Thread: It's hard to OC....

Post imported post

....when you can't find or decide on a holster:?

I'd like to get some suggestions for an OC/hiking holster for an M&P40c. My dilemma concerns finding an appropriate holster to do so. I like the look of Comp-Tac's paddle holster, but it does not have a thumb break/active retention. From what I can see, BH doesn't make a Serpa for the M&P compact, but Safariland does make a few for the M&Pc. I was looking at the Safariland Paddle w/ als(model 6378). This will be my first OWB/OC holster(save a Bianchi accumold for a Sigma) and I've been trying to wade through all the options...paddle/belt, thumb break/rentention system. I CC right now in a Comp-Tac MTAC and love it, but need to find something I can OC with....any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
    -Colockum

p.s. I posted this in the 'holsters' section of OCDO, but didn't get *any* replies...hopefully, as the WA forum is so active, more folks will see this.

Post imported post

If you hadn't already said they don't make one, I would've said the Serpa (I love mine! ). But, that being the case, I'm at a loss, as I have very little experience with holsters.

Perhaps some of our more experienced members can shed some light on good holsters for the M&Pc....
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Go to a gun store or somewhere that sells BH holster and see for your self. I have a XD40 subcompact and the BH is good for all models. Not saying that it will for yours. If it does work the leg holster would be good for hiking.

Post imported post

There is nothing wrong with a good leather holster.

Bianchi makes a good one in the model 19 or 19L.

Post imported post

I've been searching for a holster system that I could use for hiking also. I think a chest rig with a cheap molle universal holsterwould be a nice setup. Ora blackhawk level 3 with a mollo adapter, but they don't make them for XD's (Aholes).

It might take a little customizing to get it right but I think it would be great for hiking. Hip and tight rigs always seem to get in the way and don't really work with athletic shorts.

Post imported post

What level of retention are you looking for?

Post imported post

Colockum wrote:
    I'd like to get some suggestions for an OC/hiking holster for an M&P40c.
    I guess my first question is, "What kind of hiking are you planning?"

From another forum:

Hiking with a firearm presents some problems that are very different from normal ‘urban’ carry. Because you will get a lot of different advice from people who ‘hike’ for all of one mile or have never actually done a substantial hike with a heavy pack, we should define a few terms.
    Camping is driving your car (or camper) somewhere and spending the night. (Open trunk, plunk down tent)
    Backpacking is where you hike with all the gear you’ll need to a remote location to spend the night. (Heavy pack)
    Hiking is walking somewhere remote (on trail or off), carrying the gear you’ll need for the day. (The ten essentials)
    Taking a stroll is where you walk through a park or similar setting and carry a few items to make it more pleasant. (Camera and a bottle of water)

For camping you can take anything that fits in your vehicle so your holster choice isn’t too important. If you’re going to stroll through a park, your normal carry rig is going to be sufficient.

Now, if you’ll be hiking or backpacking there are problems with ‘normal’ types of carry. For example, if you wear a belt holster you’ll need a belt to put it on, likewise with the thigh holster. It can get very uncomfortable and even painful to hike for any real distance with a pack belt over a normal belt and buckle. My hiking pants don’t even have belt loops; instead they incorporate a built in web belt that’s very thin and will barely support even a small knife. If you intend to put the holster on the pack’s belt, you’ll find it impossible to get the quick-release buckle through the holster’s belt loop. A paddle holster works reasonably well; I’ve used one on shorter hikes. A holster that attaches to the pack itself, as mentioned above, also works well and is more comfortable, but you have to consider that when you take the pack off you are unarmed.

I would not even consider trying any of the concealed methods. You will simply not have enough time to draw from concealment if you are attacked. View the video on the upper right side of this page while wearing your pack and holster with the weapon unloaded. Can you draw and (dry) fire two or three rounds before the bear hits the camera? Don’t concern yourself with what other hikers might think or feel, most of them are aware of firearms and have seen hikers, fishermen, and hunters with them. Your first priorities are comfort and speed; if it becomes uncomfortable you’ll just end up placing the gun inside your pack where it will do you no good.
    This is what I use:

Post imported post

Thanks for the replies so far guys! As far as level of retention, I was leaning towards either a thumbreak or system like the ALS from Safariland. Basically I'd like a holster that would be appropriate as an OC holster...as in something other than an open top holster, so one of these days when I'm in Spokane or on the west side of the Cascades I could join you find folks for an OC get together. Concerning the hiking part of the equation, I don't do difficult/technical hiking, usually just walking in the woods to a fishing hole, etc. I do like the look of those chest carriers, though it might be a bit mall ninja for a trip to Quiznos. I might mention that funds are tight(full time college student, etc) so I'm trying to find a holster that would be suitable for both needs. Thanks a bunch for your replies so far!

Cheers!

-Colockum

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

Don Hume Double Nine.

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, USA

Post imported post

I understand and sympathize with the tight funds. However, sometimes nothing will do but the right equipment. You can cut down a tree with a pruning saw, but it's more dangerous, leaves you tired and sore, and just isn't worth the time if you have any other options.

I'd say you have a basic prioritization issue. Which one is more important/more useful/ more immediate?
    Be prepared. Be very prepared.

http://swwsurplus.com/ *** 2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98661 *** 360.314.6687
    http://www.facebook.com/SouthWestWashingtonSurplus *** https://twitter.com/SWWSurplus

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    Colockum wrote:

This is what I use:

Mainsail, you have a link for that?

Post imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
    Mainsail wrote:
    Colockum wrote:

This is what I use:

Mainsail, you have a link for that?
    Oh, duh, I forgot the link!

Post imported post

High Noon makes great holsters. If you are looking for a thumb break you can't beat this one.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod..._sky_high.html