• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia man killed in Civil War cannonball blast

W.E.G.

imported post

note to self: do not dremel cannoball

"Biemeck and Peter George, co-author of a book on Civil War ordnance, believe White was using either a drill or a grinder attached to a drill to remove grit from the cannonball, causing a shower of sparks.
Because of the fuse design, it may have appeared as though the weapon's powder had already been removed, leading even a veteran like White to conclude mistakenly that the ball was inert."

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I recall hearing a story from many years ago about a guy who had two large cannonballs (acutally seige mortar rounds) from the Civil War. He had them on each side of his fireplace. They used to get pretty hot, but he assumed they were just solid cast iron. Some relic hunter saw them and nearly freaked out when he saw they still had intact fuses. If I recall correctly some authorities came in, removed them for him and detonated them. Both went off with a thunderous roar. As long as black powder remains dry, it remains very stable (unlike smokeless powder), and probably could detonate 1000 years later if messed around with.

Poor guy. You just can't be too careful around those things. The article said someone 1/4 mile away had shrapnel in his porch!

Tomahawk

imported post

I once burned smokeless powder that had been at the bottom of the sea for over 70 years after letting it dry, and it lit right up. Even if powder gets wet, it is still dangerous once it's dry. When I was at MCAS Cherry Point, NC, in the early 1990s, we were warned that there was unexploded civil war munitions in the nearby woods.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I once burned smokeless powder that had been at the bottom of the sea for over 70 years after letting it dry, and it lit right up. Even if powder gets wet, it is still dangerous once it's dry. When I was at MCAS Cherry Point, NC, in the early 1990s, we were warned that there was unexploded civil war munitions in the nearby woods.

You guys are correct for smokeless powder, but black powder does not survive getting wet very often. Principally this is because smokeless powder is a true chemical compounding, whereas black powder is a simple mechanical mixture. Both the salt peter and the sulphur can be separated out by moisture. But if the black powder is kept in an enclosed space like a cannon ball, the components do not wash away, and when it dries out it might still produce an exciting reaction when you add a little heat.

Better living through chemistry:celebrate

Regards

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

You guys are correct for smokeless powder, but black powder does not survive getting wet very often. Principally this is because smokeless powder is a true chemical compounding, whereas black powder is a simple mechanical mixture. Both the salt peter and the sulphur can be separated out by moisture. But if the black powder is kept in an enclosed space like a cannon ball, the components do not wash away, and when it dries out it might still produce an exciting reaction when you add a little heat.

Better living through chemistry:celebrate

Regards

HOLY SMOKE!!

WELCOME BACK!!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:

HOLY SMOKE!!

WELCOME BACK!!

hamu.gif

G9M&P15

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:

"Biemeck and Peter George, co-author of a book on Civil War ordnance, believe White was using either a drill or a grinder attached to a drill to remove grit from the cannonball, causing a shower of sparks.
Because of the fuse design, it may have appeared as though the weapon's powder had already been removed, leading even a veteran like White to conclude mistakenly that the ball was inert."

It doesn't make a bit of difference guys, the balls are inert!

ODA 226

imported post

G9M&P15 wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:

It doesn't make a bit of difference guys, the balls are inert!
Yeah but no one told the fuse that it was.