• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interest in a Utah permit? - informal survey

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Ed - may I ask what the cost is for the class you are taking? We're still working on pricing for ours so I'm interested in what folks think is a fair price.

Jim
I am in Stafford. I charge $100, but if they prepay (7 days out for check and 3 days out for money order) it is only $75. That killed most of my no-shows. The feeincludes the range fee and target, but does not include gun or ammo. If they need that, it is $5 for a rental gun and $10 for the ammo. I would also suggest you get a batch of fingerprint cards for people who live in jurisdictions where getting fingerprinted is a chore.Sell then 2 for $1. That way they do not get wasted. Tell your students to get 2 sets. One gets submitted to Utah BCI and the other they can keep on file if they ever need to submit a set for anything else.
"Yes, for your convenience, we fingerprint everythird Wednesday from 1PMto1:15PM. and you need to provide the card(s) and if smudge them, well,TS..."

If you want to talk, my class email address is 4permits@gmail.com

Neplusultra

imported post

pourshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Ed - may I ask what the cost is for the class you are taking? We're still working on pricing for ours so I'm interested in what folks think is a fair price.

Jim
I am in Stafford. I charge $100, but if they prepay (7 days out for check and 3 days out for money order) it is only $75. That killed most of my no-shows. The feeincludes the range fee and target, but does not include gun or ammo. If they need that, it is $5 for a rental gun and $10 for the ammo. I would also suggest you get a batch of fingerprint cards for people who live in jurisdictions where getting fingerprinted is a chore.Sell then 2 for $1. That way they do not get wasted. Tell your students to get 2 sets. One gets submitted to Utah BCI and the other they can keep on file if they ever need to submit a set for anything else.
"Yes, for your convenience, we fingerprint everythird Wednesday from 1PMto1:15PM. and you need to provide the card(s) and if smudge them, well,TS..."

If you want to talk, my class email address is 4permits@gmail.com
Utah requires fingerprints?

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Utah requires fingerprints?

Yes, and a mug shot...er...um passport photo.

per the application found at Taylorsville UT 84118

[align=left]HOW TO APPLY[/align]

[align=left]Please answer all questions in the application by typing or clearly printing in ink. Attach all documentation required. Every application must be signed and notarized prior to being submitted.[/align]

[align=left]COST TO APPLY[/align]

[align=left]A non-refundable fee of $
65.25 must be included with your application. This fee consists of $35.00 for application and permit processing and $30.25 charged by F.B.I. to process the fingerprint card. The Bureau will accept cash, check, money order or credit cards. Credit card payment must include the 3 digit control number from the back of the card. We only accept VISA and MASTERCARD. Make check or money order payable to the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification. There will be a $20.00 service charge for returned checks. DO NOT SEND CASH IN THE MAIL[/align]

[align=left]CONCEALED FIREARM COURSE SURVEY[/align]

[align=left]Please complete the course survey. This is available on the BCI website. Please return survey by e-mail to
DPSFIREARMS@utah.gov[/align]

[align=left]WHAT MUST ACCOMPANY THE APPLICATION[/align]

[align=left]INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS:[/align]

[align=left]☐
PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE[/align]

[align=left]☐
1 (BLUE & WHITE) APPLICANT FINGERPRINT CARD[/align]

[align=left]BCI does offer fingerprint services. The fee is $13.00[/align]

[align=left]☐
PHOTOGRAPH:[/align]

[align=left]One recent
color photograph of passport quality – 2”X2”[/align]

[align=left]NAME MUST BE ON BACK OF PHOTO!! BCI does offer photo services for our permits. The fee for a photo is $13.00[/align]

[align=left]☐
Application must include physical and mailing address[/align]

[align=left]Any questions please contact BCI at (801) 965-4445
.[/align]

[align=left]☐
FINGERPRINT CARDS:[/align]

[align=left]Blue and white Applicant fingerprint card can be obtained from B.C.I. or your local police department. Fingerprint card must be filled out completely.
USE BLACK INK ONLY. Writing and prints must be legible. Fingerprints should be taken by a trained fingerprint technician. Fingerprint cards that are not legible will be returned to the applicant and will cause a delay in processing the application. Fingerprint services may be available from your local law enforcement agency. Check in your local phone book for private businesses that also offer this service. The Bureau does offer fingerprinting and photo services if applying in person. Fingerprint fee is $13.00[/align]

[align=left]☐
VERIFICATIONS:[/align]

[align=left]If you are a resident alien or naturalized citizen you must include your ARI or naturalization number on your application and fingerprint card
.[/align]

[align=left]☐
WEAPON FAMILIARITY CERTIFICATION:[/align]

[align=left]Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by the Bureau. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor complete the certification information on the application.
BCI must receive your application within one year of course completion.[/align]

[align=left]☐
APPLICATION PROCESSING[/align]

[align=left]Once your application is received, a background investigation will be conducted. When this process is complete and it is determined that the criteria established by law has been met, the permit will be mailed to you. Do not call to check the status of your permit. Your application will be receipted once it is received. We have
60 days to process your application.[/align]

[align=left]WARNING[/align]

[align=left]Falsification of any information in the application may result in denial or revocation of a permit and possible criminal prosecution.[/align]

[align=left]Applications will be accepted from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. at the Bureau office. You may also apply by mail.[/align]

[align=left]VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:[/align]
http://www.bci.utah.gov

Neplusultra

imported post

I have a fundamental problem with giving the government my fingerprints when I haven't done anything wrong. I'll wait, after Heller I'm sure someone will sue over this.

swillden

imported post

C45P312 wrote:
Can someone enlighten me as to why a VA resident would want a Utah CHP? Sorry if I missed it ...
The Utah CFP is accepted in a number states that the VA CHP is not, because the Utah Bureau of Criminal Investigation has been very aggressive at establishing reciprocity agreements.

States that accept the VA CHP:

virginia_map.gif

States that accept the UT CFP:

utah_map.gif

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

swillden wrote:
C45P312 wrote:
Can someone enlighten me as to why a VA resident would want a Utah CHP? Sorry if I missed it ...
The Utah CFP is accepted in a number states that the VA CHP is not, because the Utah Bureau of Criminal Investigation has been very aggressive at establishing reciprocity agreements.

*AND* the renewal is only $10!

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Out utah class is was great today.. I got to shoot my new RUGER LCP and now my Crimson Laser sites on my Kimber are DEAD on!

Very productive day.. Application goes off in the mail tomorrow.. I will post the turn around time when the permit comes.

Ed

C45P312

imported post

Cool deal, I'll be down.

Proshooter: Could you make a list of stuff to bring for the class and possible where to get it from like that fingerprint card lol

Thanks

-Carlo

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

C45P312 wrote:
Cool deal, I'll be down.

Proshooter: Could you make a list of stuff to bring for the class and possible where to get it from like that fingerprint card lol

Thanks

-Carlo
Carlo - more than likely, we will provide the fingerprint cards as part of the class fee since most law enforcement agencies require you to bring your own when requesting prints.