Thread: KS - Burglar greeted by gunfire

Post imported post

Overland Park, Kansas

From the Kansas City Star of April 30, 2008
    Burglar greeted by gunfire

Overland Park police are investigating a business burglary where an employee fired shots at a suspect. But the suspect, who may have been hit, was able to get away.

The incident occurred at 10:50 p.m. Tuesday at Ratliff Guttering Company in the 5000 block of Mackey Street.

Police said a company employee had been sleeping in an apartment inside the business when he heard a loud crash coming from the garage area. The employee grabbed a 12-gauge shotgun and went to the garage area to investigate.

The employee saw the garage door partially open and then saw a man inside near one of the company’s trucks. He then fired a shot and heard the man yell. The intruder then ran towards the garage door and the employee fired again.

Police found blood on the garage floor but could not find the intruder anywhere. They alerted hospitals and other area law enforcement agencies.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Guttering company, huh? Probably someone looking to steal aluminum to sell for scrap. Probably won't do that again.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

those metal scavangers are getting ballsy, that place is only a few miles from me

KansasScout

Post imported post

About 20 years ago, maybe 25, a local KC area foundation contractor kept having his trucks loaded with aluminum forms stolen so the theives could sell the metal. After a couple incidents he started spending the night and before too long they came back for more. They broke into the office for the keys like before but this time the guy shot one of them dead with his .357 Magnum. No more robberies. Problem solved.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

He may not have hit the burglar with shot. The BG may have had a severe and instantanious rectal prolapse from the sound of the first shot. :what:

Post imported post

Why resurrect such an old post?

McX

Post imported post

was it a clean shoot with the DA?

Post imported post

No gunshot victim to counter-argue means only the shooters statement for evidence. It is a clean shoot.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

The employee saw the garage door partially open and then saw a man inside near one of the company’s trucks. He then fired a shot and heard the man yell. The intruder then ran towards the garage door and the employee fired again.
    Is anyone else bothered by this?
    If there are no more details than this, it looks like a case of trespassing.
    10:30 P.M, a homeless guy wanders into an open garage looking for a warm place to spend the night, gets shot.
    Another worker at the business returns to get his cell phone that he left at work, gets shot.

There did not appear to be threats of bodily harm.

Post imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
    10:30 P.M, a homeless guy wanders into an open garage looking for a warm place to spend the night, gets shot.
    Another worker at the business returns to get his cell phone that he left at work, gets shot.

Really depends on what the law is in Kansas.

If you can legally treat anyone who breaks into your home/business as if they are an imminent threat, then you are good to go.

In California if someone uses force to enter your home, by the Penal Code that act in and of itself gives reasonable cause to believe that your life is in imminent danger.

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    flintlock tom wrote:

Really depends on what the law is in Kansas.

If you can legally treat anyone who breaks into your home/business as if they are an imminent threat, then you are good to go.

In California if someone uses force to enter your home, by the Penal Code that act in and of itself gives reasonable cause to believe that your life is in imminent danger.
    This

I personally believe it should be law(some states it is) that you can shoot any robber either being a threat to ones family or property. I feel we should have open season on robbers in general, make there carrier choice very dangerous to conduct. I hear from people that it is cold hearted thing to support over personal proptery, but that stuff is something I work extremely hard for.

In some cases that property helps provided income for a persons family. Just like they used to hang horse thief's, people need the legal protection and ability to stop anyone with force from stealing their property. I am truly heartless to anyone who steals, rapes, murders, molests ext. I truly hope people in each one of those life styles catch a bullet and bleed out.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Post imported post

^^^^^ what Zack said. I tried to quote his but gave up.Didn't want to have all the other quotes in there also.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Post imported post

I concur. Stealing someones ability to livelyhood may make it impossible to provide for his family.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

flintlock tom wrote:

I am only bothered by your statement,
    Where did you come up with the idea that the perpetrator was just looking for a warm place to spend the night out of the cold?
    And why would you be an apologist for this perp's criminal activity? that is a page right out of the book on how to brainwash the masses into leaning to the left
    Seriously, The shooterwas living at the place of business, therefore it is his domicile, and I do not care what a persons excuse is that they decide to break into my home, They did not pay or maintain it, and they have no right (legal or otherwise) to break into the place and they will pay the ultimate price if they make the mistake of invading my home. I cannot tell what a persons intentions are when the break & enter, so they got ventilated, no debating about it or asking the reason the decided to break into my "Castle".