• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wegmans = OC Only

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Its real simple, the Sterling and Fairlakes Wegmans have VA ABC restaurant licenses. You can sit down and order a beer, or a glass of wine, even sake, with a meal. Like it or not concealed carry is illegal. You do it you are breaking the law.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Its real simple, the Sterling and Fairlakes Wegmans have VA ABC restaurant licenses. You can sit down and order a beer, or a glass of wine, even sake, with a meal. Like it or not concealed carry is illegal. You do it you are breaking the law.

I know of no Wegs in Sterling. If you mean DULLES, you can't order a beer and a meal or wine. You might be able to tatste wine in the back.. but the cafe does not serve beer or wine. I CC or OC at my discretion with no issues.

Ed

hsmith

imported post

ed wrote:
longwatch wrote:

I know of no Wegs in Sterling. If you mean DULLES, you can't order a beer and a meal or wine. You might be able to tatste wine in the back.. but the cafe does not serve beer or wine. I CC or OC at my discretion with no issues.

Ed
Ed, You are good to go, a license search reveals their Restaurant license was withdrawn for the Sterling/Dulles location.

Newbius

imported post

Just visited the Wegman's in Fredericksburg.

I spoke to the one of the ABC managers on premises and while they do have a "Restaurant" ABC License, it is *only* for the Cafe and Seafood Bar areas (Upstairs). The rest of the store falls under the "Gourmet" license.

The assistant store manager wondered why I was concerned and I explained to her the idiosyncrasies of VA law regarding concealed carry and restaurants. I also explained to her that if she saw other citizens openly carrying, that it was likely due to their ABC license status.

She was thankful for the information and seemed to be genuinely interested in the issue, in a pleasant way. All in all, it was a good encounter.

Pax,

Newbius

Dreamer

imported post

Newbius brings up a good point. Liquor licenses are issued with VERY specific limitations as to location. I doubt that the ENTIRE store of a Wegmans would be covered by their license--just the cafe area...

I live in NC, and the laws here are a little different. We can't carry AT ALL in any establishment that serves alcohol for consumption--open or concealed. I work as the night auditor in a hotel, and we have a restaurant attached to the lobby that a full liquor license. I called our local ALE office (Alcohol Law Enforcement) and they told me that our liquor license stopped at the door to the restaurant, and therefore I could legally CC or OC in the lobby while on the job (with my employer's permission) as long as I did not go into the restaurant...

I would assume the cafe's in Wegmans have a similar limitation on their license. So IANAL, but I'd think that if you're just inthe grocery store part of a Wegman's, CC is OK, but if you go into the cafe area, you need to OC, per VA law.

Someone probably needs to contact the VA ABCC and see what THEY have to say about it. Those folks seem to know the law MUCH better than the average LEO, and will be able to tell you the EXACT limitations of Wegman's liquor license, and the attendant carry restrictions thereof.

TFred

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Newbius brings up a good point. Liquor licenses are issued with VERY specific limitations as to location. I doubt that the ENTIRE store of a Wegmans would be covered by their license--just the cafe area...

I live in NC, and the laws here are a little different. We can't carry AT ALL in any establishment that serves alcohol for consumption--open or concealed. I work as the night auditor in a hotel, and we have a restaurant attached to the lobby that a full liquor license. I called our local ALE office (Alcohol Law Enforcement) and they told me that our liquor license stopped at the door to the restaurant, and therefore I could legally CC or OC in the lobby while on the job (with my employer's permission) as long as I did not go into the restaurant...

I would assume the cafe's in Wegmans have a similar limitation on their license. So IANAL, but I'd think that if you're just inthe grocery store part of a Wegman's, CC is OK, but if you go into the cafe area, you need to OC, per VA law.

Someone probably needs to contact the VA ABCC and see what THEY have to say about it. Those folks seem to know the law MUCH better than the average LEO, and will be able to tell you the EXACT limitations of Wegman's liquor license, and the attendant carry restrictions thereof.
I'm not so sure about this. I was just in the Fredericksburg Wegmans a couple days ago, and in the "regular" part of the store, near their very large wine section, they had a counter set up with a sign giving times for wine tasting. I'm sure they would need some sort of an ABC license to do that, although probably not the magic "restaurant or club" license. But something, and it was not anywhere near the food court area.

It will be interesting to see if their upper management takes some sort of a position or sets some sort of a policy for this. Wegmans is based out of New York, and Virginia is their southern-most presence, so far. It might behoove us to firmly let them know if they want to come down here and collect "our money", then they better not offend "our rights".

:)

TFred

opencarrypalmtrees

are we allowed to open carry or conceal carry at wegmans ?

are we allowed to open carry or conceal carry at wegmans? I don't see that its posted so I am going to open carry :) As of this moment september 4 , 2011 you are allowed to open carry or conceal carry a firearm in a ABC liquor location.

hunter45

are we allowed to open carry or conceal carry at wegmans? I don't see that its posted so I am going to open carry :) As of this moment september 4 , 2011 you are allowed to open carry or conceal carry a firearm in a ABC liquor location.

OC and CC are fine. This is an old thread, CC is now allowed in bars.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
By definition there are no bars in Virginia. Bars are not required to sell a certain % of food. We have restaurants with ABC licenses.

Wine tasting is a special ABC permit that does not come under the normal limitations - I leave it to someone else to find the cite.

Hope that others realize that this thread is over 3 years old and the law has changed to allow either OC or CC in establishments that sell alcohol for on premises consumption - subject to a few limitations. I claim the same caveat as I'm tired and about to crash.

hunter45

By definition there are no bars in Virginia. Bars are not required to sell a certain % of food. We have restaurants with ABC licenses.

By definition, there are bars in Virginia. Merriam-Webster says a bar is "a counter at which food or especially alcoholic beverages are served." http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bar

Also, I have never once heard someone say "Let's go have a beer at the restaurant with an ABC license". I have, however, heard plenty of people say "Let's go grab a beer at the bar".

And I knew what Roscoe meant. I just feel like being difficult.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Colloquial definitions have no place in determining what type of facility is licensed to serve/handle alcoholic beverages. That is the purview of the Virginia Alcoholic Control Board.

Banquet facility; Distillery; Internet wine retailer
Bed and breakfast; Drug store; Marina
Brewery; Food concessions (coliseum, stadium); Meal assembly kitchen
Carrier (airplane, boat, train); Gift shop; Out-of-bond permit
Caterer; Gourmet brewing shop; Resort complex
Continuing care community; Gourmet shop; Restaurant
Convenience store; Grocery; Shipper
Day spa; Hotel Tax-exempt private club
Delicatessen Hotel—Limited service Wholesaler
Delivery permit (out-of-state); Importer Winery
http://www.abc.virginia.gov/enforce/forms/license.pdf

You will notice that the term "bar" is conspicuously absent.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There are plenty of bars in VA.

jail-cell_jpg.jpg