Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice - CC Permit Denied - Needed proof of competency

Post imported post

I have a friend that submitted his application to Fairfax County and used a hunter safety course for his competency but he was denied as the safety course was not approved!

He received a letter indicating he has 14 days to provide proof of competency to use this original application.

He lives in Annandale and needs to attend a CC class as soon as possible so that he does not have to spend money on another application and wait 45 more days!

Does anyone know of anyplace holding classes?

Post imported post

No idea since I'm not in Fairfax Co, so I can't help with the class, but was it a Virginia DGIF Hunter Safety Course? Don't they have to take those?

Post imported post

From the NRA website, listed as a basic pistol course:

• Fairfax - Saturday, May 10, 2008, Comfort Inn, $145
      Chip Lohman, 703-371-4234. , support@safepistol.com
      Class types: Basic Pistol

Course Notes:
      Price includes student gun rental and ammunition, indoor range fee, professional classroom, film, laser practice and all class materials.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

LEO - we are doing our next Basic Firearms Safety course on Saturday, May 10 here in Richmond from 12 noon - 5pm. The cost is $60. He can check it out at http://proactiveshooters.com/proacti...lable-courses/

Jim

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

It's hard to believe that anyone would have taken a hunter safety course that didn't meet the requirements:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

If your friend believes his course meets that requirement, he may just need to push back a little...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    From the NRA website, listed as a basic pistol course:

• [size="+0"]Fairfax - Saturday, May 10, 2008, Comfort Inn, $145
      Chip Lohman, 703-371-4234. , support@safepistol.com
      Class types: Basic Pistol

Course Notes:
      Price includes student gun rental and ammunition, indoor range fee, professional classroom, film, laser practice and all class materials.
    OK.. this sounds good.

I suspect it is this location:

Comfort Inn University Center
    11180 Fairfax Blvd , Fairfax, VA, US, 22030 | Phone: (703) 591-5900

His hunter safety class was from a long time ago so I guess it did not fit the criteria for approval.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    His hunter safety class was from a long time ago so I guess it did not fit the criteria for approval.
    Either that or FFX county is applying some extra-legal requirements. Proof of competency does not expire...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Clark Brothers in Opal, VA (Near Warrenton) does one every Saturday. The cost is &60, and it's a two or three hour course starting at 8 AM. You need to call ahead and sign up in advance.

http://www.clarkbrosguns.com/contact.html

This is the course that I took a little over two years ago. The instructor was very good, and I was out of there before lunch time.

Edit: For this course, you have to bring your own gun, and buy one box of ammo there.

Post imported post

dixiehacker wrote:
    Clark Brothers in Opal, VA (Near Warrenton) does one every Saturday. The cost is &60, and it's a two or three hour course starting at 8 AM. You need to call ahead and sign up in advance.

This is the course that I took a little over two years ago. The instructor was very good, and I was out of there before lunch time.

Edit: For this course, you have to bring your own gun, and buy one box of ammo there.
    Great!! I have passed it along to him!!

Post imported post

dixiehacker wrote:
    Clark Brothers in Opal, VA (Near Warrenton) does one every Saturday.¬* The cost is &60, and it's a two or three hour course starting at 8 AM.¬* You need to call ahead and sign up in advance.

This is the course that I took a little over two years ago.¬* The instructor was very good, and I was out of there before lunch time.

Edit:¬* For this course, you have to bring¬* your own gun, and buy one box of ammo there.
    This is where I took my class, but I had to sign up a month or so in advance so he may not get in within the 14 day limit. It could be they were just busy at the time. It's certainly worth checking out.

Post imported post

This is through Bob's Guns in Norfolk. It apparently flies in Norfolk and Suffolk...

http://www.concealed-carry.net/

Online class. Claims it counts in all Virginia Courts.

Post imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    This is through Bob's Guns in Norfolk. It apparently flies in Norfolk and Suffolk...

I had no idea this existed... thanks!! Passed it on to him.

Post imported post

My buddy did it after calling Suffolk and making sure through the clerk of the court that the judge would take it. I was dubious, but apparently they have no problem with it in Suffolk (who has a pretty strict judge...have to fingerprint, won't take a hunting license, etc).

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

ccunning wrote:
    dixiehacker wrote:

This is where I took my class, but I had to sign up a month or so in advance so he may not get in within the 14 day limit. It could be they were just busy at the time. It's certainly worth checking out.
    When I did mine, which was in January of 06, I put myself on the list two days before hand. That was a while ago, though.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    I have a friend that submitted his application to Fairfax County and used a hunter safety course for his competency but he was denied as the safety course was not approved!

He received a letter indicating he has 14 days to provide proof of competency to use this original application.
    Whooaaa nelly. Why exactly was the proof denied? I think instead of speindg coin he immediatly apply for a an ore tenus hearing - I will soon have a copy of the Va. Ct. of App. decision overturning Judge Freeman on denying competency poroof due to age - he should bring that the ore tenus hearing and ask the denial to be overturned.

Going off to another course let's this FFX judge off the hook! Please don't do it.

Post imported post

That's very odd. Arlington accepted my hunter safety training and it was from another state and 10 to 15 years earlier. I'm not sure what Fairfax's issue is.

Post imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:

Hmm.. I might have to check this out for my wife. We don't have an approved class for her, but she is a much better shooter than I am

Post imported post

I got my permit with a 4 year old hunter safety course from the DGIF. they could have cared less.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

I have never really had a problem showing proficiency certifications that were acceptable to the court, but they did tell me at one point they would not accept expired instructors certifications (Prince William). This seemed strange because any of my former students could use their certificates from classes I taught forever as they did not include any expiration date.

Perhaps LEO's friend has an expired instructors certification.

Just a thought.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Safety training does not expire in Virginia for purposes of CHP. If some judge is trying to sell you this baloney, please set him straight.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I am very skeptical of this "online training" that has been talked about recently. If I'm understanding this correctly, you just let the video run and then print your own certificate. Who's to say that you actually watched the video? I'm sure some folks will turn the video on, let it run while they're in the shower and then come back to print their cert.

Is there a test at the end to make sure that you retained anything? What if you actually get into a shooting situation and some smart lawyer finds out that you got your CHP by watching a video?

If it was me, I'd spend the few extra bucks and take a real course.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

He lives in Annandale and needs to attend a CC class as soon as possible so that he does not have to spend money on another application and wait 45 more days!

Does anyone know of anyplace holding classes?
    Very strange. When I lived in Fairfax CountyVirginia, I used a hunter saftey course certificationto renew my permit as I had lost my originalCC course paperwork. Mine went through without a hickup... Tookless than30 days.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

From the original post it sounds like the problem is not that it was a hunnter safty course or how long ago but the fact that the course was not reviews by the authorities and known to be good course. I would assume there is someway of making sure the certificate is not from some guy on ebay (send me $20 and I mail you a certificate).
    "Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have as much.'"- Phelps Adams

Post imported post

Is there a test at the end to make sure that you retained anything?
    Supposedly there's a twenty question test. But how can you prove who actually took the test?

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    Is there a test at the end to make sure that you retained anything?
    Supposedly there's a twenty question test. But how can you prove who actually took the test?
    How can you prove that a person that went to an in person course didn't sleep/daydream/do crossword puzzles through the whole thing?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast