• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drug trafficking in my apt complex

phoneguy

imported post

I need some help if I can hold a druggie and gun point when they crawl trough the window of the complex. I have an apt. in the complex they are not coming into my place. Just coming in a stairway window of the complex. This place is locked at night. Thanks PG

joeroket

imported post

phone guy wrote:
I need some help if I can hold a druggie and gun point when they crawl trough the window of the complex. I have an apt. in the complex they are not coming into my place. Just coming in a stairway window of the complex. This place is locked at night. Thanks PG
Just for crawling in the window? I would have to say no because it would only be a trespassing.

It is only burglary, which would be justifiable as it is a felony, if they enter with the intent on committing a crime against person or property.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Get a camera film it, call the cops next time you see the guy. Tell them you are filming the intruder for documentation. My guess is you'll get a quick response...

Holo

imported post

No offense intended, but with what little information you gave us, it sounds like you need to definitely read up more on when and why you should be reaching for your sidearm.

You should never be drawing or even gesturing towards your sidearm in order to intimidate, imho.

joeroket

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Get a camera film it, call the cops next time you see the guy. Tell them you are filming the intruder for documentation. My guess is you'll get a quick response...
Especially if you tell them that there is a possible burglary in progress.

joeroket

imported post

Holo wrote:
No offense intended, but with what little information you gave us, it sounds like you need to definitely read up more on when and why you should be reaching for your sidearm.

You should never be drawing or even gesturing towards your sidearm in order to intimidate, imho.
Not only is it your opinion but it is against the law to use a firearm to intimidate someone.

phoneguy

imported post

I feel so defenseles against these people. They have broken into many cars looking for things they can get money for (including mine). The pot smoke is very bad the cops been here before.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Essentially, you're usually in the clear using your weapon if there is an immediaterisk to the life of yourself or others. It gets much dicier when you start defending property- too many juries that have swallowed the propaganda of "just give them what they want and they won't hurt you."

You want to study up on force escalation- physical force, deadly force, etc.

But for the situation you are describing here, your gun is not your best weapon. Your gun should be reserved for the defense of your person. Other tools will be more effective at solving your problem without landing you in prison.

Keep a notebook. Detail every time you smell pot, where it is coming from, the date, time, descriptions of the people you see. Take a photo is possible. Keep it brief, to the point, detailed enough to be precise if you have to testify in court. Date and time for every entry.This will be admissable evidence and you will almost certainlybe allowed to refer to it in court. (IANAL, but I have been a security guard in thedistant past, and I do computer security now.)If you don't have your notebook with you during an incident, note the details ASAP after the fact, noting the time the incident occured, and the time when you are writing it down.

Don't make threats or value judgements in your notebook. Don't use it as a diary of your feelings.Just the facts, man. Don't give up your notebook uness it is being admitted to evidence in a court. If cops would like the info in it, make photocopies and keep the original in your posession.

Honestly, this sounds tedious, but it is the most important and easiest thing out of all my advice. It is the same advice I have given to friends who are going through a divorce. The ones who did it prospered, the ones who didn't, got screwed.

Contact your landlord, and complain about any security problems (broken doors/windows, locks) in writing with copies. Note all of this in your notebook. Report any code violations that are not fixed ASAP. Talk to the Better Business Bureau if you don't get cooperation from the landlord (largely futile, I know; but it's easy enough to do and it might help you or someone else down the line.)

Get to know your neighbors, see if you can get them to help identify the perpetrators. Let them know you're keeping the notebook, and encourage the upstanding ones to do the same.

Take pictures or video. Wear your sidearm if necessary while doing so. Make it obvious you are getting identification of the bad guys. Get somebody to help you do this- they won't be so bold if there are two or more of you. Ths goes along with getting to know your neighbors, even a forming a neighborhood watch, if you can.

When you call 911, tell the dispatcher you are going to confront the perp- DO NOT make threats about using a weapon against them- you do not want to have evidence that might be considered premeditation or intent to harm or kill someone. Telling them you are confronting the perp will get a faster response as there is a possibility of violence, which is more exciting for the cops than a B&E with the perp gone, no evidence, and no really big money involved.

Write a letter to your local newspaper outlining the crime problem and lack of responsiveness of police- the papers love to beat on cops. Bureacracies such as police departments also respond to public censure.

Most of all, take any small positive step you can, rather than letting frustration get the best of you. Don't do anything stupid. Good luck.

surfj9009

imported post

This is all very good advice

thebastidge wrote:
Essentially, you're usually in the clear using your weapon if there is an immediate risk to the life of yourself or others. It gets much dicier when you start defending property- too many juries that have swallowed the propaganda of "just give them what they want and they won't hurt you."

You want to study up on force escalation- physical force, deadly force, etc.

But for the situation you are describing here, your gun is not your best weapon. Your gun should be reserved for the defense of your person. Other tools will be more effective  at solving your problem without landing you in prison.

Keep a notebook. Detail every time you smell pot, where it is coming from, the date, time, descriptions of the people you see. Take a photo is possible. Keep it brief, to the point, detailed enough to be precise if you have to testify in court. Date and time for every entry. This will be admissable evidence and you will almost certainly be allowed to refer to it in court. (IANAL, but I have been a security guard in the distant past, and I do computer security now.) If you don't have your notebook with you during an incident, note the details ASAP after the fact, noting the time the incident occured, and the time when you are writing it down.

Don't make threats or value judgements in your notebook. Don't use it as a diary of your feelings. Just the facts, man. Don't give up your notebook uness it is being admitted to evidence in a court. If cops would like the info in it, make photocopies and keep the original in your posession.

Honestly, this sounds tedious, but it is the most important and easiest thing out of all my advice. It is the same advice I have given to friends who are going through a divorce. The ones who did it prospered, the ones who didn't, got screwed.

Contact your landlord, and complain about any security problems (broken doors/windows, locks) in writing with copies. Note all of this in your notebook. Report any code violations that are not fixed ASAP. Talk to the Better Business Bureau if you don't get cooperation from the landlord (largely futile, I know; but it's easy enough to do and it might help you or someone else down the line.)

Get to know your neighbors, see if you can get them to help identify the perpetrators. Let them know you're keeping the notebook, and encourage the upstanding ones to do the same.

Take pictures or video. Wear your sidearm if necessary while doing so. Make it obvious you are getting identification of the bad guys. Get somebody to help you do this- they won't be so bold if there are two or more of you.  Ths goes along with getting to know your neighbors, even a forming a neighborhood watch, if you can.

When you call 911, tell the dispatcher you are going to confront the perp- DO NOT make threats about using a weapon against them- you do not want to have evidence that might be considered premeditation or intent to harm or kill someone. Telling them you are confronting the perp will get a faster response as there is a possibility of violence, which is more exciting for the cops than a B&E with the perp gone, no evidence, and no really big money involved.

Write a letter to your local newspaper outlining the crime problem and lack of responsiveness of police- the papers love to beat on cops. Bureacracies such as police departments also respond to public censure.

Most of all, take any small positive step you can, rather than letting frustration get the best of you. Don't do anything stupid. Good luck.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Make certain your note book is a BOUND version and not loose leaf. Put only notes pertaining to the problem. Anything in the notebook, regardless of what it pertains to will be subject to court review if the notes are used as evidence. I don't think a comment about a personal problem would be welcomed by you if it appeared in public court proceedings.

Number the pages and DO NOT tear out any pages.

The things you need are: Who, What, Where, When, Why, and HOW the problem is occurring.

phoneguy

imported post

Thanks every one. There are 3 neighbors that know about the problem. I did speak to the landlord and they are going through the eviction process. He told me to be patient till the papers are served. My neighbors do band together when something like this happens. Maybe I have been watching to many Death Wish movies. I was sure upset last night.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Add Trigger Dr's advice to mine- I should have been that explicit, but I was writing off the cuff. :)

One thing I will say: DO NOT "BE PATIENT"

Eviction process is all well and good, but the bastards will just become someone else's problem. Putting them in jail is better for everyone, and there is no guarantee that just because the drug dealer living there is gone, that all the crime will magically disappear overnight- could be some lag.

If your landlord is working on it honestly, then fine, don't bust their balls, but help themby performingthe other steps outlined here.