• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KS - Burglar greeted by gunfire

Flintlock

imported post

Overland Park, Kansas

From the Kansas City Star of April 30, 2008
Burglar greeted by gunfire

Overland Park police are investigating a business burglary where an employee fired shots at a suspect. But the suspect, who may have been hit, was able to get away.

The incident occurred at 10:50 p.m. Tuesday at Ratliff Guttering Company in the 5000 block of Mackey Street.

Police said a company employee had been sleeping in an apartment inside the business when he heard a loud crash coming from the garage area. The employee grabbed a 12-gauge shotgun and went to the garage area to investigate.

The employee saw the garage door partially open and then saw a man inside near one of the company’s trucks. He then fired a shot and heard the man yell. The intruder then ran towards the garage door and the employee fired again.

Police found blood on the garage floor but could not find the intruder anywhere. They alerted hospitals and other area law enforcement agencies.​

K

KansasScout

imported post

About 20 years ago, maybe 25, a local KC area foundation contractor kept having his trucks loaded with aluminum forms stolen so the theives could sell the metal. After a couple incidents he started spending the night and before too long they came back for more. They broke into the office for the keys like before but this time the guy shot one of them dead with his .357 Magnum. No more robberies. Problem solved.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

The employee saw the garage door partially open and then saw a man inside near one of the company’s trucks. He then fired a shot and heard the man yell. The intruder then ran towards the garage door and the employee fired again.
Is anyone else bothered by this?
If there are no more details than this, it looks like a case of trespassing.
10:30 P.M, a homeless guy wanders into an open garage looking for a warm place to spend the night, gets shot.
Another worker at the business returns to get his cell phone that he left at work, gets shot.

There did not appear to be threats of bodily harm.

Decoligny

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
10:30 P.M, a homeless guy wanders into an open garage looking for a warm place to spend the night, gets shot.
Another worker at the business returns to get his cell phone that he left at work, gets shot.

Really depends on what the law is in Kansas.

If you can legally treat anyone who breaks into your home/business as if they are an imminent threat, then you are good to go.

In California if someone uses force to enter your home, by the Penal Code that act in and of itself gives reasonable cause to believe that your life is in imminent danger.

zack991

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
flintlock tom wrote:

Really depends on what the law is in Kansas.

If you can legally treat anyone who breaks into your home/business as if they are an imminent threat, then you are good to go.

In California if someone uses force to enter your home, by the Penal Code that act in and of itself gives reasonable cause to believe that your life is in imminent danger.
This

I personally believe it should be law(some states it is) that you can shoot any robber either being a threat to ones family or property. I feel we should have open season on robbers in general, make there carrier choice very dangerous to conduct. I hear from people that it is cold hearted thing to support over personal proptery, but that stuff is something I work extremely hard for.

In some cases that property helps provided income for a persons family. Just like they used to hang horse thief's, people need the legal protection and ability to stop anyone with force from stealing their property. I am truly heartless to anyone who steals, rapes, murders, molests ext. I truly hope people in each one of those life styles catch a bullet and bleed out.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

flintlock tom wrote:

I am only bothered by your statement,
Where did you come up with the idea that the perpetrator was just looking for a warm place to spend the night out of the cold?
And why would you be an apologist for this perp's criminal activity? that is a page right out of the book on how to brainwash the masses into leaning to the left
Seriously, The shooterwas living at the place of business, therefore it is his domicile, and I do not care what a persons excuse is that they decide to break into my home, They did not pay or maintain it, and they have no right (legal or otherwise) to break into the place and they will pay the ultimate price if they make the mistake of invading my home. I cannot tell what a persons intentions are when the break & enter, so they got ventilated, no debating about it or asking the reason the decided to break into my "Castle".