to prohibit the unlicensed viewing of information pertaining to guns and natural rights. You now need to apply for a Firearm Researcher's Identification (FRID) card from your county. It's for safety. Actually, if you're caught looking at prohibited pages without a FRID, you could be looking at felony charges.

I'm kidding...
    Dang you, i didn't see your disclaimer at the bottom and spent lots of time rooting around on the 'net.
    Besides States can't enter into agreements with foriegn nations, and in Canada you can buy Norinco M-14's for cheep from Marstar.

Post imported post

Several of us use Firefox so I don't think it is a firefox issue.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:

I'm kidding...
    Dang you, i didn't see your disclaimer at the bottom and spent lots of time rooting around on the 'net.
    Besides States can't enter into agreements with foriegn nations, and in Canada you can buy Norinco M-14's for cheep from Marstar.

I thought the state entering into a foreign agreement would have given it away...

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Firefox on Gentoo Linux no problems.
    Ah, we've got a ricer on the forum, huh?

JK, of course. Glad to see another Linux user (I use Debian, mostly).

Never had a problem with Konqueror or Firefox, various versions, up to and including FF3b5.

State Researcher

Post imported post

swillden wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Firefox on Gentoo Linux no problems.
    Ah, we've got a ricer on the forum, huh?

JK, of course. Glad to see another Linux user (I use Debian, mostly).

Never had a problem with Konqueror or Firefox, various versions, up to and including FF3b5.
    LOL. I'm learning Gentoo more or less by force as my Linux using friend who turned me on to this stuff is a Gentoo user. Once I got the hang of it, I actually like some of the features more than Debian distro I used. My favorite is the portage tree. I'm not into tricking my system with fake use flags, or whatnot.

State Researcher

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

I thought the state entering into a foreign agreement would have given it away...
    These days, who knows...